Graduation Present?

Okay, so my both me and my friend of mine graduated this year. I did pretty well for myself with present, I got a $500 watch, and like $500 more in cash and gift cards, but my friends uncle decided to buy him a new laptop. The laptop which he received was a Toshiba Satellite. It has 12gb of ram, an i7-4150u, and a 1tb HDD, but not a graphics chip. Granted, the 4th gen i7u is better than my second generation i5u in my laptop, but I'm still trying to figure out a few things. First, why in the hell his uncle thought that this was a good graduation present, and two, why are there 12gb's of ram in a computer that doesn't even have a GPU?!

Please help me understand, seriously, I'm on the brink of just telling him to just sell the laptop and get a real one. 

No GPU, so running graphics on APU/CPU, so I would guess shared memory?!?

Because people are not all about gaming, and many thjings use ram and CPU but not gpu

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

12 GB of ram....

It's probably because it's a laptop designed for office users that need enough ram for their uses.

There is an integrated gpu (Intel HD 4400). That's why because Toshiba needed  to have some cuts in order to sell a computer for a specific price with that amount of ram.

11 minutes ago, positivePXL said:

The laptop which he received was a Toshiba Satellite. why are there 12gb's of ram in a computer that doesn't even have a GPU?!

It's not a gaming laptop

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

Maybe he does graphics designing?
I would personally get an i7 12GB system over an i5 system with a GPU because of that reason.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

12gb because the manufacturer may have been building them initially with a large batch order of 4gb SODIMMs, and when prices crashed, decided to throw an extra 8 in there.  8gb is minimum these days, so an extra 4gb gives you a bit of headroom.

As far as graphics chip goes, the HD4400 is very capable.  Its not a gaming chip, but then again, gaming on a laptop is relatively futile and almost never a great experience compared to a proper desktop gaming rig.  Upgraded with an appropriate SSD, it should be a pretty good laptop for college where gaming is more of a distraction than a useful feature on a laptop. 

The Toshiba definitely wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm not sure if there's really a lot of resale value available for it.  Yeah I would have rather a Dell Latitude, but whether the Toshiba is sell-able for enough to buy a Haswell Latitude, I'm not sure. 

There are laptops for different things than gaming.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.