Linustechtips 30 Days iSwitched to Linux

Linus has mentioned a couple of times in videos that he's tried out Ubuntu. Wondering if there is any interest in doing an iSwitched to Linux video. With the news on SteamOS (also being linux based), this might be an interesting thing to give a review on. Maybe Slick & Co. can weigh in if there are any open source options they would consider using for video editing, etc.... Thoughts?

that would be epic :P 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

He always could, but It'd be a big hindrance as he does work on windows programs I believe

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

He always could, but It'd be a big hindrance as he does work on windows programs I believe

It might not need to be an entire iSwitched, but a decent review of its merits and drawbacks would be interesting, and informative to many users.

Dell ships laptops with ubuntu, so that might be a way to get sponsorship for such a review?

It might not need to be an entire iSwitched, but a decent review of its merits and drawbacks would be interesting, and informative to many users.

Dell ships laptops with ubuntu, so that might be a way to get sponsorship for such a review?

That might be interesting, I can't say for myself as I'm not interested but some might be

Lol this would be funny

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

Welcome to the forum!!!!!

current system:  i5 2500k @4.5ghz cooled by antec 620 - asrock z77 extreme 4 - 8gb corsair RAM - MSI Twin Frorz 7950 in crossfire - XFX 850w  - Fractal design R4 - samsung 840 120gb ssd - 500gb wd blue hdd - 1440p korean qnix monitor (love it!)

Linux doesn't really have the tools he needs to do his job, but it would be pretty cool to see a video about this.

You can do pretty much anything on Linux. I doubt the problem is the lack program alternatives and so on. Probably rather the fact that he had to run up to slick 600x a day cause he cannot get stuff working =P

But it'd be really awesome to see a 30days I switched. Perhaps on his laptop or something. But not Ubuntu, at least Debian, or give the man some ArchLinux =P

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Maybe he could do it for his own personal pc, not for the ones they have at Linusmediagroup.

"It's like all common sense just goes out of the window when a computer is involved."

Actually Linus should just install some very difficult Linux distro on all the computers and film how long it takes for everyone to adjust to the new OS and programs. And calculate how much money he loses

I think that those who want to use Linux will use it. And Linux is a very broad term - it's like saying: "I now have a diesel car." - it's not really relevant as you don't have enough informations.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I think that those who want to use Linux will use it. And Linux is a very broad term - it's like saying: "I now have a diesel car." - it's not really relevant as you don't have enough informations.

Even the term Android is broad(NOt quite as broad) since you can use many custom ROMs etc..

PS Happy 500th post!

Even the term Android is broad(NOt quite as broad) since you can use many custom ROMs etc..

PS Happy 500th post!

Now that you've mentioned Android. We can all agree that Linus already did iSwitched to Linux as Android is Linux based. 

I didn't even notice I'm already at 500 posts :)

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I voted no, because an OS isn't really like a phone.  A phone is all encompassing an is made to work in a very specific way.  Linux is an OS and to me an OS is all about the programs you can use with it.  We all know Linux is very open and can be customized, which is cool and all, but it wouldn't really be much to talk about.  This would ne like an iSwitched to a triple monitor setup. We all know pretty much what it would be and it wouldn't be that fun to watch.

Actually Linus should just install some very difficult Linux distro on all the computers and film how long it takes for everyone to adjust to the new OS and programs. And calculate how much money he loses

Heh. This is exactly the issue.

And installing it on my home PC doesn't really help much because I'm often working on that as well..

Linus

Linux would be cool, or atleast some videos that use it?

Maybe a couple of cool uses of a Raspberry Pi, cheap, linux based and lots of cool uses. I've used mine for a VPN, Torrent Server/Auto Downloader, Media Centre, Personal Cloud. Would be cool and its also such a cheap project most people can give it a try. Its like £30 for the unit and a case, and the rest like SD Card, ethernet cable, MicroUSB power etc most techy people have lying around.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

No, what's the point? Nothing is really supported and very few people use it

Hmmm seems Like you've never used it in the past 5 years.

Welcome to the forum!!!!!

Thank you!

Heh. This is exactly the issue.

And installing it on my home PC doesn't really help much because I'm often working on that as well..

Linus

Thanks for commenting. Fair enough, I knew it was a bit of a long shot, and in the end, the bottom line is getting your work done. Well, maybe someday, I can only dream. Or maybe, "delegate" it to slick :P

Using "linux alternatives" to programmes and wine where possible i think he could survive 30 days with linux (ubuntu in specific). Maybe some problems with drivers though.

FX 6300 | Sapphire 7770 | G-Skill Ares 8GB | WD Blue 1TB | ASUS M5A78L-M

Tritton Kunai | Logitech Proteus Core G502 | Razer Blackwidow Tournament 

Fedora or Ubuntu or Mint are more noob friendly than any version of windows. I.e. everything works out of the box perfectly. Good luck with Arch or Gentoo or Slackware or Debian though. :D

Linux with Linus FTW.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715