Low cost cooling solution that lasts longer than liquid cooling?

3 hours ago, GlassBomb said:

I personally prefer air coolers, since there are fewer parts that can fail.

So that is the route I would go for if I was the OP. No risk of leaking liquids, and even if the only moving part (fan) fail, the tower is still there to provide cooling.

I learned my lesson about liquid cooling. Had my pump fail and now my pc is down and out until my 212 evo arrives.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

19 hours ago, sithsiri said:

Is there a way to cool my CPU other than risking liquid cooling failing or leaking that is not air and low cost?

19 hours ago, Enderman said:

liquid and air cooling are the only two consumer options that exist

19 hours ago, TaylorSwiftOrNon said:

not that i know of

19 hours ago, Darel321 said:

no

I think you're all forgetting a couple things. I'm with @nycesquire - there's always passive cooling, and that's getting more popular than ever. Also, there's a reason Luke is known as "Slick"- while more exotic and harder to maintain, oil cooled PCs suffer none of the leakage concerns of water cooling and can be built to be passively cooled as well.

Look at my systems:

Spoiler

My main testing/gaming system "Bitlo" is an upgraded HP Pavilion p6710f:

AMD Athlon II X4 640 undervolted to 1.225v vcore @3.00GHz, with additional undevolts for each P-state.

Stock AMD cooler- with the undervolt that's all I actually need

8GB PNY DDR3

Zotac GTX 560 Ti, 880MHz core & 2360MHz mem at stock voltage, has been delidded and repasted, plan on strapping an AIO on to overcome current temp issues

EVGA 500W PSU

120GB Toshiba Q300 SSD

1TB Seagate HDD

Every day carry: Toshiba Satellite L655-S5150. Pentium P6200 @2.13GHz, 4GB RAM.

Black themed workstation I'm working on:

Xeon E5-2670 (SR0KX)

Cooler Master Hyper T4

ASRock X79 Extreme4

16GB (2x8) Adata XPG DDR3

Gigabyte R9 290 OC Edition

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Dell XPS 630i 750W PSU

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD

Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB HDD

Diablotek EVO ATX Midtower case

1 minute ago, v-raze said:

I think you're all forgetting a couple things. I'm with @nycesquire - there's always passive cooling, and that's getting more popular than ever. Also, there's a reason Luke is known as "Slick"- while more exotic and harder to maintain, oil cooled PCs suffer none of the leakage concerns of water cooling and can be built to be passively cooled as well.

thats also called a heatsink

its just an air cooler with no fans

still cooled by air

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

thats also called a heatsink

its just an air cooler with no fans

still cooled by air

Yes, but that wasn't really the point. OP (who likely has left and isn't reading any of this but you never know) probably meant traditional air cooling. I already read your earlier post and knew you were on the other side of that opinion, but really it's just semantics at this point. I just wanted to highlight a couple options that hadn't been talked about much yet.

Look at my systems:

Spoiler

AMD Athlon II X4 640 undervolted to 1.225v vcore @3.00GHz, with additional undevolts for each P-state.

8GB PNY DDR3

Zotac GTX 560 Ti, 880MHz core & 2360MHz mem at stock voltage, has been delidded and repasted, plan on strapping an AIO on to overcome current temp issues

EVGA 500W PSU

120GB Toshiba Q300 SSD

1TB Seagate HDD

Xeon E5-2670 (SR0KX)

Cooler Master Hyper T4

ASRock X79 Extreme4

Dell XPS 630i 750W PSU

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD

1 hour ago, v-raze said:

You still need to cool the oil, and all in all oil cooling is expensive aswell. 

1 hour ago, v-raze said:

I think you're all forgetting a couple things. I'm with @nycesquire - there's always passive cooling, and that's getting more popular than ever. Also, there's a reason Luke is known as "Slick"- while more exotic and harder to maintain, oil cooled PCs suffer none of the leakage concerns of water cooling and can be built to be passively cooled as well.

You're forgetting that a system like that still needs to be actively cooled to keep the temperature of the liquid down. In Luke's case, he used a 240x240mm radiator to cool down his oil.

Having a fully passively cooled system is tough, especially with components that produce a lot of heat.

And I'm wishing the best of luck to @nycesquire on his project.

16 minutes ago, Infin8 said:

You still need to cool the oil, and all in all oil cooling is expensive aswell. 

I never said it was especially practical or cheap.

2 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

You're forgetting that a system like that still needs to be actively cooled to keep the temperature of the liquid down.

Like I said, you can run passively oil cooled systems- you don't technically need any fans involved at all. Theoretically you could also just pump the oil through radiators without using any fans.

Look at my systems:

Spoiler

8GB PNY DDR3

EVGA 500W PSU

120GB Toshiba Q300 SSD

1TB Seagate HDD

Xeon E5-2670 (SR0KX)

Cooler Master Hyper T4

ASRock X79 Extreme4

Dell XPS 630i 750W PSU

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD

4 minutes ago, v-raze said:

Like I said, you can run passively oil cooled systems- you don't technically need any fans involved at all. Theoretically you could also just pump the oil through radiators without using any fans.

Didn't OP want a low-cost solution? Also, pumps are not that reliable. Putting the Oil-cooled pc in an aluminum tank with big heatsinks could work, but just for so long. 

Are we trying to help OP with his question or just theory-crafting? xD

18 minutes ago, v-raze said:

Have seen that thread before, and it might work in his case due to the sheer mass of the heat sinks that he has (40 kg). But even then, if you are running such a system as a Folding machine, or similar. Then you would have to cool off the fin array in one way or another.

And a system like that will be heavy as nothing else. He is estimating around 100 kg. And it's still a work in progress.

10 minutes ago, Infin8 said:

Didn't OP want a low-cost solution? Also, pumps are not that reliable. Putting the Oil-cooled pc in an aluminum tank with big heatsinks could work, but just for so long. 

Are we trying to help OP with his question or just theory-crafting? xD

I think OP's question was answered pretty quickly, we're just having fun now. ;)

Pumps are reasonably reliable, if you get good ones. Especially if they're pumping oil, one of the best things for reducing wear on moving parts known to man. I do think putting it in a heatsink tank like @Stefan1024 is doing would last a very, very long time.

3 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Have seen that thread before, and it might work in his case due to the sheer mass of the heat sinks that he has (40 kg). But even then, if you are running such a system as a Folding machine, or similar. Then you would have to cool off the fin array in one way or another.

And a system like that will be heavy as nothing else. He is estimating around 100 kg.

All valid points, again, oil cooling in general is not the most practical.

Look at my systems:

Spoiler

8GB PNY DDR3

EVGA 500W PSU

120GB Toshiba Q300 SSD

1TB Seagate HDD

Xeon E5-2670 (SR0KX)

Cooler Master Hyper T4

ASRock X79 Extreme4

Dell XPS 630i 750W PSU

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD

2 hours ago, GlassBomb said:

- snip -

Here you are:

2 hours ago, v-raze said:

@Stefan1024- snip -

To be fair, I also have fans submerged in the oil. I will try to shut them off, but I think the heat transfer of the natural convection movement of the oil is not enougth.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil