4 Pin Molex fan is very slow

epictro11z

It's really slow, and also very quiet. Is something wrong with the power? All my other fans sound normal but this is the only fan attached to my PSU.

Does the fam have a slower RPM limit? Or is it the same as the other fans?

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

Wait you're complaining because a fan is too quiet?Wat?

What type of fan is it?

If the fan has a 4pin connector and it's plugged into a four pin header in the motherboard, that means the motherboard can control the fan speed by sending a signal to the fan through the fourth wire.

Your motherboard may be configured (in BIOS most likely) to adjust the speed of the fan depending on the processor temperature, or something like that. Since your cpu is cold, the motherboard probably keeps the fan at low speed.

7 minutes ago, YubinTheBunny said:

Does the fam have a slower RPM limit? Or is it the same as the other fans?

No, it's a normal fan. I'm a noob, so I'll tell you what I did. I have two Molex four pins coming out from the fan. I plugged the male one into the female one from the PSU. The female one from the fan is just hanging there. I can't find a male molex PSU cable, so I just left it like that

8 minutes ago, Arc_Jester said:

Wait you're complaining because a fan is too quiet?Wat?

What type of fan is it?

Haha, it's a cheap fan that I found online. I don't care about quiet. It's just not pushing the amount of air that I want.

I know it's not the best, https://www.amazon.com/ZCL-12CM-12005-LY-1225M12S-0-36A/dp/B00PZQXNJE?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

8 minutes ago, mariushm said:

If the fan has a 4pin connector and it's plugged into a four pin header in the motherboard, that means the motherboard can control the fan speed by sending a signal to the fan through the fourth wire.

Your motherboard may be configured (in BIOS most likely) to adjust the speed of the fan depending on the processor temperature, or something like that. Since your cpu is cold, the motherboard probably keeps the fan at low speed.

nope, not connected to the motherboard. It's connected to the PSU

10 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

is it only connected to the 5 volt rail 

Can you explain? I've only connected one of the cables to my PSU because the other cable is a female and requires a male PSU connector, which I don't have. Just for clarification, my PSU is an Antec HCG620M.

Just now, epictro11z said:

Can you explain? I've only connected one of the cables to my PSU because the other cable is a female and requires a male PSU connector, which I don't have. Just for clarification, my PSU is an Antec HCG620M.

so if its a 4 pin molex all 4 pins have to be connected. If you only have 2 of the pins connected to the red and black wires then it will only run at 5v. if you have all 4 connected you could still have a bad 12v pin that could not be making good contact inside the pin. have you tried connecting it to another molex cable.

No, there are two cables like this: tjhhbb1393407748513.jpg

One of them is female, one is male. I have plugged the male into the PSU but have not plugged female into anything.

Nah the yellow wire carries the 5 Volt it looks like red and black (12V +Gnd) wires run into the motor .  Can't help but feel that "female MOLEX"[1] should be connected to the MoBo

[1]is that "female MOLEX" a completely different size to the normal one or is it an optical illusion on that Amazon page?

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

2 minutes ago, epictro11z said:

-snip-

DO NOT try to plug the second connector into your PSU you will either destroy the fan or destroy your PSU, that female connector is supposed to be used as a molex pass through so you don't take up a connection.

1 minute ago, soup said:

Nah the yellow wire carries the 5 Volt it looks like red and black (12V +Gnd) wires run into the motor .  Can't help but feel that "female MOLEX"[1] should be connected to the MoBo

[1]is that "female MOLEX" a completely different size to the normal one or is it an optical illusion on that Amazon page?

I have no idea what you're saying, sorry, I'm such a noob xD

1 minute ago, Arc_Jester said:

DO NOT try to plug the second connector into your PSU you will either destroy the fan or destroy your PSU, that female connector is supposed to be used as a molex pass through so you don't take up a connection.

OK, so there's nothing wrong there :-/

that other cable is just supposed to lie there?

Are your temps too high?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are your temps too high?

No, not at all, I just found a fan and wanted to put it in.

1 minute ago, epictro11z said:

No, not at all, I just found a fan and wanted to put it in.

Does the fan have a model name?

If your temps are fine, just enjoy the quiet.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

OK, so there's nothing wrong there :-/

that other cable is just supposed to lie there?

Yes, you can daisy chain other fans to it or connect it to another device that uses molex power but DO NOT try to connect it back to the PSU.

Since that fan is so cheap looking I wouldn't be surprised if it was meant to run at really low rpm. If you don't care about noise and want some cheap fans that move a lot of air then checkout Yate Loon fans.

I have no idea what you're saying, sorry, I'm such a noob xD

Just completely ignore me.

Note to self :- Do not post when knackered and hyped on cold medecine (00:20 here at mo).

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

1 minute ago, Arc_Jester said:

Yes, you can daisy chain other fans to it or connect it to another device that uses molex power but DO NOT try to connect it back to the PSU.

Since that fan is so cheap looking I wouldn't be surprised if it was meant to run at really low rpm. If you don't care about noise and want some cheap fans that move a lot of air then checkout Yate Loon fans.

Yeah just a cheap fan. It literally pushes no air though, like it's running at 20% the speed of all my other fans.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Does the fan have a model name?

If your temps are fine, just enjoy the quiet.

Yeah, it's a cheapy one.

bxycoo1393407747689.jpg

14 minutes ago, Arc_Jester said:

also, how about the 4 pin that's attached to the PSU cable? Should I plug that in to the mobo?

37 minutes ago, epictro11z said:

also, how about the 4 pin that's attached to the PSU cable? Should I plug that in to the mobo?

What 4 pin are you referring to?pictures?