What is ethernet?

I am a total noob with Networking stuff, so I need your help to define some of the stuff I'm going to ask you guys. Right now I'm dealing with WiFi issues and some people told me to go to wired connection, I saw something called as ethernet. Now, on my understanding ethernet meant the same to LAN, not sure if I'm right or wrong, but just to make it simple I'm just going to ask few thing. Can this ethernet make me play let's say BF4 on an American server even though I'm in let's say Australia. If not what could make me do that but instead of using WiFi I want to use wired connection because it's more stable, and how to do that? Thanks ;)

DESKTOP PC :

CPU :RYZEN 5 2600/ GPU :MSI Ventus OC GTX 1660 Ti/ RAM :Team Elite 2x8/ PSU :Corsair CX650M/ HDD :Toshiba 2TB/ SSD :Adata XPG M.2 SATA 265GB/ COOLER :Be Quite 2x140mm / MOBO :Asus TUF B450 Gaming

LAPTOP :

CPU :i7-4710HQ/ GPU :GTX 860M/ RAM :8GB OEM/ HDD :1 TB 

PERIPHERALS :

MOUSE :LOGITECH G502/ HEADSET :HyperX Cloud Alpha/ KEYBOARD :Logitech G Pro 

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

1 hour ago, Annoyingnerds said:

I am a total noob with Networking stuff, so I need your help to define some of the stuff I'm going to ask you guys. Right now I'm dealing with WiFi issues and some people told me to go to wired connection, I saw something called as ethernet. Now, on my understanding ethernet meant the same to LAN, not sure if I'm right or wrong, but just to make it simple I'm just going to ask few thing. Can this ethernet make me play let's say BF4 on an American server even though I'm in let's say Australia. If not what could make me do that but instead of using WiFi I want to use wired connection because it's more stable, and how to do that? Thanks ;)

A wired connection would be faster, but to play on an american server you would need a vpn.

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

wired connection = ethernet cable = plugs into LAN port on router

it removes all the latency and issues with wifi, but doesnt change the fact you're still in australia

ethernet is much better than wifi though, so definitely use that for the best gaming experience

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

wired connection = ethernet cable = plugs into LAN port on router

it removes all the latency and issues with wifi, but doesnt change the fact you're still in australia

ethernet is much better than wifi though, so definitely use that for the best gaming experience

So it doesn't only connect me to the guy that is on the same port as I am?

DESKTOP PC :

CPU :RYZEN 5 2600/ GPU :MSI Ventus OC GTX 1660 Ti/ RAM :Team Elite 2x8/ PSU :Corsair CX650M/ HDD :Toshiba 2TB/ SSD :Adata XPG M.2 SATA 265GB/ COOLER :Be Quite 2x140mm / MOBO :Asus TUF B450 Gaming

LAPTOP :

PERIPHERALS :

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

1 minute ago, Annoyingnerds said:

So it doesn't only connect me to the guy that is on the same port as I am?

wat

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, MoonKnightSpidey said:

A wired connection would be faster, but to play on an american server you would need a vpn.

No you dont

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

59 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

No you dont

On a certain game, wouldn't you? If not what can you do? No you dont is not the most informative answer lol

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

wat

Like it only connect to the computer that's only around the area of my house, but also elsewhere on the universe

DESKTOP PC :

LAPTOP :

PERIPHERALS :

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

1 minute ago, MoonKnightSpidey said:

On a certain game, wouldn't you? If not what can you do? No you dont is not the most informative answer lol

He said "can I join American servers on BF4" - you can generally join any worldwide gameserver in MOST games without needing a VPN

Ping will still be shit though regardless, even with fast internet 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 hour ago, ShadowCaptain said:

He said "can I join American servers on BF4" - you can generally join any worldwide gameserver in MOST games without needing a VPN

Ping will still be shit though regardless, even with fast internet 

Oh, I didn't see that part, also, this guy is hurting my brain

1 minute ago, Annoyingnerds said:

Like it only connect to the computer that's only around the area of my house, but also elsewhere on the universe

Ethernet is just a cable version of wifi, that is stronger, does not suffer interference, and has 100% signal strength

you connect the ethernet cable from your router to your PC (think of it as replacing wifi with a wire)

1 minute ago, Technous285 said:

Ethernet is your wired HOME network, it is more secure and less vulnerable to packet drops and interference (along with being hijacked and accessed from outside sources like people sitting in the street scanning for open networks) than WiFi is, but it doesn't help lower lag induced by the phone network OUTSIDE the house that your internet connection is running over.

phone line only uses 8kbps so .............................................................................................................................. unless you have dial up lol.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.91 GHz RAM: G.Skill 4x4GB 2133Mhz DDR3 GPU: AMD HD 7970 3GB SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB PSU: Corsair HX620W  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Case: Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass (Black) Monitor: Dell P2412H, Dell 2012H Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic Mouse: Logitech G203 Prodigy HDD: WD Black 3TB

2 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Ethernet is just a cable version of wifi, that is stronger, does not suffer interference, and has 100% signal strength

you connect the ethernet cable from your router to your PC (think of it as replacing wifi with a wire)

This is the answer I'm actually looking for, somehow. (Sorry guys, I got a little headache so my word is everywhere and out of place)

DESKTOP PC :

LAPTOP :

PERIPHERALS :

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

LAN is a Local Area Network of the size of a building or flat. 

Ethernet describes the technology which is used to establish the LAN