My First Build - Reccomendations for a Newbie

I was browsing youtubes one day and discovered Linus and found the world of computer building very astounding. I loved his tutorials and the amount of knowledge of pc building you can find and due to the amount of content, and the sheer joy of DIY PC's I was inspired to create my own computer. Since my knowledge is very limited i wanted to get opinions on my build that I have researched thoroughly and would love inputs, suggestions, and recommendations. 

Budget & Location
I live in the US and I want to take my time and make my first PC on the side and buy the components one by one over a large period of time, but don't plan on exceeding $900.

Aim

I plan on playing last gen games. Along with Sim City, Civ VI, Total War, etc. I also want to be able to do architectural work and business. Overclocking looks advanced so i would like to avoid that if i could.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zpnD3F

3 minutes ago, Protospark said:

I was browsing youtubes one day and discovered Linus and found the world of computer building very astounding. I loved his tutorials and the amount of knowledge of pc building you can find and due to the amount of content, and the sheer joy of DIY PC's I was inspired to create my own computer. Since my knowledge is very limited i wanted to get opinions on my build that I have researched thoroughly and would love inputs, suggestions, and recommendations. 

Budget & Location
I live in the US and I want to take my time and make my first PC on the side and buy the components one by one over a large period of time, but don't plan on exceeding $900.

Aim

I plan on playing last gen games. Along with Sim City, Civ VI, Total War, etc. I also want to be able to do architectural work and business. Overclocking looks advanced so i would like to avoid that if i could.

Checklist for My First PC Build.docx

make a PCpartpicker list.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, Protospark said:

Budget & Location

Aim

Checklist for My First PC Build.docx

First off, I would suggest using pcpartpicker.com instead of finaglingwith Word.And it will show you where the parts are the cheapest! 

Sorry I did but i wanted to have a physical copy with space and add notes but here is the link for PC partpicker. The graphics card i added is not the one i intend. I plan on waiting for the AMD RX 480

8 minutes ago, RonnieLima said:

First off, I would suggest using pcpartpicker.com instead of finaglingwith Word.And it will show you where the parts are the cheapest! 

Sorry I did but i wanted to have a physical copy with space and add notes but here is the link for PC partpicker. The graphics card i added is not the one i intend. I plan on waiting for the AMD RX 480

21 minutes ago, Protospark said:

Overclocking looks advanced so i would like to avoid that if i could.

You can probably look into it in the future since you're getting an unlocked CPU (it has a 'K' on the end of the model number, indicating overclockable :D ) and that cooler should be able to handle a bit of an oc. Pretty capable machine. You might need extra RAM depending on what CAD programs you're using for your architectural work - but 8GB is a pretty solid amount of RAM.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

4 minutes ago, burnttoastnice said:

You can probably look into it in the future since you're getting an unlocked CPU (it has a 'K' on the end of the model number, indicating overclockable :D ) and that cooler should be able to handle a bit of an oc. Pretty capable machine. You might need extra RAM depending on what CAD programs you're using for your architectural work - but 8GB is a pretty solid amount of RAM.

Yep, i'll look into overclocking one day and hopefully ill get into it and learn, and I assumed 8 gb RAM would be sufficient since my currently laptop is a Lenovo Yoga 2 and since it runs my CAD, and Sketchup perfectly, i assumed it would be enough for my personal build.

Are you aiming for 1080P gaming?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

2 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Are you aiming for 1080P gaming?

If i can get 1080 that would be preferred, but if i cant hit it then ill be fine with a build that can last me for a decent amount of time, since chances are i wont want to part with my first ever build. My future baby has to stick with me for as long as she can lol 

2 hours ago, Protospark said:

If i can get 1080 that would be preferred, but if i cant hit it then ill be fine with a build that can last me for a decent amount of time, since chances are i wont want to part with my first ever build. My future baby has to stick with me for as long as she can lol 

Don't worry, $900 is more than enough for an excellent 1080P gaming build.

Here's my recommendation:

Note: If you can wait till June 29th for the GPU, then switch the R9 390 for an RX 480.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($45.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($31.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($318.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $732.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-18 21:55 EDT-0400

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

get this and wait for the RX 480.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ NCIX US) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 200T 54.2 CFM CPU Cooler  ($4.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock H170A-X1/3.1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($79.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($47.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($87.59 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($41.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case  ($22.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($40.98 @ Newegg) 
Other: Rx 480 ($199.99)
Total: $771.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-18 22:02 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W