Best cpu right now for gaming?

1 minute ago, TwinDenis said:

Ram is out of the question as well, I changed/upgrade, see my other thread.

Think about it.  Each rail provides up to 218W.  Your GPU uses one rail.  How old is this PSU?  As capacitors degrade, so does the capability of the PSU. 

59 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Think about it.  Each rail provides up to 218W.  Your GPU uses one rail.  How old is this PSU?  As capacitors degrade, so does the capability of the PSU. 

Please do not cycle me around the subject, I need one and only answer for if it is or it is not the issue.

2 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

Please do not cycle me around the subject, I need one and only answer for if it is or it is not the issue.

You have to try things on your own.  If you are unwilling to try things, it does not matter what we suggest.

You came here asking about a platform upgrade (CPU/motherboard/RAM), which means a PSU upgrade should logically follow.  Now if you are will to buy all those new parts, why would you not try just buying a PSU first since you will need one anyways.

That guy did not account for degradation of the unit... know why?  He has no idea, just like me.  We are trying to direct you.  He said software.  I say PSU.  You need to buy a new one anyways.

If you try it my way, you get a new CPU cooler and a PSU... if that fixes nothing... you keep moving towards a new CPU/motherboard.

1 hour ago, stconquest said:

You have to try things on your own.  If you are unwilling to try things, it does not matter what we suggest.

You came here asking about a platform upgrade (CPU/motherboard/RAM), which means a PSU upgrade should logically follow.  Now if you are will to buy all those new parts, why would you not try just buying a PSU first since you will need one anyways.

That guy did not account for degradation of the unit... know why?  He has no idea, just like me.  We are trying to direct you.  He said software.  I say PSU.  You need to buy a new one anyways.

If you try it my way, you get a new CPU cooler and a PSU... if that fixes nothing... you keep moving towards a new CPU/motherboard.

What does that have to do with the fact that on the one side I am told that technically the psu is fine and on the other that I need to change that? I Posted that thread over there because I attempted exactly what you are telling me now, its obvious that I did and you still keep on telling me the same, we move on to the subject over there if thats the case

Okay so what should I change? what should I buy? What should I check and how?

That guy by the way ended the thread as it seems no one is helping besides him for the subject...

28 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

What does that have to do with the fact that on the one side I am told that technically the psu is fine and on the other that I need to change that? I Posted that thread over there because I attempted exactly what you are telling me now, its obvious that I did and you still keep on telling me the same, we move on to the subject over there if thats the case

24 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

Okay so what should I change? what should I buy? What should I check and how?

That guy by the way ended the thread as it seems no one is helping besides him for the subject...

You are responsible for taking the information given here and finding out if it is true or not.  You, not me and not anyone else here.  If someone on this forum, in one of your many threads, is right... guess what?  You may never know, because your only method of investigation is to start a new thread and get more input. 

You have to take the initiative.  Anyways, I hope you solve your problem.  I am done.  I want to be done here.

I found this: http://www.overclock.net/t/1339489/high-temps-on-stock-setup-xeon-e5-1620

It is related to my machine and its temps,

Should I use Speedfan? With auto bios option I get 72+ package temps on final fantasy 14.

On medium I get lower temps, even if this isnt the issue we should at least check on it.

I also found the detailed specs here, correct me if I am wrong http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon E5-1620.html

2 hours ago, stconquest said:

You are responsible for taking the information given here and finding out if it is true or not.  You, not me and not anyone else here.  If someone on this forum, in one of your many threads, is right... guess what?  You may never know, because your only method of investigation is to start a new thread and get more input. 

You have to take the initiative.  Anyways, I hope you solve your problem.  I am done.  I want to be done here.

Ok sure, you are not forced to stay, what my point is , is that I am not a tech expert thats why I ask on tech forums, investigating with missing information is risky. I did what I could though. I will ask dell tech for info, what would you recommend me to ask them so we have our conclusion? They should have the answer to your questions, I usually call them when I dont know something and may need to make any change.

21 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

Ok sure, you are not forced to stay, what my point is , is that I am not a tech expert thats why I ask on tech forums, investigating with missing information is risky. I did what I could though. I will ask dell tech for info, what would you recommend me to ask them so we have our conclusion? They should have the answer to your questions, I usually call them when I dont know something and may need to make any change.

