Does your GPU sag?

Krzyimprt
2 hours ago, Pohernori said:

DSC_0120.JPG

Thank you again.  I just wish I found out that this was an option sooner.  I've got my Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070 coming tomorrow which has a backplate so hopefully it won't sag at all.  Though I'll definitely have to remember this when I reuse the 970.  

How did you mount that fan over the GPU?  Does it help keep the card cooler?

17 hours ago, Imakuni said:

Your sags as well, just to a diferent orientation (and to a much lessern extent). B|

Exactly how much sag do you really think there'd be with a horizontal motherboard mount?  

If the portion of the card extending past the PCIe slot did somehow flex, it wouldn't even be measurable through any conventional means.

You could also technically say that the portion of your motherboard that extends past the outer mounting points is sagging, but most people wouldn't say that, because while technically true, it's just silly.  O.o

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

You could also technically say the the portion of your motherboard that extends past the outer mounting points is sagging, but most people wouldn't say that, because while technically true, it's just silly.  

Wait... you didn't realize the joke, even with the little B|?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

5 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Wait... you didn't realize the joke, even with the little B|?

Wait..  What?  You didn't realize mine even with the "silly". 

Seriously though, no I didn't see it as that.  I must be getting old.  I took it as, the "look at me with the shades on because I'm technically still right, so..."

My bad! 

22 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Exactly how much sag do you really think there'd be with a horizontal motherboard mount?  

If the portion of the card extending past the PCIe slot did somehow flex, it wouldn't even be measurable through any conventional means.

You could also technically say that the portion of your motherboard that extends past the outer mounting points is sagging, but most people wouldn't say that, because while technically true, it's just silly.  O.o

Idk if a GPU on a horizontal motherboard could sag or if it did I don't think it would as much as a GPU on a vertical MB.  What I do think is more likely to sag or bend could be the MB itself.  If the GPU was heavy enough it could cause the horizontal MB to bend a little between the MB mounting points due to the weight of the GPU.  If I remember correctly there was someone on these forums a little while back that was having this problem with a horizontal mounted MB.  

14 hours ago, Imakuni said:

Every GPU sags...

You can't violate the laws of physics. That's why people come up with those crazy ghetto solutions in the first place, to try and please physics a bit better.

Mine doesn't. c:

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

13 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Mine doesn't. c:

Witchcraft!  ?  lol

Seriously a little jealous.  Even if it doesn't damage the GPU I'd still prefer it if mine didn't sag. 

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Idk if a GPU on a horizontal motherboard could sag or if it did I don't think it would as much as a GPU on a vertical MB.  What I do think is more likely to sag or bend could be the MB itself.  If the GPU was heavy enough it could cause the horizontal MB to bend a little between the MB mounting points due to the weight of the GPU.  If I remember correctly there was someone on these forums a little while back that was having this problem with a horizontal mounted MB.  

There's a thousand different ways to do something so anything is possible, but I personally went with a horizontal motherboard mount to get rid of GPU sag and it's worked out perfectly.  Full weight of water blocks, fittings hoses, and backplates is really no issue.  It also makes CPU swaps a breeze.

26 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

There's a thousand different ways to do something so anything is possible, but I personally went with a horizontal motherboard mount to get rid of GPU sag and it's worked out perfectly.  Full weight of water blocks, fittings hoses, and backplates is really no issue.  It also makes CPU swaps a breeze.

Yeah every setup is different so I'd think most horizontal MB setups will work as well as yours.  

16 hours ago, Krzyimprt said:

Does your GPU sag?

Over the years, I've used various solutions, including twist-ties. My previous case had a built-in bracket to hold the end of the GPU (Silverstone PS07B). My current Corsair 250D has the GPU vertically.

