Best cpu right now for gaming?

3 hours ago, SLAYR said:

What was the rest of the system? A 290 needs at least 250w by itself.

i3 4170, liquid cooled and forced to always run at 3.7GHz. Couple HDDs and a B85 chipset board.

so would the 

XFX TS Series 550W (Bronze)

be a good solution?

15 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

actually it said on the specs page 22+4 not 24+8, how will it work?

1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 4+4 Pin ATX12V / EPS12V
1 x EPS 12V 8-pin ATX12V / EPS12V
Up to 6 Peripheral (2x Triple Molex 4pin)
Up to 9 SATA (3x Triple SATA Cables)
1 x 6-pin PCI-E
1 x 6+2-pin PCI-E

1 hour ago, stconquest said:

1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 4+4 Pin ATX12V / EPS12V
1 x EPS 12V 8-pin ATX12V / EPS12V
Up to 6 Peripheral (2x Triple Molex 4pin)
Up to 9 SATA (3x Triple SATA Cables)
1 x 6-pin PCI-E
1 x 6+2-pin PCI-E

I see, so its just how each cable is labeled with the number for each of them.

So yeah, by the way, whats the process of installing it?

I mean, the current one slides inside and is plugged in this black thing on the top:

http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1mqsaLXXXXXbxXpXXq6xXFXXXo/Original-FOR-font-b-Dell-b-font-Precision-font-b-T3600-b-font-T3610-Power-Distribution.jpg

6 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

I see, so its just how each cable is labeled with the number for each of them.

So yeah, by the way, whats the process of installing it?

I mean, the current one slides inside and is plugged in this black thing on the top:

http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1mqsaLXXXXXbxXpXXq6xXFXXXo/Original-FOR-font-b-Dell-b-font-Precision-font-b-T3600-b-font-T3610-Power-Distribution.jpg

The white ones are power to the motherboard... the black VGA one is interesting.  You can probably not use it and it will be fine.  I am curious:

Is the black VGA socket occupied right now?

The white ones are power to the motherboard... the black VGA one is interesting.  You can probably not use it and it will be fine.  I am curious:

Is the black VGA socket occupied right now?

What do you mean? I use some cable converters-extenders I ordered to install the card, it gets power otherwise it wont let me start up.

Some other members told me that the psu setup is proprietary  and I cant buy a normal ATX  glitchmaster0001  told me so as well.

1 minute ago, TwinDenis said:

What do you mean? I use some cable converters-extenders I ordered to install the card, it gets power otherwise it wont let me start up.

Some other members told me that the psu setup is proprietary  and I cant buy a normal ATX  glitchmaster0001  told me so as well.

He said that... and you did what to find out if it was true?  I have no experience with your PC... I really don't know and it does not make sense to me that it needs a redundant PSU to work.

He said that... and you did what to find out if it was true?  I have no experience with your PC... I really don't know and it does not make sense to me that it needs a redundant PSU to work.

What I did was google it and didnt find anything specific for both ends of the argument.

So yeah. I was told that much from other people from other forums as well.

I tried to find out more though and I also believe that it should work but we just have to be sure for that before attempting anything.

19 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

What I did was google it and didnt find anything specific for both ends of the argument.

So yeah. I was told that much from other people from other forums as well.

I tried to find out more though and I also believe that it should work but we just have to be sure for that before attempting anything.

Contact Dell and ask them.

59 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Contact Dell and ask them.

Yeah I will. Even though I regret the last time I called them.

2 hours ago, stconquest said:

well if you look at his PSU its not the same height and length of a standard ATX one. also look at his board. its made to only fit in that dell case. unless you want the IO ports to hang outside the back of the case if you were to swap cases and go for a standard ATX mid tower or something 

dell-precision-t3600-motherboard-system-

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

4 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

well if you look at his PSU its not the same height and length of a standard ATX one. also look at his board. its made to only fit in that dell case. unless you want the IO ports to hang outside the back of the case if you were to swap cases and go for a standard ATX mid tower or something

I really don't concern myself much with whether it will fit or not.  I am concerned more with the PC working.  You can make things fit.  I would mount it to a piece of plywood if I had to.

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

I really don't concern myself with whether it will fit or not.  I am concerned more with the PC working.  You can make things fit.

P1-550S-XXB9_3.jpg   t3600psu.jpg

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

#makeitfit

wont work the PSU is too tall even if you hack parts off the chassis then youd run into the PSU hitting the mobo, then thers no way to secure the PSU to the case. if you try to move the Mobo to another case still not going to work as the mobo has a weird layout that wont allow it to be secured correctly to the case. 

#makeitfit

1 hour ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

I gave you the dimensions of the hole that it will slide in before

1 minute ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

wont work the PSU is too tall even if you hack parts off the chassis then youd run into the PSU hitting the mobo, then thers no way to secure the PSU to the case. if you try to move the Mobo to another case still not going to work as the mobo has a weird layout that wont allow it to be secured correctly to the case. 

Does the connector go in to the socket?

3 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Does the connector go in to the socket?

you mean this one on his current one?

apchowtoserverhardwaretourDSC_0001_238x179_mainImage23.jpg23.jpg

you mean this one on his current one?

apchowtoserverhardwaretourDSC_0001_238x179_mainImage23.jpg23.jpg

I don't even know what the fuck that is man.

I don't even know what the fuck that is man.

you find those on server/workstation PSUs, from what i remember from working at supermicro they are designed so PSUs can be hotplugged in cause one of the redundant PSUs in a server fail. minimizing downtime of the server. thats why im concerned about how getting an ATX PSU wont work on his system. OP can you check and see if that connector in the image i just showed you is connected to anything? 

you find those on server/workstation PSUs, from what i remember from working at supermicro they are designed so PSUs can be hotplugged in cause one of the redundant PSUs in a server fail. minimizing downtime of the server. thats why im concerned about how getting an ATX PSU wont work on his system. OP can you check and see if that connector in the image i just showed you is connected to anything? 

So just rip it out.  :P

11 minutes ago, stconquest said:

So just rip it out.  :P

don't you get it? his PSU uses a card edge interface. rip it out and no power. OP would need to find a PSU with a card edge interface if he wants a simple direct replacement. if hes down to do case modding to get an ATX psu to fit then he can find one 

2 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

don't you get it? his PSU uses a card edge interface. rip it out and no power 

You sure?