C'mon man.  You aren't listening well.  "Our conclusion" & "your questions"?  This is not my PC.  It is yours.  I am not saying I don't want to help you figure it out.  I am saying you don't want to figure it out.  You just say you do.  If you really wanted to figure out your problem you would know my question already:

Is there a chance the PSU is not capable of supporting the hardware, being so damn old?

Oh wait, some guy in another thread the PSU is not an issue, so you forget the argument I made.  Fair enough.  I am out of suggestions.

Just to recap so you understand:

I said:  The PSU's rated wattage might not hold true and the unit has degraded over time.  It might not be enough to support the GTX 980.

He said:  Because the GTX 980 also gets power from the PCI-E socket and the power connector, the power is split between two rails and therefore it is enough.

Now it is up to you to figure out whether or not the PSU is a problem.  Only one of us is right.

59 minutes ago, stconquest said:

C'mon man.  You aren't listening well.  "Our conclusion" & "your questions"?  This is not my PC.  It is yours.  I am not saying I don't want to help you figure it out.  I am saying you don't want to figure it out.  You just say you do.  If you really wanted to figure out your problem you would know my question already:

Is there a chance the PSU is not capable of support the hardware, being so damn old?

Oh wait, some guy in another thread the PSU is not an issue, so you forget the argument I made.  Fair enough.  I am out of suggestions.

I said:  The PSU's rated wattage might not hold true and the unit has degraded over time.  It might not be enough to support the GTX 980.

He said:  Because the GTX 980 also gets power from the PCI-E as well as the power connectors, the power is split between two rails and therefore it is enough.

Psu info I found so far:

Model Number:NVC7F 0NVC7F CN-0NVC7F

Interface Type:24Pin

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/SALE-NVC7F-D635EF-00-DPS-635AB-A-PSU-for-Dell-Precision-T3600-T5600-635W-Power-Supply/32604368455.html

Is this the information you need?

"Pins"

Could this be it?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-For-Dell-Precision-T3600-T3610-Power-Distribution-Board-Backplane-599RD-0599RD-CN-0599RD-100-Test/32609245613.html

genuine-dell-precision-t3600-power-supply-adapter-card-part-no-599rd-300w-900af4008cc475701700c1ae2f5ba517.jpg

25 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

You are showing me a PSU that might be equally capable/incapable of supporting your hardware as the one you currently have. 

Standard ATX power supplies have a 24 pin and a 8 pin.  Will that work in your motherboard?

Don't you dare ask me if it will work in your motherboard in the next post.

:oxD

Is there a chance the PSU is not capable of support the hardware, being so damn old?

He said:  Because the GTX 980 also gets power from the PCI-E as well as the power connectors, the power is split between two rails and therefore it is enough.

I am under depression with the matter -_-

I wont as if it will, work, I will ask something different,

Is the answer "Yes" the answer to the question "Will that work in your motherboard?" :/ 

(I cheated)

From what I understand it would, the real question is would it fit?

Yeah it took me a while to find what you meant so I think I found reliable images.

To be honest Dell Case had something that popped out of the cap of the case inwards and I had to remove it in order to fit my gtx980 because they do not consider upgrades aside from their line of products.

So yeah, but there are models out there which come out with big GPUs.

Aaaanyway, so we only see cooling and power supply as possible culprits, since I changed GPUs and CPUs, dell support swapped my CPU Fan as well once although under load it gets hotter than it should according the to specs sheet.

Bios Options for fan control: Auto, High, Medium, Low (High and Medium are very noisy, in auto There are the temps reported above)

Also I wanted to show you guys this:

I maxed out my fans (Noisiest possible scenario for fans),

I had indeed better fps but still low. I just compared how it would run with 65c+ and how with 40-50c,

When I had low fan speed I had 40-50-55-fps best, when on max fan speed 50-70-88fps still depending on area, but I used the same area to benchmark. There where areas where I would get 40-50 fps even with max fan speed. Depends.

Here are the records while tera was running at max fan speed as said above.

Consider I had unlocked my fps, yeah it increased but there is something missing still, as you can see my cpu utilization is supposed to be low.

teramegautilization.png

22 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

cores, threads, potatoes - same shit

If hyperthreading provides multiple threads per core then pretty sure they're not the same.  Or at least not the same number assuming a program/game an make use of multiple threads.

22 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

Games use a LOT more than 4 cores nowadays. And I am 99% sure your issues are driver-based, not CPU-based. Try using DDU to install 361.75 and see if that helps. Again, your CPU is a very competent one. I doubt that is bottlenecking - hell, it's more powerful than quite a few i5s and peopl are using them just fine

What games use even 3-4 cores or ones that use more?  I know I've been told that most if not all games don't make use of more than 1-2 cores.  Not sure about how many threads buy I'm sure it was 1-2 cores that I was told.  

