Why is VGA so bad?

Jizburg

I use a 7970 and a HD display but it uses a vga connector. I have compared it to my mums hdmi display and it looks more or less the same. Hers just has full led back lighting s few colours are better. Don't know what people's problem is.

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

watch this and you won't want to use vga again:

seen it before. I still use it. You can throw as much theory at me as you want but i wont listen until i see real word results. Maybe you should see the problem i have with my TV being too grainy/sharp on hdmi and maybe you would use vga again. I wonder why Linus hasn't done a comparison between vga and dvi like he did with 120hz vs 60hz even though he has had countless requests to do so.

Edit:

WAIT A SECOND. THIS FORUM IS BROKEN. Why am i getting notification of being quoted even though you didn't quote me?

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Coolermaster hyper 212 evo push+pull

Powercolor 7950 pcs+ @1100 mhz core 1400mhz mem

Coolermaster haf 912 advanced 120mm rear, 200mm top 200mm front

Corsair vengeance 2x4gb 1600 MHZ

Windows 8 64bit

Silverstone essentials 500w ST50F-ES

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

watch this and you won't want to use vga again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMVDejZH4kw

watched it.. and well what he says is pretty mutch if you have a good VGA screen with ok latency and good colours there is no real reason to throw it out if you are just gameing at 1080p. am i right?

CRTs aren't bad?

Look bad to me. 

Principal CRT Disadvantages

1. Sharpness 

The CRT's Gaussian beam profile produces images with softer edges that are not as sharp as an LCD at its native resolution. Imperfect focus and color registration also reduce sharpness. Generally sharper than LCDs at other than native resolutions.

2. Interference 

All color CRTs produce annoying Moiré patterns. Many monitors include Moiré reduction, which normally doesn't eliminate the Moiré interference patterns entirely.

3. Geometric Distortion 

Subject to geometric distortion and screen regulation problems. Also affected by magnetic fields from other equipment including other CRTs.

4. Brightness 

Relatively bright but not as bright as LCDs. Not suitable for very brightly lit environments.

5. Screen Shape 

Some CRTs have a rounded spherical or cylindrical shape screen. Newer CRTs are flat.

6. Emissions 

CRTs give off electric, magnetic and electromagnetic fields. There is considerable controversy as to whether any of these pose a health hazard, particularly magnetic fields. The most authoritative scientific studies conclude that they are not harmful but some people remain unconvinced.

7. Physical 

They are large, heavy, and bulky. They consume a lot of electricity and produce a lot of heat.

Yeah, older digital monitors had great converter and with a good cable it looked okay. But I hate it for its fragile pins. So many people have broke them so many times over the years at my school.

i have never ever broken a vga connector nor have i ever heard of anyone doing so or having problems with it, it won't break unless you stupid things which would break other connectors to.

so many has broken over the years at school, well no shit, that is because they are irresponsible and stupid, everything breaks at school.

Look bad to me. 

Principal CRT Disadvantages

1. Sharpness 

The CRT's Gaussian beam profile produces images with softer edges that are not as sharp as an LCD at its native resolution. Imperfect focus and color registration also reduce sharpness. Generally sharper than LCDs at other than native resolutions.

2. Interference 

All color CRTs produce annoying Moiré patterns. Many monitors include Moiré reduction, which normally doesn't eliminate the Moiré interference patterns entirely.

3. Geometric Distortion 

Subject to geometric distortion and screen regulation problems. Also affected by magnetic fields from other equipment including other CRTs.

4. Brightness 

Relatively bright but not as bright as LCDs. Not suitable for very brightly lit environments.

5. Screen Shape 

Some CRTs have a rounded spherical or cylindrical shape screen. Newer CRTs are flat.

6. Emissions 

CRTs give off electric, magnetic and electromagnetic fields. There is considerable controversy as to whether any of these pose a health hazard, particularly magnetic fields. The most authoritative scientific studies conclude that they are not harmful but some people remain unconvinced.

7. Physical 

They are large, heavy, and bulky. They consume a lot of electricity and produce a lot of heat.

Well they have very little input lag compared to LCD and they can take a hit which is useful for those agro LOL players. playing on consoles with A/V cables also looks better on a crt than they do on a LCD. They are also extremely cheap if not free. I never said they were better, I'm just saying aren't bad.

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Windows 8 64bit

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

i have never ever broken a vga connector nor have i ever heard of anyone doing so or having problems with it, it won't break unless you stupid things which would break other connectors to.

me too

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Windows 8 64bit

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

watched it.. and well what he says is pretty mutch if you have a good VGA screen with ok latency and good colours there is no real reason to throw it out if you are just gameing at 1080p. am i right?

