How do you clean your computers?

Preston Garvey

Dust cleaning.  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How do you clean your rigs from dust?

• Air cans
    • Air compressors
    • DataVac
    • Cleaning? That's for losers!
    • A settlement needs your help, I'll mark it on your map.
    • Other

From dust, that is. Do you use cans of air, air compressors (oil less or oil lubricated) or some other means? (Like DataVac). I currently use an oil-lubricated air compressor without a water separator but seeing how dangerous they really are to electronics I should probably look into using something else (maybe going back to the cans).

DataVac is out of the question, it's simply too expensive out of the U.S.

I use compressed air cans, and a soft brush for places I can't seem to clean with the air. I also cleared those ghouls for you.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

I have a 50 gallon air compressor that helps get a lot of the dust out. Usually it gets the computer clean enough that I only need to use it once every 3 months or so.

About once a year I do a full system tear down and remove everything from the case. Dust filters heat sinks and fan fins get cleaned with water and sometimes soap. Fresh thermal paste is applied where it's needed, a lot of times I can scrape most of it off the heat sinks and put it back onto the GPU or CPU. Even the power supply gets opened up and cleaned inside (but not with water).

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

1 hour ago, DragonTamer1 said:

a lot of times I can scrape most of it off the heat sinks and put it back onto the GPU or CPU.

...why? Why would you reuse old thermal paste?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I yank out my pressure washer for the old spray and pray

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

9 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

...why? Why would you reuse old thermal paste?

There is usually nothing wrong with it, it just needs to be moved around with a tongue depressor so it's not too thin.

Remembering that I'm too poor to even afford thermal paste I make that shit last for as long as I can.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

I'd get Nate and Nora to do it, they help out settlements so well, they'll probably do a good job with cleaning computers.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

8 hours ago, Gale said:

I use compressed air cans, and a soft brush for places I can't seem to clean with the air. I also cleared those ghouls for you.

Any specific brand of air or do you use what you come across, so to speak?

Thank you, General. I've received word that another settlement needs your help. A pack of raiders.

8 hours ago, W-L said:

In generally use compressed air cans and a brush to get stubborn one that won't leave. 

-Moved to General Discussion Section- 

This seems to be common practice. How do you deal with pressure loss when the cans get too cold? Do you have two or more to alternate with or do you simply wait?

6 hours ago, DragonTamer1 said:

I have a 50 gallon air compressor that helps get a lot of the dust out. Usually it gets the computer clean enough that I only need to use it once every 3 months or so.

About once a year I do a full system tear down and remove everything from the case. Dust filters heat sinks and fan fins get cleaned with water and sometimes soap. Fresh thermal paste is applied where it's needed, a lot of times I can scrape most of it off the heat sinks and put it back onto the GPU or CPU. Even the power supply gets opened up and cleaned inside (but not with water).

Is that compressor oil-lubricated? If so, do you have oil and water separators on it?

You're a better person than me, then. I can't for the life of me be arsed to do a full system tear down just for cleaning.

4 hours ago, herman mcpootis said:

I'd get Nate and Nora to do it, they help out settlements so well, they'll probably do a good job with cleaning computers.

They're too busy helping settlements, I've personally seen to that.

24 minutes ago, Preston Garvey said:

Any specific brand of air or do you use what you come across, so to speak?

I usually use this one, but none of the random ones I've used before have been bad.

24 minutes ago, Preston Garvey said:

Thank you, General. I've received word that another settlement needs your help. A pack of raiders.

Sure.

*Later* Let me delete this side-quest from my Pip-- I CAN'T.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

3 minutes ago, Gale said:

I usually use this one, but none of the random ones I've used before have been bad.

Sure.

*Later* Let me delete this side-quest from my Pip-- I CAN'T.

Looks nice. I'll see if we have anything similar here in Sweden.

You're doomed, General. *laughs manically*

8 hours ago, Preston Garvey said:

Is that compressor oil-lubricated? If so, do you have oil and water separators on it?

No, it's an oil free compressor that was originally bought when we were replacing our roof and needed more air for all the nailguns. If I let it fill all the way up I could easily clean 6 or 7 computers before I would need to turn it back on.

Link to the overkill monster.

1 hour ago, DragonTamer1 said:

No, it's an oil free compressor that was originally bought when we were replacing our roof and needed more air for all the nailguns. If I let it fill all the way up I could easily clean 6 or 7 computers before I would need to turn it back on.

Link to the overkill monster.

That price tag almost makes me teary-eyed because I know it's going to be a LOT more expensive here in Sweden.

I take things apart and wipe them with paper towels/tissues. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

40 minutes ago, Preston Garvey said:

That price tag almost makes me teary-eyed because I know it's going to be a LOT more expensive here in Sweden.

That one is serious overkill, like I said it was bought for while we were redoing the roof and there were a lot of people using nail guns. The small portable one just couldn't keep up with even one of them.

@Preston Garvey

usually my system has a very light amount of dust so it's not too big of an issue but multiple cans help. A small air compressor with a dessicator to prevent moisture also works really well.

Compressed air, an couple old artists brushes and (gasp!) a vacuum.

Remain calm, it's an in wall unit which means the tip is metal and it is grounded.

Father-in-law have an air compressor in his machine shop. I sneak in the night to blow some dust. LOL.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

I use an air compressor.

It's just a little oil-less unit. It was cheaper than a data-vac, so...

Charge it to 60 psi, and blow away. 

Not that much dust collects in it. The only hole in my case that isn't filtered is the exhaust.

Due to how quickly dust accumulates, I use air cans for clearing the front filters or any other quick clean ups. I also have an air bulb as a back up. For real cleaning every few months, I lug the heavy SOB down to the garage and fire up the compressor. I drop the truck's tailgate and set the computer on a mat in the bed. I then blast away with the garage door open. I usually remove the PSU, video card, sound card and SSDs before hand as well. Clean them separately. I also wash the filters in the sink too.

I'm too poor for air cans or a compressor, so I generally use a few different sized brushes. If I have a system apart, I'll use a rag. When cleaning a really dirty one (like the family PC) I'll take the fans & heatsinks and wash them with warm water & a sponge. For cleaning out cases, power supplies, or older towers I don't care about as much, I'll take it outside and use a plug-in leaf blower.

Yes, I frequently clean dust out of computers and parts with a leaf blower.

Look at my systems:

Spoiler

My main testing/gaming system "Bitlo" is an upgraded HP Pavilion p6710f:

AMD Athlon II X4 640 undervolted to 1.225v vcore @3.00GHz, with additional undevolts for each P-state.

Stock AMD cooler- with the undervolt that's all I actually need

8GB PNY DDR3

Zotac GTX 560 Ti, 880MHz core & 2360MHz mem at stock voltage, has been delidded and repasted, plan on strapping an AIO on to overcome current temp issues

EVGA 500W PSU

120GB Toshiba Q300 SSD

1TB Seagate HDD

Every day carry: Toshiba Satellite L655-S5150. Pentium P6200 @2.13GHz, 4GB RAM.

Black themed workstation I'm working on:

Xeon E5-2670 (SR0KX)

Cooler Master Hyper T4

ASRock X79 Extreme4

16GB (2x8) Adata XPG DDR3

Gigabyte R9 290 OC Edition

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Dell XPS 630i 750W PSU

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD

Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB HDD

Diablotek EVO ATX Midtower case

I have a 22Gal oilless compressor, Why would I buy air in a can:D

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

I am surprised no one said Data Vac.  I've had mine for a few years now and love it!