I noticed in the picture that you had the fan on the CPU cooler next to the rear exhaust fan. For better performance you should put the fan on the other side of the cooler, set to blow through the cooler towards the rear exhaust fan. For better airflow and (possibly), less turbulence and/or noise.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

17 hours ago, Mauricio G. B. said:

why is your cooler fan the other way arround?

he probably switch it around to improve airflow  

16 minutes ago, tech tv said:

he probably switch it around to improve airflow  

iirc 99% of the heatsink coolers and fans are made to push air through the cooler itself

Main PC:| CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4.1, MOBO: Asus B350 PRIME , RAM: LPX Vengance 2400 16gb kit, GPU: 980Ti Poseidon Platinum 6gb
                PSU: SilverStone Strider Gold Evolution 1200w , CASE: HAF 932  HDDs:240gb EX900 HP NVME 6TB (2x3 Seagate Barracuda)
                COOLING: ThermalTake Contac Silent 12
Laptop:MSI GL62 7RD  CPU: Core i5 7300HQ, RAM: 16GB 2400mhz, :GPU GTX 1050 2GB: HDDs: 256gb adata NVME + 1TB HDD

love all brands, will go for whats cheaper for my needs

3 minutes ago, Mauricio G. B. said:

iirc 99% of the heatsink coolers and fans are made to push air through the cooler itself

jea but it still doesn't matter luke probably made a workshop video about it, and you know how workshop video's end : it doesn't matter

5 minutes ago, tech tv said:

jea but it still doesn't matter luke probably made a workshop video about it, and you know how workshop video's end : it doesn't matter

most heatsink fans are pressure fans so it kinda does

Main PC:| CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4.1, MOBO: Asus B350 PRIME , RAM: LPX Vengance 2400 16gb kit, GPU: 980Ti Poseidon Platinum 6gb
                PSU: SilverStone Strider Gold Evolution 1200w , CASE: HAF 932  HDDs:240gb EX900 HP NVME 6TB (2x3 Seagate Barracuda)
                COOLING: ThermalTake Contac Silent 12
Laptop:MSI GL62 7RD  CPU: Core i5 7300HQ, RAM: 16GB 2400mhz, :GPU GTX 1050 2GB: HDDs: 256gb adata NVME + 1TB HDD

love all brands, will go for whats cheaper for my needs

I have some minor sag, not a whole lot you can do without putting in a brace or something. With that said, I don't think mine really justifies needing it. It's all subjective, as long as you're not overly sagging it should be fine. These things get tested.

IMG_20160319_023708.jpg

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

17 hours ago, IGJoe2192 said:

Silverstone Fortress FT-02, what sag? 

This guy gets it, here's mine :D

And yes, technically GPU sag will happen in any direction, but the fact that gravity is working against the IO bracket instead of the PCI-Express connector is the main benefit.

20160109_215050.jpg

11 minutes ago, ShaithEatery said:

This guy gets it, here's mine :D

Crappy picture but here is the current state of mine, until I get a pair of RX480's for crossfire. 

12715723_1015517805153983_5114601173830277794_n.jpg

22 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

That is a terrible PSU you know that right

It's enough for any single GPU. 40amps on the 12v rail. 3 year warranty. What more could you ask for?

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

12 minutes ago, Krzyimprt said:

It's enough for any single GPU. 40amps on the 12v rail. 3 year warranty. What more could you ask for?

Gold certification, Japanese capacitors, 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

22 hours ago, MegaDave91 said:

Mine has minimal sag. 

Gently pushing upward on the card as you insert the screws into the expansion slots helps.

This is how I did my cards also, I dont see no sag in them today. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Nope, I have a test bench :)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

22 hours ago, Mauricio G. B. said:

why is your cooler fan the other way arround?
also yes my 970 sags, its a really heavey edition g1 gaming windforce

Thank God for that sick ass looking backplate to help with sagging... Then again that backplate adds some weight....

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

Personally I think backplate help with stabilizing the card :P My new MSI Gaming X 1070 dont sag at all compare to my old MSI 970 that sag quite a bit and become a bit less saggy after I order a custom backplate for it

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

1 hour ago, Krzyimprt said:

In general, it's a pretty crappy design. It has poor capacitors, and in general isn't good.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.