Help on making an External GPU

I've been using an MSI GP60 laptop for the last 20 months, and I've enjoyed it so far. The only problem I have with it is that its graphical performance is starting to show where it is lacking. I've been looking into getting a new computer, but I don't really want to make any hasty decisions based on desperation, so I looked into what I could do to improve my already well-functioning laptop.

Then I discovered External GPU-thingies. I have little to no idea how they work other than that they're supposed to amplify your graphical performance and that they are great if you wanna use them with laptops, and I recently found out they're 'relatively' easy to make and use. The problem is, I don't know exactly how. I figured that I would be able to afford it, but I don't know if it'll work in the first place. That's why I showed up here.

I would really appreciate if someone could assist me on this, with tips and knowledge. I doubt that I will be trading up for a better system overall anytime soon, so this would be my best bet at getting an upgrade whatsoever. What I need help with is choosing parts that are compatible with my computer, what kind of a budget I need and any relevant information regarding External GPUs. I have read a few articles about external GPUs and I've learnt that I need a Thunderbolt port (which I have) and possibly a PSU for the external GPU (since the PSU I have for my computer is doubtfully able to deal with a desktop sized GPU and the laptop itself). My hopes are to get enough graphical performance to play most games at 60 FPS at maximum (or at least 'high') graphical settings on a 1080p monitor. 

I appreciate any help! Especially if it comes in the form of a descriptive text.

Best regards, Sevarsuab

I'm sorry I can't give you any sort of how-to guide. I don't there is one method that works for anyone. I'll try and elaborate. 

The gist of it is that the internal GPU and display are completely replaced with the external units. You'll need a GPU, a power supply for it, a monitor and the cables to connect it all together. So technically this is not an amplification as much as replacement. Depending on stuff you may or may not be able to retain the use of your integrated monitor. The 'stuff' being for example, will your chipset force the integrated GPU entirely off with the external installed? I don't know. It definitely can.

Now, there are a number of ways to connect external devices to a laptop but a GPU specifically needs a high-bandwith connection diretly to the CPU without a dedicated controller in between. So in terms of connections, your options are Thunderbolt and PCI Express. So no, USB won't do even if it's 3.0 and even if you have multiple connectors to dedicate for this. The laptop you have doesn't have Thunderbolt so you're stuck with PCI-E.

Almost every laptop these days has a mini-PCI-E connector in it. It's usually populated by the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth chip so that needs to be replaced. Those you can get back with USB adapters, if you need them. So basically, you yank out the Wi-Fi card and put a mPCI-E to PCI-Ex1 cable in it's stead. One like this one. Preferably one with a bit longer cable. The flat cable will come out from between the covers in the bottom of chassis and you slot the GPU in the PCI-Ex1 connector. Plug in the PSU and the monitor and you get to install the drivers.

Sadly the main reason these haven't taken flight in the five or so years all of this ha been in the market, is the drivers. More often than not there are issues with them and you basically need to find a way to fix it yourself. Recently Nvidia has been active in including the ability to have external GPUs in their drivers, so I guess that's your best bet. But again, a DIY solution will always be DIY...

Also, the mPCI-E can only be converted into PCI-Ex1 which, while works, is a poor solution for a highend GPU. The bandwidth is fast but narrow the GPUs these days really need at the very least four times that bandwidth. So you need to ponder between getting a hardcore GPU and wasting it's power or getting a poor GPU and not be able to max out in games.

The recently released ready solutions like this require Thunderbolt too. In a few short years we're going to have a Thunderbolt connection via USB type-C in any given laptop and all this won't be such a pain in the ass. I'll personally be waiting. 

15 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

I'm sorry I can't give you any sort of how-to guide. I don't there is one method that works for anyone. I'll try and elaborate. 

The gist of it is that the internal GPU and display are completely replaced with the external units. You'll need a GPU, a power supply for it, a monitor and the cables to connect it all together. So technically this is not an amplification as much as replacement. Depending on stuff you may or may not be able to retain the use of your integrated monitor. The 'stuff' being for example, will your chipset force the integrated GPU entirely off with the external installed? I don't know. It definitely can.

Now, there are a number of ways to connect external devices to a laptop but a GPU specifically needs a high-bandwith connection diretly to the CPU without a dedicated controller in between. So in terms of connections, your options are Thunderbolt and PCI Express. So no, USB won't do even if it's 3.0 and even if you have multiple connectors to dedicate for this. The laptop you have doesn't have Thunderbolt so you're stuck with PCI-E.

Almost every laptop these days has a mini-PCI-E connector in it. It's usually populated by the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth chip so that needs to be replaced. Those you can get back with USB adapters, if you need them. So basically, you yank out the Wi-Fi card and put a mPCI-E to PCI-Ex1 cable in it's stead. One like this one. Preferably one with a bit longer cable. The flat cable will come out from between the covers in the bottom of chassis and you slot the GPU in the PCI-Ex1 connector. Plug in the PSU and the monitor and you get to install the drivers.

Sadly the main reason these haven't taken flight in the five or so years all of this ha been in the market, is the drivers. More often than not there are issues with them and you basically need to find a way to fix it yourself. Recently Nvidia has been active in including the ability to have external GPUs in their drivers, so I guess that's your best bet. But again, a DIY solution will always be DIY...

Also, the mPCI-E can only be converted into PCI-Ex1 which, while works, is a poor solution for a highend GPU. The bandwidth is fast but narrow the GPUs these days really need at the very least four times that bandwidth. So you need to ponder between getting a hardcore GPU and wasting it's power or getting a poor GPU and not be able to max out in games.

The recently released ready solutions like this require Thunderbolt too. In a few short years we're going to have a Thunderbolt connection via USB type-C in any given laptop and all this won't be such a pain in the ass. I'll personally be waiting. 

9kn8eKA.jpg Is this the mini PCI-E port your referring to? Have I mistaken this for a Thunderbolt port? :S The markings above the port are chain links if that's unclear.

3 minutes ago, Sevarsuab said:

Is this the mini PCI-E port your referring to? Have I mistaken this for a Thunderbolt port? :S The markings above the port are chain links if that's unclear.

No. That's the Kensington lock slot. For one of these wire locks to secure it to the table or something so it won't be stolen. mPCI-E is an internal connector. You'd have to open the laptop up and mess with the circuitboards. The Wi-Fi card is the one in the lower right in this picture. 

17 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

No. That's the Kensington lock slot. For one of these wire locks to secure it to the table or something so it won't be stolen. mPCI-E is an internal connector. You'd have to open the laptop up and mess with the circuitboards. The Wi-Fi card is the one in the lower right in this picture. 

Thank you for all the help, but this sounds way too complicated for me. I guess I should enjoy what I already have!