Well basicly, if you have a monitor that only uses vga, then you have to use it. However if your monitor can accept dvi/hdmi/displayport, then you could have better image quality and less latency etc if you hdmi/dvi/displayport

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

Well basicly, if you have a monitor that only uses vga, then you have to use it. However if your monitor can accept dvi/hdmi/displayport, then you could have better image quality and less latency etc if you hdmi/dvi/displayport

good=) then i will do just that. (got this screen from my mother at cristmas and it would feel strange to throw it out just because of the cable)

Well just find a pair of identical monitors if you can, connect one with DVI, one with VGA. When they're side by side you will realize how much less crisp the VGA monitor looks. Like I was saying, it's only with the side by side comparison that I ever noticed a difference, but it's something you can't go back to.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

Well just find a pair of identical monitors if you can, connect one with DVI, one with VGA. When they're side by side you will realize how much less crisp the VGA monitor looks. Like I was saying, it's only with the side by side comparison that I ever noticed a difference, but it's something you can't go back to.

ok then the next monitor i buy will be a DVI monitor but i wont throw out a perfectly good working monitor because of the cable :P

ok then the next monitor i buy will be a DVI monitor but i wont throw out a perfectly good working monitor because of the cable :P

Just makes sure it has DisplayPort as well.

so many has broken over the years at school, well no shit, that is because they are irresponsible and stupid, everything breaks at school.

Yeah, especially when you have to stock check the cables at schools, broken cables can be a chore. I've seen pins break due to forcing the connected upside down, wiggling the joint till it breaks among other weird things.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

if it works it works. i will not throw out a monitor just because the connector is outdated xD

CRTs have their uses but the reason i do not use my CRT is because i dont have any room on my desktop:P otherwise i would because dam that screen was good.. (and all but bulletproof xD)

at one point i had 2 computers running on a cheap desk one had 2 15inch crt and the other had 2 17inch crt and you could see a bow in the desk I'm still surprised it never snapped it was like 1-2 inches lower in the middle then the outside of the desk lol

the Analog time "need end now", i am so happy for the new AMD R9 :D

VGA isn't universally bad, but it has much more potential for degraded image quality.  It depends on the environment and interference.  While the interference affects any electrical signal through a cable, any errors in a digital signal can be corrected, while analog signal will be taken exactly as it is, as it has no way of knowing if the value is what was intended.  VGA signal quality does then depend on the cable, more expensive cables with better shielding will hold up better in a turbulent environment.  But if you aren't using it in a place with a lot of electronics going around then it doesn't really matter, no.  But I have had problems with VGA cables and distorted colors and tinting.  Switching to a DVI cable (and no other change) invariably solved the problem.

i have a VGA screen to see what the colours in my work are looking like in lower crappier colour.... there pointless and HDMI screens are better and just as cheap

Character artist in the Games industry.

It isn't really as bad as people make it seem. They just like hopping on the bandwagon because of linus and in fear of what the community will think of them if they feel differently towards VGA. I use a dvi cable to my IPS monitor but i use a vga cable to my tv even thought my graphics card and tv supports HDMI. I can't seem to get hdmi to work properly. It looks so damn grainy. I know most people can't even tell the difference between the two but they still mouth off that VGA is crap because of the bandwagon mentality 

The grainy feel might be due to a bad HDMI cable, I had a similar issue were my PC was hooked up to my monitor via HDMI but the quality was atrocious so I went and bought myself a new cable and hey presto, good quality again (and the old cable was also a tad short). 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

The grainy feel might be due to a bad HDMI cable, I had a similar issue were my PC was hooked up to my monitor via HDMI but the quality was atrocious so I went and bought myself a new cable and hey presto, good quality again (and the old cable was also a tad short). 

what happened to digital signal either being no signal or crystal clear? And i have tried 4 different HDMI cables and they were under 3metres so signal loss was not a factor

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Windows 8 64bit

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

at first when I bought new monitor with the support of hdmi port and started using hdmi, I noticed it wasn't true black image on monitor, colors seemed washed out, but then I figured out that I should change color mode in Nvidia control panel from rgb to YCbCr444 and now it looks good. Black is black!

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

HDMI was deigned for home entertainment. And as usually people by their Bluray drive/DVD player at the same time as their TV, everything is the same version, and everything works.

But when it comes to PC's (desktop/laptop) you have issues. They usually can be fixed, it has to do that the graphic card miss understands the specs of the monitor, and set things wrong.

It's a bit of a pain.

Use DVI or DisplayPort, both of witch are not only better, but specially design for PC's, and are very reliable.

Because it's outdated?  Why are CRT's bad lol..

crt's are better than LCD panels. but they are fat and the colours are not good.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Analog, for heaven's sake, not analogue

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein