GTA V runs more smoothly with MSAA on. WTF?

UL_42L

This is NOT a troll post. I am seriously confused about this occurrence and would like to hear the opinions of others.

When I played Grand Theft Auto V, I always noticed and was bothered by a slight stuttering despite maintaining a 'constant' 60 FPS. My GPU was at 100%, yet it maintained temperatures around 70 degrees Celsius and the fan never went above 86%. None of my CPU cores were maxed, and I had RAM to spare. However, when I turned MSAA up to 8x from off and made absolutely no other changes, the stuttering issue stopped and my FPS remained at a steady 60. The difference was that my GPU fan had to speed up to 100%, and it maintained a temperature around 90 degrees.

My build is made of an Intel i5 4460, an XFX R9 390 Double Dissipation, and 8 GB of RAM.

Thy hath sinneth, and in thy life thou hast fallen to an unholy, unspeakable level of humanity. Thou hast given into your basest needs. And suffered many years under thine Satan-box. However, if thine be willing, as thy hast show yourself to be, thy can ascendeth into thy glorious fold of the glorious church. Go well, my brother, may your temps be low and your frames high. ~ MrDynamicMan

Well mine does the opposite, runs smoothly with no MSAA, put on 8x, drop to a whole 17 fps. Can feel my 960 dying when MSAA is on

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

I have no idea how that could happen.  Very strange.  All I can say is that (for me at least) GTA V is actually very good at rendering smoothly, such that when you're getting 60 fps, it's a useful 60, and not 60 frames all at once and then a gap that leads to stuttering.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Well mine does the opposite, runs smoothly with no MSAA, put on 8x, drop to a whole 17 fps. Can feel my 960 dying when MSAA is on

same here.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

might be because the GPU has more to do or something really not sure and i would say strange rendering bug lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

41 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

37 minutes ago, kameshss said:

same here.

that's how it's supposed to work ;) performance hog

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

outdated drivers? lol

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 Core 12 Threads Motherboard TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING RAM 32GB Dual-Channel DDR4 GPU 11GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti Case be quiet! White OS Linux Mint Cinnamon

11 hours ago, Sauron said:

that's how it's supposed to work ;) performance hog

Gets even better at 4k with 8x Msaa, a whole 5 fps xD

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h