My first build

Go to solution Solved by Herman Mcpootis,
8 minutes ago, coffeandnovacaine said:

Do I really need the RX 480? It seems like a bit much for my needs

it'll last much longer than the current gtx 960/380/380x, with the performance of a gtx 980/r9 fury. definitely worth the wait. you can use the iGPU in your i5 until then, it's still enough for games at mid-low settings.

I would suggest waiting for the RX 480 4G and use the 35$ you save to get an i5 6500 and a h170 mother board

get this and wait for the Rx 480, buy your OS from reddit/kinguin for $20-30.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($45.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($35.33 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Toshiba 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($41.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case  ($22.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Micro Center) 
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer  ($40.98 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Acer G227HQLbi 21.5" 60Hz Monitor  ($90.98 @ Newegg) 
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Other: Rx 480 ($199.99)
Total: $773.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-17 22:33 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

I'm really new to this, are there any intel cpu's available for around the same price point? links?

4 minutes ago, coffeandnovacaine said:

Why two storages? And when does the rx480 come out? And uh... embarrassingly enough, what is it?

ssd is much faster than a hard drive but its expensive

5 minutes ago, coffeandnovacaine said:

Why two storages? And when does the rx480 come out? And uh... embarrassingly enough, what is it?

You put the operating system on the super fast SSD, then all your files and stuff on the HDD which is slow, but high capacity

RX480 is the a new AMD GPU for $199 that is VERY good

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

5 minutes ago, coffeandnovacaine said:

the sp550 will be your boot drive, so that your boot speeds are faster and your system feels alot more responsive. the toshiba drive is for storing non-essential applications(games,pictures,etc) since high capacity SSDs are too expensive. the Rx 480 is a new graphics card from AMD that is going to be released on june 29 at $200, running the newest polaris architecture. it claims that it wil perform similar to the gtx 980/r9 fury, two current-gen graphics cards at $370/429.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

ssd is much faster than a hard drive but its expensive

Don't laugh, but I only need one, right?

yes you only NEED one but the ssd will speed up your system substantially. an 1000 dollar i7 5960x system with a hard drive will feel slower than a 200 dollars i5 system with an ssd. boot time, application open time will be a couple second faster with an ssd than with an hard drive and that makes it worth it

3 minutes ago, coffeandnovacaine said:

yes, you only need one. the toshiba drive alone should be enough to store everything, but it'll be slower than the ssd. the ssd is much faster, but good luck storing games with 120gb of space. the 2 drives together is supposed to be a compromise between speed and capacity.

I see, I'm so sorry about my lack of knowledge.

would it be difficult for a beginner to put this setup together on their own? Keep in mind I have absolutely no technical experience beyond numerous instructive  videos

would it be difficult for a beginner to put this setup together on their own? Keep in mind I have absolutely no technical experience beyond numerous instructive  videos

nah you can easily build it with video instructions

also get a lower wattage brand name psu. good brands are for example evga, silverstone, corsair(non cx)

you'll be fine, touch the case a few times before and while you're building the pc, watch a few guides on youtube, and don't break any pins on the mobo, and you should be fine.

10 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

nah you can easily build it with video instructions

even with two storages? Will one have to be inserted first/ given priority somehow?

11 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

also get a lower wattage brand name psu. good brands are for example evga, silverstone, corsair(non cx)

What wattage should I try and stick to?

I'd recommend getting a better power supply especially one with 80+ rating. The 80+ rating is just kinda proof that it's a good power supply and it won't set on fire. Power supplies are something you really don't want to cheap out on. It's also a good idea to get a well known brand. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9htWGX/evga-power-supply-100b10700k1

Here's a good power supply that's 80+ bronze (Bronze is part of a rating system to determine just how efficient it is, 80+ means at least 80% efficient)

Welcome to the forums!

Could you tell us your:

Budget

Use cases (anything other than gaming?)

Location (US, right?)

Resolution you work/game at (also if you need a monitor)

Any old PC you have, and if yes, their specs.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

3 minutes ago, coffeandnovacaine said:

even with two storages? Will one have to be inserted first/ given priority somehow?

What wattage should I try and stick to?

in the windows install just select the ssd and there wont be any other complication with 2 storage drives other than you might have to format the other drive later which is easy. and the wattage assuming you switch to a intel i5 and a rx 480 is 500w with a really good quality psu or 600w with a medium quality psu

15 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

nah you can easily build it with video instruction

cx greys are fine for higher-end builds.

2 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Welcome to the forums!

Could you tell us your:

Budget

Use cases (anything other than gaming?)

Location (US, right?)

Resolution you work/game at (also if you need a monitor)

Any old PC you have, and if yes, their specs.

Of course! I'm so sorry

budget: I'm trying for under 700$ but if we have to get close to 800 that's okay

Uses: Other than gaming, school work, light video editing, and maybe light music editing

Monitor needed

No old pc

If you absolutely want a cd-reader (i'm considering getting one, just in case the need ever arises) you shouldn't buy ones that are above 30$. They're a rip off

Shipping sucks