Searching for a cpu + mother combo for US$350 to use with the rx480

Go to solution Solved by ForsakenLive,
13 minutes ago, Homero06 said:

Point made, now im really considering your combo, but what about this one, http://pcpartpicker.com/product/M9g323/asus-motherboard-crosshairvformulaz + http://pcpartpicker.com/product/ykphP6/amd-cpu-fd8350frhkbox

Compared to one another, and in overall terms (not only raw power), which is better, the i5-6600k you recommended or this FX-8350?

*Thanks for your patience :)

As Luke stated on his Budget Motherboard Series, motherboards are just the board that connects all the parts of the system together, they don't really bring more performance to the system, just more options and features. Going with a higher end (more expensive) motherboard can give you more ports (Regular USB, USB 3.1/Type-C, Sata ports, U.2 slots, M.2 compatibility, more memory Slots, more Ethernet Options, Wifi, Thunderbolt, etc.) as well as more features (easy-overclock, better software utilities, better audio, etc). However not any of this things I mentioned makes your system faster, they are just extra functionality (sometimes a bit gimmicky) which could be valuable to you if you ever end up using them.

This is why, for a non-overclockable CPU, the best value is between $50-80, and for overclocking the best value is $100-150ish; anything over that is totally not necessary, useful if you need the extra features for something, and that's about it.

So it just comes to a fight between CPU and CPU choice. There are many benchmarks out there, with many different configurations on them which in fact show that the Skylake i5 beat the FX CPUs without much effort, specially in gaming scenarios. On single threaded performance (which defines your results on most games) current Intel i3 CPUs beat the FX CPUs that are currently on the market, the i5 having less cores, still beats the FX 8 core CPUs on pretty much most workloads, even the multi-threaded optimized ones. 

You can OC the FX CPUs to match the Intel ones, but you can also OC the i5 6600k and outperform OC'd FX CPUs, by quite a lot sometimes.

Just to be clear, I'm not fanboying or hating on the AMD CPUs, The FX 6300 is still today a compelling choice for those who want to overclock, and the Athlon x4 800 series CPUs can be found from $50 to $80 being outstanding options for those with a very tight budget.  However, until AMD brings something new to the table (AMD ZEN CPUs should be here on the first half of 2017, which will, in theory, compete with Intel's offerings) there is no place for them on the mid tier to high end CPU market for gamers. 

I used an FX8320 which I OC'd until last year, when I moved to Skylake. The FX CPU is in my spare rig, and I don't regret spending money on the Skylake upgrade for my main system.  

Hello everyone, im looking for a cpu + mother combo for about US$350 using best buy reference values to use with the upcoming rx480 gpu. What do you guys recommend? I've been seeing and the FX-8350 really catches my eye (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/amd-fx-8350-4-0ghz-processor-black/1865095.p?id=1219517896103&skuId=1865095). Suggestions? Thanks in advace!

*This is my first post so if there is something wrong with the format or posting please let me know!

1 minute ago, Homero06 said:

Hello everyone, im looking for a cpu + mother combo for about US$350 using best buy reference values to use with the upcoming rx480 gpu. What do you guys recommend? I've been seeing and the FX-8350 really catches my eye (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/amd-fx-8350-4-0ghz-processor-black/1865095.p?id=1219517896103&skuId=1865095). Suggestions? Thanks in advace!

*This is my first post so if there is something wrong with the format or posting please let me know!

OMG NO!  haha...

If you're going to go AMD, get yourself a A10-7890k and a Crossblade Ranger.  You'll be under the $350 budget and you'll still have as good of a gaming experience, if not better.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

get yourself a 4690K or 6600K and a cheep ASRock motherboard, you can fit that under $350 here in Sweden anyway so you should be able to in the US(if thats were you are, im assuming you are)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I do like AMD, I get their components when they show their value to me, and they often do. But buying today an AMD CPU on a budget over $200 (incluiding mobo) it's plain silly.

