Why is Nvidia trying to rule out 3-way and 4-way SLI?

Bluebeano

With the 10 series cards, you have to get a special key to use 3 way SLI and it isnt recommended, why is this? Surely they'd get more money if they encouraged it

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 3.5GHz

Motherboard: Asus Z97-P DDR3 ATX

RAM: Kingston HyperX Savage 8GB 2400MHz

GPU: Palit Geforce GTX 1060

Case: Zalman Z9+

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD, SK Hynix 256GB SSD

PSU: SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W

1 minute ago, Bluebeano said:

With the 10 series cards, you have to get a special key to use 3 way SLI and it isnt recommended, why is this? Surely they'd get more money if they encouraged it

maybe so they can fine tune 2 way sli for more performance instead of enhancing 3 way and 4 way for each card

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

1 hour ago, Bluebeano said:

They want to get the 2 way setups more stable in utilization because its the most used setup also the special key thing is gone as just read it in a article.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

2 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

maybe so they can fine tune 2 way sli for more performance instead of enhancing 3 way and 4 way for each card

But surely from a business point of view, encourage people to buy more cards each, get more $

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 3.5GHz

Motherboard: Asus Z97-P DDR3 ATX

RAM: Kingston HyperX Savage 8GB 2400MHz

GPU: Palit Geforce GTX 1060

Case: Zalman Z9+

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD, SK Hynix 256GB SSD

PSU: SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W

2 minutes ago, Bluebeano said:

But surely from a business point of view, encourage people to buy more cards each, get more $

i agree, it was the only liable reason i could think of :P

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Most likely because it sucks. Better for them to focus on 2 way SLI and not waste their time with 3 and 4 way.

They also potentially save money on development and support for 3 and 4 way SLI, as well as the fact that the vast majority of users don't run more than 2 cards in SLI anyway, 

the R&D to optimize 3 and 4 way setups could counteract the profits

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Have the funding to run 3 or 4 highend expensive cards belongs to a very small minority of gamers.

No one really uses 2 GPUs, and even less people use 3 and 4. Not worth investing in optimizing 3 and 4 way SLI, a pretty smart move from them.

I have a Fury Nitro and an FX 8320E. Screw my life?

Sure, if you don't care about your brand. Do a quick search on YouTube for 3 and 4 way sli performance and you find tons of videos criticising the terrible scaling. You nearly gain any performance past 2 cards.

The people that know this fact don't buy into 3/4 way sli, unless they don't care and just want to throw money away.

The problem lies in the people that DON'T know about this scaling issue, buy 4 top tier cards and find out that someone who paid half gets about 80-90% off the performance.

What do you think that person is gonna think of nvidia? People who are pissed are far far more vocal than satisfied customers. And they will do damage to the brand.

It's fucking regard for nvidia to encourage 3/4 way sli when they won't be fixing the scaling issues. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I applaud nvidia for doing the consumer friendly thing here.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

They would really much rather you go and buy a Quadro or a Tesla before considering 3 or 4 way SLI.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

3 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

They would really much rather you go and buy a Quadro or a Tesla before considering 3 or 4 way SLI.

Quadro's and Tesla's are not gaming cards.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

1 minute ago, VagabondWraith said:

Quadro's and Tesla's are not gaming cards.

And 3/4 way SLI never were any good for gaming either.  Hence my point being they would rather you buy one of their expensive compute cards rather than ghetto it out with multiple gaming cards.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

1 minute ago, Pomfinator said:

And 3/4 way SLI never were any good for gaming either.  Hence my point being they would rather you buy one of their expensive compute cards rather than ghetto it out with multiple gaming cards.

Yes, but people who were buying 3/4 way SLI were gaming. They were never going to buy a professional card anyway. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Consider from a business standpoint if you'd put R&D in to properly scaling 3 and 4-way SLI.

• Money spent on R&D (a lot)
  • Money gained by enthusiasts buying 3 or 4 cards (marginal considering the percentage of people buying 2 new cards)
  • Money LOST when releasing a new generation, just to have everyone buy up 3 more (used) cards of the previous gen instead of buying a new one (a lot)

Why in the world would i buy a 1080 if i could get 3 more 980s from the used market and absolutely demolish the 1080 and still save money?

I suspect the reason SLI scales badly is less of a technical challenge and more just clever business. They could get it to work well if they really, really wanted to.

Potato

Because its for nothing more than epeen. Even 2-way is sketchy at times, 3-way and 4-way is just a mess outside of synthetic benchmarks.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

1 hour ago, jollander said:

Snip

You bring up really good points.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

Sli scaling is very poor after 2 Cards much worse the Crossfire. the new bridge should make 2 way sli great again. 

3 hours ago, Bluebeano said:

Don't worry, nvidia is getting lots of your $$$.