This is one reason that an i5 is recommended for gaming so often because not many games would take advantage of the extra threads that hyperthreading on an i7 would provide if I remember correctly.  

So for fans, I am between one of those:

Thermaltake Frio Silent 14

Thermalright Macho X2

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO

Thermalright Macho 120 Rev.A

Or something else you may suggest that could be silent, I read that they are good and that thermaltake frio silent 14 is the most silent but then again I dont know, I want it to be silent while I am gaming and still keep the system cool under  a safe zone of temperatures so it doesnt throttle.

16 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

So for fans, I am between one of those:

Thermaltake Frio Silent 14

Thermalright Macho X2

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO

Thermalright Macho 120 Rev.A

Or something else you may suggest that could be silent, I read that they are good and that thermaltake frio silent 14 is the most silent but then again I dont know, I want it to be silent while I am gaming and still keep the system cool under  a safe zone of temperatures so it doesnt throttle.

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-TS140&c=CJ

44 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What games use even 3-4 cores or ones that use more?  I know I've been told that most if not all games don't make use of more than 1-2 cores.  Not sure about how many threads buy I'm sure it was 1-2 cores that I was told.  

This is one reason that an i5 is recommended for gaming so often because not many games would take advantage of the extra threads that hyperthreading on an i7 would provide if I remember correctly.  

That used to be the case. but with DX12 and the octa-core consoles devs changed the way they make games. You see, the Xbox 360 and PS3 were single-core machines thus games were coded with 1-2 cores in mind and ported over with 1-2 cores in mind. Now consoles are 8-core machines and things are coded with 8 or more in mind. Just check any modern game like Witcher 3, GTA V, Hitman 2016, Quantum Break, Battlefield 4 and etc.

Also, games see threads and cores as the same thing. They can't make out the difference.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, TwinDenis said:

So... does it fit the motherboard/case? and what if it is out of stock?

Thanks

Same goes for the psu I may need to change, I will change them if I have to.

I will hear you out.

It is big.  That is why I picked it.  140mm fan, big chunk of metal.  Performs well and is really quiet.

58 minutes ago, stconquest said:

It is big.  That is why I picked it.  140mm fan, big chunk of metal.  Performs well and is really quiet.

Alright, well it is unavailable in my area but still, I guess we are getting somewhere at least with all that testing (see above).

If it is big it migt cover the ram sticks, my motherboard is neither huge nor small. I guess you could know by seeing the previous pictures of how it looks like.

http://i.imgur.com/Z6Bvig3.jpg

The fans and psu replaced would give performance most likely back.

2 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

Alright, well it is unavailable in my area but still, I guess we are getting somewhere at least with all that testing (see above).

If it is big it migt cover the ram sticks, my motherboard is neither huge nor small. I guess you could know by seeing the previous pictures of how it looks like.

http://i.imgur.com/Z6Bvig3.jpg

The fans and psu replaced would give performance most likely back.

The heat sink, if stretching over the DIMM slots, will still have room for RAM.  You will have to install RAM first, then the cooler second.  Kind of sucks, but it works.

Yeah, are there any similar air coolers (dead cool + dead silent)?  I am unable to find it within country, and am unable to make purchases outside of my area at the moment.

,Thanks

23 hours ago, TwinDenis said:

Lets say I am a gamer and I want to turn the machine into a gaming machine, to max everything, consider the parts I already have.

Besides what I was told in the forums, douzens of them.

I also was told that from dell themselves that I shouldnt run games and instead use it for work because it is not designed for games.

That is correct. The CPU you have is good for work based loads because video editing and 3D rendering can utilize many cores. However games execute in a linear fashion wich means that they can't really use parallel processing (which comes from having multiple cores). So it is better to have fewer, more powerful cores with a gaming pc. 

In your situation, you have a chipset that is designed for workstation PCs. So switching to a 6700k will require you to buy another motherboard and different ram (Skylake only supports DDR4 or DDR3 low power). 

I personally would either go her go for the Core i5-6600k or the Core i7-6700k so that you can spend some of your $500 on a good motherboard with good features and ram.

Core i5 6600k, GeForce GTX 480, MSI z170 SLI, 3x8 GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM, Hyper 212 Evo