Currently, on your pricepoint the best CPU is the i5 6600k.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($109.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $329.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-18 15:05 EDT-0400

8 minutes ago, ForsakenLive said:

I do like AMD, I get their components when they show their value to me, and they often do. But buying today an AMD CPU on a budget over $200 (incluiding mobo) it's plain silly.

Currently, on your pricepoint the best CPU is the i5 6600k.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($109.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $329.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-18 15:05 EDT-0400

My main concern is that this combo will not work as great with a rx480 gpu than a amd build, am i correct? Furthermore, isnt a 8 core processor (FX-8350) better than a core (i5-6600k)? Then again, im completely lost with this stuff.

Edited by Homero06
Add context to the reply

1 minute ago, Homero06 said:

My main concern is that this combo will not work as great with a rx480 gpu than a amd build, am i correct?

There is no benefit from matching brands on GPUs/CPUs.

Not only there is a ton of info I can link you to that explains this, but there is also the fact that every single reviewer benchmarking AMD GPUs use Intel CPUs on their test benches. Even AMD showcases their own GPUs at conventions and events using Intel CPUs. 

Always get what's best for your money! 

4 minutes ago, ForsakenLive said:

There is no benefit from matching brands on GPUs/CPUs.

Not only there is a ton of info I can link you to that explains this, but there is also the fact that every single reviewer benchmarking AMD GPUs use Intel CPUs on their test benches. Even AMD showcases their own GPUs at conventions and events using Intel CPUs. 

Always get what's best for your money! 

Point made, now im really considering your combo, but what about this one, http://pcpartpicker.com/product/M9g323/asus-motherboard-crosshairvformulaz + http://pcpartpicker.com/product/ykphP6/amd-cpu-fd8350frhkbox

Compared to one another, and in overall terms (not only raw power), which is better, the i5-6600k you recommended or this FX-8350?

13 minutes ago, Homero06 said:

As Luke stated on his Budget Motherboard Series, motherboards are just the board that connects all the parts of the system together, they don't really bring more performance to the system, just more options and features. Going with a higher end (more expensive) motherboard can give you more ports (Regular USB, USB 3.1/Type-C, Sata ports, U.2 slots, M.2 compatibility, more memory Slots, more Ethernet Options, Wifi, Thunderbolt, etc.) as well as more features (easy-overclock, better software utilities, better audio, etc). However not any of this things I mentioned makes your system faster, they are just extra functionality (sometimes a bit gimmicky) which could be valuable to you if you ever end up using them.

This is why, for a non-overclockable CPU, the best value is between $50-80, and for overclocking the best value is $100-150ish; anything over that is totally not necessary, useful if you need the extra features for something, and that's about it.

So it just comes to a fight between CPU and CPU choice. There are many benchmarks out there, with many different configurations on them which in fact show that the Skylake i5 beat the FX CPUs without much effort, specially in gaming scenarios. On single threaded performance (which defines your results on most games) current Intel i3 CPUs beat the FX CPUs that are currently on the market, the i5 having less cores, still beats the FX 8 core CPUs on pretty much most workloads, even the multi-threaded optimized ones. 

You can OC the FX CPUs to match the Intel ones, but you can also OC the i5 6600k and outperform OC'd FX CPUs, by quite a lot sometimes.

Just to be clear, I'm not fanboying or hating on the AMD CPUs, The FX 6300 is still today a compelling choice for those who want to overclock, and the Athlon x4 800 series CPUs can be found from $50 to $80 being outstanding options for those with a very tight budget.  However, until AMD brings something new to the table (AMD ZEN CPUs should be here on the first half of 2017, which will, in theory, compete with Intel's offerings) there is no place for them on the mid tier to high end CPU market for gamers. 

I used an FX8320 which I OC'd until last year, when I moved to Skylake. The FX CPU is in my spare rig, and I don't regret spending money on the Skylake upgrade for my main system.