After market cooler, need some help.

charbel1011

Alright hello guys it's really nice to come to this forum for to see the best knowledge people here which is really nice,today im planning to do some upgrades to my gaming pc, i have the msi z97 gaming 5 board and core i7 4790 the non k version with cpu fan that comes with it, i want to upgrade the fan to hyper 212 evo cooler master even if im not overclocking but i still get high temps on games so im making my final decision to buy one, but i already have the thermal paste from the old intel fan that comes with it i want to know what's the material i need to use to clean the other material on it and put a new thermal paste the "artic cooling mx4" i heard its the best and i want to know if my mother board the z97 gaming 5 is compatible with my cpu since its non k for that aftermarket cooler, and which cleaners i should get t clean the old thermal paste if anything i can buy put me some links, thankk you

so um?, would a swiftech h220x work?

• CPU
    i7-6850k
  • Motherboard
    MSI X99A Sli Plus
  • RAM
    32GB Crucial Ballistix LP      DDR4-2400
  • GPU                                            MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8Gb
  • Case
    Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB
  • Storage
    Samsung 250GB 850 pro,        WD Black 1TB, WD blue 3TB
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w
  • Display(s)
    Asus vg248qe, Asus vg245h
  • Cooling
    Swiftech H220-x
  • Keyboard
    Logitech g910
  • Mouse
    Logitech g502
  • Sound
    Áudio Technica ATH-M50x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

What do you mean? i am planning to get the hyper evo 212 not the switech but i want to know which cleaners i need to get to clean the old thermal paste.

Didnt understand the whole text, but to clean of the thermalpaste use isopropyl alcohol.

Edit: dont try to get stuff onto the MB or into the Socket itself.

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

1 minute ago, charbel1011 said:

What do you mean? i am planning to get the hyper evo 212 not the switech but i want to know which cleaners i need to get to clean the old thermal paste.

Make sure you quote people so they get your message. 

3 minutes ago, Rodniz said:

Didnt understand the whole text, but to clean of the thermalpaste use isopropyl alcohol.

My main question here is and sorry for making it not clear,i want to know if the hyper evo 212 compatible with my msi z97 gaming 5 board and cpu core i7 4790 the non k version i want to know if this fan is compatible with my system and i want to know the instructions when i am putting the new fan how should i clean the thermal paste and etc.

7 minutes ago, CobbleWalker said:

Oh, and use rubbing alcohol to get off the old thermal paste.  

And what should i use to clean? paper towels?

7 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

Use something that doesnt junks the cpu with lint. Some old cloth or smth. Linus uses his shirts :P

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

12 minutes ago, Rodniz said:

Use something that doesnt junks the cpu with lint. Some old cloth or smth. Linus uses his shirts :P

And after i take the old thermal paste out i can add the new one in? and is the hyper 212 evo compatible with my msi z97 gaming 5 board and with my core i7 4790 non k?

What are your load temps?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

16 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What are your load temps?

80c and more with gaming and that's not acceptable and it makes me so nervous while gaming

21 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

80c and more with gaming and that's not acceptable and it makes me so nervous while gaming

80c is fine. How much higher does it get?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

80c is fine. How much higher does it get?

to 90c? i am really not comfortable to those temps. and i have the money for the 212 evo so why bother with it

1 minute ago, charbel1011 said:

to 90c? i am really not comfortable to those temps. and i have the money for the 212 evo so why bother with it

90c is high. A 212 Evo is a good option although there are often better alternatives. 

I might give a better recommendation if I knew where you were shopping/located and your budget.

1 hour ago, charbel1011 said:

Paper towel/napkins/tissues are fine.

I usually shop by amazon and my limited budge for a cooler is 40$

20 minutes ago, charbel1011 said:

I usually shop by amazon and my limited budge for a cooler is 40$

The usual alternatives aren't on sale atm so the 212 Evo would be a good idea.

29 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The usual alternatives aren't on sale atm so the 212 Evo would be a good idea.

Lets hope it wont be hard to put it on after i take the intel cooler thought.

That should wok just fine, I think I was using 80% alcohol to clean my system.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Personally I don't believe on whole rubbing alcohol nonsense. Its like driving Lamborghini at 40mph speed limit. Why bother when you can do it easier and with same quality. I always use soft paper towels.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, DragonTamer1 said:

That should wok just fine, I think I was using 80% alcohol to clean my system.

So i should get? the one that is 80% or 91%?

6 hours ago, charbel1011 said:

So i should get? the one that is 80% or 91%?

It really doesn't matter, I think that the higher alcohol concentration makes it easier to remove the thermal paste. If it comes down to it you can use soap and water but be prepared to scrub (not the easiest but much more cost effective IMO). Not entirely sure I would use soap and water on the actual CPU though, just a cooler.

Acetone is also a very effective way of removing thermal paste.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

On 6/9/2016 at 3:48 PM, Rodniz said:

coffee filters are a great and cheap lint free solution.