i7 4790K or Xeon E3-1246 V3

Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

the xeons more so come down to performance per dollar, while the desktop K parts are more expensive, and a tad faster.

if the budget for a Z chipset mobo and a K part is there, you honestly should. even if you wont OC it now, chances are it'll be a bit sluggish feeling in a few years, and then you can OC it to squeeze an extra year or so of lifespan out of it while you plan out your upgrade.

also, the 4790k comes out the box faster than the 4790, and the xeon.

Alright, I've already got a Xeon thread, but I've researched the Xeon a bit more and I've brought upon the title's question. Same as the other thread, all pros and cons of both chips since I'm still, well, iffy on my knowledge when it comes to Xeons. Also, I don't really care if it's oc'able or not. Wasn't going to oc the 4790k anyway.

*Edit: Will be used for gaming and often 3d rendering and will be paired with a 1070*

Nothing.

If you're not worried about price the 4790k will give you the best performance, even if not overclocked.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, TheSuspect said:

Alright, I've already got a Xeon thread, but I've researched the Xeon a bit more and I've brought upon the title's question. Same as the other thread, all pros and cons of both chips since I'm still, well, iffy on my knowledge when it comes to Xeons. Also, I don't really care if it's oc'able or not. Wasn't going to oc the 4790k anyway.

1.Why but a K series CPU if not going to overclock it? just save $30 and get a 4790

2.i7 4790k Advantages : Better single core performance

3.Xeon : lower TDP by 4w

i say just save a couple bucks and go for the 4790 since the Xeons are usually server builds on a rendering machine they are usable for gaming but its not the same

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

the xeons more so come down to performance per dollar, while the desktop K parts are more expensive, and a tad faster.

if the budget for a Z chipset mobo and a K part is there, you honestly should. even if you wont OC it now, chances are it'll be a bit sluggish feeling in a few years, and then you can OC it to squeeze an extra year or so of lifespan out of it while you plan out your upgrade.

7 minutes ago, The Realist said:

1.Why but a K series CPU if not going to overclock it? just save $30 and get a 4790

i say just save a couple bucks and go for the 4790 since the Xeons are usually server builds on a rendering machine they are usable for gaming but its not the same

Xeon's are the same, sometimes minus the iGPU, and the overclock. They also support ECC.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

7 minutes ago, The Realist said:

I would agree with you and oh my your avatar is so mezmorizing. Xeons are made for heavy work loads and constant work loads the 4790 is more of a gamer cpu. 

2 minutes ago, danielporsh911 said:

I would agree with you and oh my your avatar is so mezmorizing. Xeons are made for heavy work loads and constant work loads the 4790 is more of a gamer cpu. 

No, the i7 is not for gamers...

1 minute ago, danielporsh911 said:

common misconception, xeons and i7's basicly are the same silicon, in fact the xeon OP is planning on is for all intents and purposes just a different bin 4790.

IMO xeons on desktop boards aka 11xx unless cheaper are not worth it so just get the i7

Steve

1 minute ago, Laputacake said:

IMO xeons on desktop boards aka 11xx unless cheaper are not worth it so just get the i7

the deal is kinda just that they're cheaper :P (oh, and ECC.)

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Xeon's are the same, sometimes minus the iGPU, and the overclock. They also support ECC.

Xeons are not the same if lets say a Xeon is clocked at 4.0 Ghz so is the i7 , if they both have 4 cores and 8 threads , its not the same Xeons are MADE for servers,rendering machines,hosting machines.Thats what they are best and they cannot be the same as a i7 4790k or 4790 for gaming since thats not what they are meant for they can be used for gaming but its not the same architecture,i7's and any "i" is made for home use Xeons are made for servers

5 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Alright, thanks 8)

Nothing.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

What gamer is going to buy ECC memory for gaming?

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

Yea, the 1230 v3 is perfect but the higher models go to becoming more expensive than their core counterparts.

Steve

1 minute ago, The Realist said:

cus ECC give 10 fps innit.

Steve

20 minutes ago, TheSuspect said:

*Edit: Will be used for gaming and often 3d rendering and will be paired with a 1070*

Why did you not say your going to do 3d rendering go for the Xeon since they are perfect for that,the gaming experience will not be the same but it will Hold up...

cus ECC give 10 fps innit.

Honestly ecc is useless for a gamer.

1 minute ago, The Realist said:

Why did you not say your going to do 3d rendering go for the Xeon since they are perfect for that,the gaming experience will not be the same but it will Hold up...

How exactly is a Xeon different from an i7 in 3d rendering? They have the same number of cores and threads, right? (Sorry for my ignorance xd)

Nothing.

2 minutes ago, danielporsh911 said:

Honestly ecc is useless for a gamer.

Sorry, i must have forgotten the /s

Steve

1 minute ago, TheSuspect said:

How exactly is a Xeon different from an i7 in 3d rendering? They have the same number of cores and threads, right? (Sorry for my ignorance xd)

The architecture is very different Xeon's are made for 3D Rendering,Servers,Host Machines and thats what there architecture is for the i7,i5,i3 is for home use  and thats why gamers use them usually Xeons are expensive because they offer you a little less performance in gaming but do offer you faster Rendering,Servers,Host Machines id say go for the Xeon since you plan on doing 3D Rendering which for a i7 is stressful even with the same amount of cores and threads Xeons hold up better

3 minutes ago, The Realist said:

The architecture is very different Xeon's are made for 3D Rendering,Servers,Host Machines and thats what there architecture is for the i7,i5,i3 is for home use  and thats why gamers use them usually Xeons are expensive because they offer you a little less performance in gaming but do offer you faster Rendering,Servers,Host Machines id say go for the Xeon since you plan on doing 3D Rendering which for a i7 is stressful even with the same amount of cores and threads Xeons hold up better

Any benchmarks?

Nothing.

10 minutes ago, The Realist said:

exactly.

4 minutes ago, The Realist said:

The architecture is very different

wrong. they're pretty much the complete exact same silicon.

3 minutes ago, TheSuspect said:

Any benchmarks?

They're the same except the I7 is clocked higher and allows for overclocking so if they're the same price get the 4790k. The only time xeons exceed I7s are on the 2011 platform including x99.

Steve

They're the same except the I7 is clocked higher

you pretty much explained where the whole "xeons suck for gaming" thing comes from.

xeons generally are clocked lower, in the i5/i7-like range this is usually pretty neglible, but up in the e5 range it can often be a very large difference, hence you never should put an 18 core xeon in a gaming rig, LINUS! :P