Sound dampen Define R5

Go to solution Solved by Naeaes,
3 minutes ago, ahkenatan said:

Has anyone ever tried to put sound-dampening foam in the bottom of the Define R5? What I mean is the space on the bottom of the case from the end of the power supply to the front of the case.

Would this even yield any noticeable sound-dampening benefit?

I've tried with an older case. Not sure if it was R4 or R2XL but long story short, it won't help. If you have noise from such a well-dampened case like the R5, you need to re-consider your hardware in it.

Has anyone ever tried to put sound-dampening foam in the bottom of the Define R5? What I mean is the space on the bottom of the case from the end of the power supply to the front of the case.

CPU i5 4690k 4.5GHz 

RAM 16GB 1866MHz 

GPU 980 Ti 1.2GHz 

1 minute ago, ahkenatan said:

That wouldn't do much of anything. Sound dampening just helps eliminate any extra noise that's created by an already quiet system.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 minutes ago, ahkenatan said:

In most situations adding extra dampening material doesn't make a huge difference other than prevent sound form bouncing around inside the case if there is no foam at all. 

3 minutes ago, ahkenatan said:

I've tried with an older case. Not sure if it was R4 or R2XL but long story short, it won't help. If you have noise from such a well-dampened case like the R5, you need to re-consider your hardware in it.

Alright, cool. My hardware's really good and it's already really silent (especially at idle), but I was just wondering that if taking "the next step" would be worth it. Thanks for the feedback!

CPU i5 4690k 4.5GHz 

RAM 16GB 1866MHz 

GPU 980 Ti 1.2GHz 

3 hours ago, ahkenatan said:

Alright, cool. My hardware's really good and it's already really silent (especially at idle), but I was just wondering that if taking "the next step" would be worth it. Thanks for the feedback!

Watercooling is the next step for silence haha.

Seriously though, once your hardware gets strong enough, the only way to further reduce noise is go full custom with lots of extra rads.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS