Windows 10 Home Remote LAN website Remote Desktop

I have a program called "Elpis" Install on a windows 10 Home machine. I wan't to be able to interact with this programs GUI functions from another computer and or table/phone. Basically any device connected to our home network. I have seen options to have a remote desktop service like teamviewer, or more advanced options that allow access like this through the a web server, but I only want this one program. The program will run on the host machine, and will be controlled through a LAN website. Any Ideas?

Computers r fun

Your best option would probably be a flash or java based RDP or VNC viewer. I know Windows Server 2003 provides a RDP interface through the browser but I don't know how it works. I personally use VNC on my LAN to control all the computers.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

7 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I have a program called "Elpis" Install on a windows 10 Home machine. I wan't to be able to interact with this programs GUI functions from another computer and or table/phone. Basically any device connected to our home network. I have seen options to have a remote desktop service like teamviewer, or more advanced options that allow access like this through the a web server, but I only want this one program. The program will run on the host machine, and will be controlled through a LAN website. Any Ideas?

Yea, because you have the home edition you cant use Microsoft's built in remote desktop option.  I'd probably look for some decent paid options in the $20 range.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

4 minutes ago, burnttoastnice said:

Your best option would probably be a flash or java based RDP or VNC viewer. I know Windows Server 2003 provides a RDP interface through the browser but I don't know how it works.

Could you point me to a website or program to get started on that, I am a newbie in networking.

Computers r fun

Spoiler

I use TightVNC Server on all the computers, and use RealVNC Viewer to connect to them. RealVNC also offer an app for Android which I use.

TightVNC Server: http://www.tightvnc.com/download.php

RealVNC Viewer: https://www.realvnc.com/download/viewer/

During install, TightVNC will ask you to set a password for your computer. It's optional but recommended. It will also ask you to set an administration and view-only password, ignore those if you want.

To connect to a computer, open VNC Viewer. Type the computer name or IP address and click Connect. It will warn you about no encryption (doesn't matter on a home network, nobody can 'spy' on you unless they're on the same network) then ask for a password. After entering the password you'll be in your desktop.

Capture.PNG

A useful thing I usually do is enable screen scaling and automatic quality detection

Capture2.PNG

And you should be all good to go ^_^

Accidentally mis-read your quote - thought you quoted the entire thing. I'll do some research for you since I know a little more about that stuff ^_^

17 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Could you point me to a website or program to get started on that, I am a newbie in networking.

Edit 2:

Found a guide here using a Java-based VNC Viewer: http://www.realvnc.com/products/vnc/documentation/5.3/guides/user/Chapter4.html

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Thankk you, I just actually googled and ended up at that exact same site. What port does TightVNC server default to? or how do I change its settings?

Computers r fun

2 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Thankk you, I just actually googled and ended up at that exact same site. What port does TightVNC server default to? or how do I change its settings?

TightVNC defaults to port 5900, and all it's settings are configurable via the tray icon:

Untitled.png

Which then reveals the settings screen. Port changing options are visible at the top ^_^

Captur2e.PNG

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

I wan't any client to be able to just go to the host PC's ip adress with specified port in the web browser and be able to control the program...For example, i cannot install a java program on an IOS device. Websites are universal, apps and programs are not.

Computers r fun

4 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I wan't any client to be able to just go to the host PC's ip adress with specified port in the web browser and be able to control the program...For example, i cannot install a java program on an IOS device. Websites are universal, apps and programs are not.

To access it from a browser, they'll need the Java plugin - and from a phone they'll need an app.

My institution uses VMWare Blast to host virtual machines natively through a browser without the need of any addons/plugins, but it's restricted to just virtual machines and it's not free - but it's exactly the type of thing you're looking for.

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

26 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Where can I obtain the plugins and apps?

Java is a free download from their website: http://java.com/en/download/

VNC Viewer is available on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.realvnc.viewer.android&hl=en_GB

Apologies for taking so long to reply, was busy :)

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Chrome for example has java built in natively in the browser. How would I actually go about accessing my VNC server then?

Computers r fun

12 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

What about IOS?

I don't own any apple devices

11 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Chrome for example has java built in natively in the browser. How would I actually go about accessing my VNC server then?

Browse to http://[computer name or IP]:5800/ and it'll greet you with the client. I've never used it so I'm not sure how it looks.

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

It just shows a link to TightVNC's website....Nothing else

Computers r fun

3 hours ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

It just shows a link to TightVNC's website....Nothing else

Java might not be installed properly - viewing the source shows that the java app itself is embedded.

Screenshot (2).png

You might need to go into Chrome's settings to enable Java. Chrome no longer supports Java as of Sept. 2015, you'll need to use another browser.

https://java.com/en/download/help/enable_browser.xml

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

I use Firefox as you. I realize now that it was not enabling any plugins because the "Website is Not Secure" ???

Computers r fun

6 hours ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I use Firefox as you. I realize now that it was not enabling any plugins because the "Website is Not Secure" ???

I don't have the plugin installed myself (as I don't require it for anything) but knowing how flexible Firefox is, there should be an option available somewhere to override that error message...

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

THeir usually is as I have dealt with this before, but this is now starting to drift further away from my original intentions. The program I am trying to do this too is called "Elpis." Elpis is a client side non flash version of Pandora.com. This means that it is possible to run it from the command line. I wan't to create a universal system of using this program from any device around my house. Is there any way I can use ISS to host a LAN (Including Wifi Devices) webserver than any device connected to my network can send through an easy to use website, commands into the command line version of the program Elpis. I know this is a large stretch and at this point I should probably end this forum thread and create a new one explaining my real problem which is my hunt for a universal media system for my home involving the ability to play Pandora, Spotify, Youtube, and a local media library around my house, on any device, without spending money on Sonos, Chromcast, ect. 

Sorry about that rant...What do you think?

Computers r fun

27 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

THeir usually is as I have dealt with this before, but this is now starting to drift further away from my original intentions. The program I am trying to do this too is called "Elpis." Elpis is a client side non flash version of Pandora.com. This means that it is possible to run it from the command line. I wan't to create a universal system of using this program from any device around my house. Is there any way I can use ISS to host a LAN (Including Wifi Devices) webserver than any device connected to my network can send through an easy to use website, commands into the command line version of the program Elpis. I know this is a large stretch and at this point I should probably end this forum thread and create a new one explaining my real problem which is my hunt for a universal media system for my home involving the ability to play Pandora, Spotify, Youtube, and a local media library around my house, on any device, without spending money on Sonos, Chromcast, ect. 

Sorry about that rant...What do you think?

This is very doable but I'm not too sure how to explain where to start. You'd need to install webserver software on your system, then a server-side language of your choice (php, python, perl etc). You'd then need to make a main html page with all the commands (just links to PHP files). When you click a link to a PHP file, that PHP file would run that particular Elpis command.

It might be a better idea to make a thread in the Programming section (I'm subscribed over there) or maybe even the audio section to see what solutions others have come up with. For me personally, I just use DLNA and UPnP to cast music from my phone to any television in the house (each has it's own sound system - the built-in speakers are absolute garbage).

I'll research into Elpis - chances are there's probably some free software out there that can do exactly what you're looking for.

Speedtests

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

CPU             i5-4430S

Spoiler

Type            Server

Quotes of Fame

Okay, so I have decided to approach this differently, and have created a new thread here:

Computers r fun