Low cost cooling solution that lasts longer than liquid cooling?

Is there a way to cool my CPU other than risking liquid cooling failing or leaking that is not air and low cost?

not that i know of

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5 GhZ COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 GPU: Gainward GTX1080 GS MOBO: MSi Z170 Gaming M7 HDD: Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB PSU: Be quiet Power Zone 850W CASE: CoolerMaster Master Case 5 Pro DISPLAY: ASUS ROG PG348Q + LG 34UM95 + Samsung U28E850R + Samsung C24F396 SERVER: HP MicroServer G8 w/ HP P222 & 4x Seagate 8TB RAID5

i want a cheap car that can fit the entire family, is small so i can park it everywhere, has a strong engine, doesnt use fuel and will never break down.

imagesCAPLNWYJ.jpg

i hope my quite sarcastic comparison properly explains why thats not a thing :P

uh

no

liquid and air cooling are the only two consumer options that exist

...so buy a heatsink

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

27 minutes ago, sithsiri said:

Is there a way to cool my CPU other than risking liquid cooling failing or leaking that is not air and low cost?

How do you feel about moving to antarctica? 

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

I would say air, but I'm not sure if that's the answer you wanted.

A good quality air cooler will last forever. Metal doesn't just break.

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

uh

no

liquid and air cooling are the only two consumer options that exist

...so buy a heatsink

well.. one could argue there's a lot of options.

but in the end all of them rely on air cooling in the final step, so you may as well just get a tower.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

but in the end all of them rely on air cooling in the final step, so you may as well just get a tower.

such as....?

what other consumer cooling options that are not a heatsink or a radiator

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

yea they do all require air in the end, bu ti would just say that having some liquids in there is pretty cool xD ... "cool" #that terrible pun life

MAIN RIG | AMD R7 1800x @ 4.0GHz [cooled by Corsair h110i] | Zotac 1070 founders | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8gb |
| ASUS crosshair IV hero | Samsung 960 evo m.2 | Seagate 1TB + WD blue 2TB| Corsair HX750i | Phanteks evlov atx TG |
LAPTOP | HP zbook Workstation | Intel i7-4710 HQ @ 2.5GHz | 8gb ram | NVIDIA Quadro k1100m | 250gb + 250gb Crucial SSDs |

I personally prefer air coolers, since there are fewer parts that can fail.

So that is the route I would go for if I was the OP. No risk of leaking liquids, and even if the only moving part (fan) fail, the tower is still there to provide cooling.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

such as....?

what other consumer cooling options that are not a heatsink or a radiator

well..  the subzero build linus did a while back for example.

1 minute ago, GlassBomb said:

I personally prefer air coolers, since there are fewer parts that can fail.

So that is the route I would go for if I was the OP. No risk of leaking liquids, and even if the only moving part (fan) fail, the tower is still there to provide cooling.

a block of metal cant really "fail" during operation, and everything that can fail (as in the fans) can actually be replaced while the machine is up and running, and pretty much not even needing to close down the running applications.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well..  the subzero build linus did a while back for example.

so phase change?

thats not consumer cooling, and thats still a form of "cooling with a radiator"

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

so phase change?

thats not consumer cooling, and thats still a form of "cooling with a radiator"

well, when looking at it in a really simplistic way, phase change is watercooling on steroids :P

well, when looking at it in a really simplistic way, phase change is watercooling on steroids :P

yeah

i havent heard of any other ways of cooling that dont involve a heatsink or radiator other than:

some weird server prototype thing where you put the entire rack in a non-conductive fluid and let it boil which then cools at the top of a chamber and returns as cooled fluid

Spoiler

I'd say put a massive copper heatsink on the CPU. What's your CPU?

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

yeah

i havent heard of any other ways of cooling that dont involve a heatsink or radiator other than:

some weird server prototype thing where you put the entire rack in a non-conductive fluid and let it boil which then cools at the top of a chamber and returns as cooled fluid

there's also systems where instead of a heatsink all components are just touching the outer wall directly or indirectly and the outer wall is being cooled by the elements around it. (example being those underwater server things in the news a while back)

35 minutes ago, manikyath said:

there's also systems where instead of a heatsink all components are just touching the outer wall directly or indirectly and the outer wall is being cooled by the elements around it. (example being those underwater server things in the news a while back)

yeah thats what a heatsink is

just a passive heatsink instead of active

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, Enderman said:

yeah thats what a heatsink is

just a passive heatsink instead of active

well, i guess the term is "heat spreader"

and the key to this topic is that this is implemented for scenarios where there's no "air"

hence, not "air" cooling.

well, i guess that's OP's answer: he could toss his computer in the ocean xD

24 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well, i guess the term is "heat spreader"

and the key to this topic is that this is implemented for scenarios where there's no "air"

hence, not "air" cooling.

well, i guess that's OP's answer: he could toss his computer in the ocean xD

any piece of metal that touches a CPU is considered a heatsink ;)

Spoiler

It sounds like air-cooler is the best you can get in terms of low-cost and reliability. What is the Reason you do not want to air-cool?