Best cpu right now for gaming?

4 hours ago, stconquest said:

Those temps are really good, but I am not familiar with P95 settings. 

If you want a CPU upgrade, go for it:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€310.85 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€57.59 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (€65.55 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€80.64 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €514.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-19 15:12 CEST+0200

i think i read that OP ran p95 for less than 5 mins. id say to get a baseline temp reading you have to run for at least 15 min. i run p95 on my system all night when i dropped my cpu into the socket and damaged it. i fixed the socket but ran p95 to see if it freezes . and it is fully stable after a 12 hour run of p95 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

58 minutes ago, DXMember said:

get second one, they're 250 right now and then get either unlocked Ivy Bridge that you can pop into your current board or go for the Skylake stuff

But it should max it out with the current gpu, there should be no need for it.

Which one ivy bridge?

59 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

i think i read that OP ran p95 for less than 5 mins. id say to get a baseline temp reading you have to run for at least 15 min. i run p95 on my system all night when i dropped my cpu into the socket and damaged it. i fixed the socket but ran p95 to see if it freezes . and it is fully stable after a 12 hour run of p95 

I did a comparison, both were ran for 10 minutes but the first one made my cpu go 60+ from less than 5 minutes.

1 minute ago, TwinDenis said:

But it should max it out with the current gpu, there should be no need for it.

Which one ivy bridge?

well since you have X79 board then probably either 4930K or 4960X depending on the cost, and overclock those to like 4.5~4.6

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

well since you have X79 board then probably either 4930K or 4960X depending on the cost, and overclock those to like 4.5~4.6

he has a dell proprietary board 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

he has a dell proprietary board 

does dell have a proprietary 2011 socket?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

1 hour ago, DXMember said:

This is crazy, 1000$ for a cpu? The overall cost of assembling a new gaming pc would be for the same amount or less for upgrades.

The board cannot allow for overclocks.

4 hours ago, DXMember said:

does dell have a proprietary 2011 socket?

his board has a workstation chipset for xeons only... cmon think a little will ya? .. why would dell shove a expensive OC chipset in a board that has a CPU that CAN't OC. -_- 

1 minute ago, TwinDenis said:

This is crazy, 1000$ for a cpu? The overall cost of assembling a new gaming pc would be for the same amount or less for upgrades.

4960X should be a lot cheaper, it's like from 2013 or something... try e-bay or get the 4930K then

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

4960X should be a lot cheaper, it's like from 2013 or something... try e-bay or get the 4930K then

wont work in his board. his board doesnt have an x79 chipset 

59 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

his board has a workstation chipset for xeons only... cmon think.. why would dell shove a expensive OC chipset in a board thats not for that 

From what he says he has no idea, the prices are over the board for what I ask for.

CMon, add logic, I just want to max a game, I dont need a fortune for it.

Long live consoles with that logic.

2 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

From what he says he has no idea, the prices are over the board for what I ask for.

CMon, add logic, I just want to max a game, I dont need a fortune for it.

Long live consoles with that logic.

wait what were the games you wanted to play? ill use my older xeon rig to play them rn if they are free to play to see if it is your system that is having the issue

7 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

his board has a workstation chipset for xeons only... cmon think.. why would dell shove a expensive OC chipset in a board thats not for that 

is it not an X79? that's quite sad then...

probly should abandon it in that case if you're having performance issues

THIS IS NOT A PERFORMANCE ISSUE:

58 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

wait what were the games you wanted to play? ill use my older xeon rig to play them rn if they are free to play to see if it is your system that is having the issue

Black desert online on high end or highest.

Tera EU version

Heroes of the storm

, I will pm you a gift because one of them is not free.

Black desert runs well but depending on where I am the higher the setting the heavier the fps drop, high end mode is the one that kneels most machines I guess. I use gtx980 4gb oc windforce.

3 minutes ago, DXMember said:

is it not an X79? that's quite sad then...

probly should abandon it in that case if you're having performance issues

Reveal hidden contents

THIS IS NOT A PERFORMANCE ISSUE:

that chip is still more than capable in todays workload. maybe worse case scenario OP just rebuilds his rig using the same cpu and finding a non proprietary supermicro board. abandoning ship is a waste of money when you have a more than capable chip. the issue at hand can be either low volts or heat. 

OP if you upgrade to skylake your just wasting money when you have a more than capable rig. my old rig from 2006 still plays bf4 on ultra settings with 50 to 60 fps after a GPU upgrade. and BF4 is pretty CPU intensive. if a potato pc from 2006 can hold up to triple a titles then theres no reason why your much newer chip cant. 

58 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

OP if you upgrade to skylake your just wasting money when you have a more than capable rig. my old rig from 2006 still plays bf4 on ultra settings with 50 to 60 fps after a GPU upgrade. and BF4 is pretty CPU intensive. if a potato pc from 2006 can hold up to triple a titles then theres no reason why your much newer chip cant. 

I know. I just ask, we need to troubleshoot it or see what is up.

Am I too late to say some games are just badly coded and will make you think you have a "bottleneck" when none exists?

Example, I looked over some ARMA 3 benchmarks I did a while ago on my current rig. The CPU wasn't pegged higher than 40% and this was during a show case map with some force on force action.

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Am I too late to say some games are just badly coded and will make you think you have a "bottleneck" when none exists?

Example, I looked over some ARMA 3 benchmarks I did a while ago on my current rig. The CPU wasn't pegged higher than 40% and this was during a show case map with some force on force action.

yes OP has stated that before that it could be an issue with the poor optimization of the game 

2 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

yes OP has stated that before that it could be an issue with the poor optimization of the game 

We will just have to wait for your benchmarks and see, although try to run tera specifically with both the xeon build and your normal gaming build.

13 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

We will just have to wait for your benchmarks and see, although try to run tera specifically with both the xeon build and your normal gaming build.

I think I ran Tera on my old Radeon 5850, yeah I am sure of it.

This is what my i5 + R9 280 would look like:  http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1008&game=Tera-Online&p_make=Intel&p_deriv=Core+i5-3570K+3.4GHz&gc_make=ATI&gc_deriv=Radeon+R9+280+Gigabyte+WindForce+3X+OC+3GB+Edition&ram=16&checkSubmit=#systemrequirements

Remember, all I am saying is that your PC is capable of running these games fine.  Something is faulty... hardware or software side.  Best of luck, I know you can figure it out.

1 hour ago, stconquest said:

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1008&game=Tera-Online&p_make=Intel&p_deriv=Xeon+E5-1620&gc_make=Nvidia&gc_deriv=GeForce+GTX+980+MSI+Gaming+4GB+Edition&ram=16&screenRes_width_FPS=1920&screenRes_height_FPS=1200&checkSubmit=#systemrequirements

Here is mine, I supposed it is correct although the graphics card I reported is a lesser edition of what I purchased, its the windforce one.

Anyway, I know I meet the specs but then again whats up here...?

As a reminder, the in game settings do not affect my performance, same applies for my nvidia cp settings as I followed every optimization guide I came across.

1 hour ago, TwinDenis said:

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1008&game=Tera-Online&p_make=Intel&p_deriv=Xeon+E5-1620&gc_make=Nvidia&gc_deriv=GeForce+GTX+980+MSI+Gaming+4GB+Edition&ram=16&screenRes_width_FPS=1920&screenRes_height_FPS=1200&checkSubmit=#systemrequirements

Here is mine, I supposed it is correct although the graphics card I reported is a lesser edition of what I purchased, its the windforce one.

As a reminder, the in game settings do not affect my performance, same applies for my nvidia cp settings as I followed every optimization guide I came across.

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1008&game=Tera-Online&popSysReqRAM=16&popSysReqWidth=1920&popSysReqHeight=1200&p_make=Intel&p_deriv=Core+i7-5960X+8-Core+3.0GHz&gc_make=Nvidia&gc_deriv=GeForce+GTX+760+Asus+DirectCU+II+OC+Edition&ram=16&checkSubmit=#systemrequirements

here is mines. note that they didn't have an option for me to put 24GB of ram and i couldn't put both of my Xeons in so i picked the cpu that had the most close performance to it which is the 5960x 

1 hour ago, TwinDenis said:

You can test on the software side... which you have done plenty of...

... or you can try the hardware side.  It is not the CPU or GPU.  So you have a few things left:  Motherboard, RAM, storage drive/SSD and of course... that damn PSU.

Open the case up and look for the power to the motherboard.  Count the pins damnit.  If it is 24 pins, go buy a regular ATX PSU.  Check the CPU power as well should be 4/8 pin.

59 minutes ago, stconquest said:

You can test on the software side... which you have done plenty of...

... or you can try the hardware side.  It is not the CPU or GPU.  So you have a few things left:  Motherboard, RAM, storage drive/SSD and of course... that damn PSU.

Open the case up and look for the power to the motherboard.  Count the pins damnit.  If it is 24 pins, go buy a regular ATX PSU.  Check the CPU power as well should be 4/8 pin.

Ram is out of the question as well, I changed/upgrade, see my other thread.