[Updated after Announcement] Microsoft announces XBox One S at E3

For me, the fact that the Scorpio won't be released until late 2017 is a missed opportunity for Microsoft. From what I can see on the web, the 1070 should be more powerful than whatever they can fit in their console, and since it will be released in about a year and a half, won't it be obsolete by then, pretty much like the original Xbox One was at its release?

44 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

the 1070 should be more powerful than whatever they can fit in their console, and since it will be released in about a year and a half, won't it be obsolete by then, pretty much like the original Xbox One was at its release?

Literally said the exact same thing to my friend straight after the announcement.

2 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

Literally said the exact same thing to my friend straight after the announcement.

well it already is when you think about it like that; pretty sure the 1080 is more powerful than it would be.  But, if they can stick to that price point, that's really impressive!

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

well it already is when you think about it like that; pretty sure the 1080 is more powerful than it would be.  But, if they can stick to that price point, that's really impressive!

In another thread i posted it's got a placeholder price of $999 here in Aus, yea i know it will probably go down since it's still a year and half away but still, i don't think it will be that low more around $700-$800 AUD which is just too much imo. Might work out good for Americans though :/

Bluetooth controller is good, hate using a wire with my Xbox one controller, and didn't want a dongle to have to move between pc and laptop

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well in the announcement video they said that they would sell the Scorpio along with the S, which means that it's not a replacement but a high end version that will cost more.

13 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Is that the only change to the controller?

It used to be Wi-Fi direct but since it's Bluetooth it'll be compatible with more than jus Xbox One......

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

13 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

What???!!!

this is stupid.

they need to make a faster Xbone!

the current one is a potato

Well, it'll get there. I mean the Xbox One S that will be releasing soon is basically an updated version that is just smaller and with integrated PSU and updated 4K blu-ray drive, HDMI 2.0, updated controller, new color and new HDD option. The SoC is probably die-shrunk to 14 nm. That's it.

The Scorpio will be faster. Much faster. 6 TFlops compared to Xbox One (S) at 1.3 TFlops. Anandtech has an excellent table:

Microsoft Console Specification Comparison
  Xbox 360 Xbox One Project Scorpio
CPU Cores/Threads 3/6 8/8 8 / ?
CPU Frequency 3.2GHz 1.6GHz (est) ?
CPU µArch IBM PowerPC AMD Jaguar ?
Shared L2 Cache 1MB 2 x 2MB ?
GPU Cores   768 ?
Peak Shader Throughput 0.24 TFLOPS 1.23 TFLOPS >6 TFLOPs
Embedded Memory 10MB eDRAM 32MB eSRAM ?
Embedded Memory Bandwidth 32GB/s 102GB/s ?
System Memory 512MB 1400MHz GDDR3 8GB 2133MHz DDR3 ?
System Memory Bus 128-bits 256-bits ?
System Memory Bandwidth 22.4 GB/s 68.3 GB/s 320 GB/s
Manufacturing Process   28nm ?

The Scorpio will sport an RX 480-like GPU and possibly Zen cores. Some news sites have been reporting that it is Zen but it's not confirmed. The only thing confirmed is that AMD is making both the new S (obviously) and the Scorpio. So as you can see in the table: only three things are confirmed. 8 cores, above 6 Tflops and that it'll have a memory bandwidth of 320 GB/s hinting that it won't have HBM. It seems pretty certain that it'll sport GDDR5X on a 256-bit bus considering that bandwidth number. Uncertain if it'll have some sort of embedded RAM as both previous consoles had. Oh and it'll be out in holiday 2017 which I assume is 'murican for around Christmas?