Safe to cut PWM line off 4 pin fan connector?

ljcool_17
Go to solution Solved by Flojer0,

Yes and it's safe, all the pwm line does is tell the fan what RPM to go. And you can still control the fan speed with voltage.

So my question is pretty straight forward. If it's ok to plug a 4 pin to 3 pin header and 3 pin to 4 pin, would it be safe to cut the PWM line off a 4 pin connector basically turning it into a 3 pin and plugging it into either headers.

No need to reason if it's stupid or what and/or mention alternatives as I only need a straight up answer if what I'm asking is safe and possible. Thanks :)

You don't need to. It's a waste of time. 3 pin fans will work on 4 pin headers and 4 pin fans will work on 3 pin headers.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yes and it's safe, all the pwm line does is tell the fan what RPM to go. And you can still control the fan speed with voltage.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

Thanks Flojer0! That's all I wanted to know. Unfortunately the others failed to understand what I'm asking. But I'm not really cutting the PWM line of a fan. I just wanted to create a passthrough with my splitter so that the only line connected to my MB would be the RPM read out leaving full control of the fans to my fan controller.