7970 New drivers problems

Stav Kats
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

try increasing the voltage or lowering the clock speed to increase stability

then try older drivers

then if none of that works you probably need a new GPU

I was using the same drivers on my XFX 7970 for so long, but yesterday I decided to update them. I used AMD's clean up utility and installed new drivers using the auto-detect system. They were installed correctly but after a while I saw a flicker on my screen. I thought it wasn't something and I kept on using my computer. But then, after a few minutes another came. And then after a few more minutes another sudden screen flicker appeared. So I understood that something's wrong with the drivers. In my attempt to fix that I installed a bunch of other drivers from AMD, but nothing changed. It flickers out of the blue, with no relation to heat or GPU usage. 

Also, just a few minutes ago, my drivers crashed and my windows explorer(using Windows 7-64bit) changed to the white "safe modish" look.

What do you think that is happening with my system? Is it common? Should I install even older drivers, like 15.7.1?

Thanks in advance!

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

then try older drivers

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

maybe the new drivers stressed the card too much?

couldn't do a rollback in the device manager?

been to windows updates lately?

10 minutes ago, LabRat said:

i get some flickering too while using the latest driver on my r9 390 and r9 290 machine, it could just be driver bugs.

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

I suggest making a thread on AMD's driver support forum: https://community.amd.com/community/support-forums/drivers-software

There's also a Report Issue feature in Crimson driver panel, if you first click the Preferences tab, at the bottom of the home panel.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

9 hours ago, MrTiC said:

9 hours ago, Enderman said:

then try older drivers

9 hours ago, LabRat said:

8 hours ago, Hero7750 said:

i get some flickering too while using the latest driver on my r9 390 and r9 290 machine, it could just be driver bugs.

8 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

I suggest making a thread on AMD's driver support forum: https://community.amd.com/community/support-forums/drivers-software

There's also a Report Issue feature in Crimson driver panel, if you first click the Preferences tab, at the bottom of the home panel.

Thanks for all your help guys. Installing older drivers fixed my problem but does this mean that I will never be able to update to a newer driver? Am I stuck to this and only this one? :/ 

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

6 hours ago, Stav Kats said:

Thanks for all your help guys. Installing older drivers fixed my problem but does this mean that I will never be able to update to a newer driver? Am I stuck to this and only this one? :/ 

you can try updating to the next one they release and it will probably work fine

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

you can try updating to the next one they release and it will probably work fine

don't say that.

3 minutes ago, LabRat said:

don't say that.

???

what?

why?

wtf?

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Stav Kats said:

no when they release a new driver you can upgrade to that one

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

6 minutes ago, Hero7750 said:

no when they release a new driver you can upgrade to that one

Given they respond to and fix the bug. Its been a bug on my Fury card for a really long time, at least a year now and I reported it right away.

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

???

what?

why?

wtf?

I've had new drivers destroy cards. saying the next one will be okay is no guarantee. then you need to take into account the different architecture of the cards. and the fact that AMD and nvidia have been petering out support for the older cards. times are changing .

13 minutes ago, LabRat said:

I've had new drivers destroy cards. saying the next one will be okay is no guarantee. then you need to take into account the different architecture of the cards. and the fact that AMD and nvidia have been petering out support for the older cards. times are changing .

lol drivers do not destroy cards

the last time that happened was over 5 years ago, stop spreading BS

the 7970 is not an old card and all the new drivers still support it

I have had problems with drivers in the past which made me revert to an older driver, the next time nvidia released a driver I updated and the issue was gone

there is absolutely no problem with updating to newer drivers

you need to stop spreading paranoia, because nothing bad happens from updating to a newer version

and idk wtf you're talking about with architecture, drivers are made to support the different architectures

thats why you download the drivers for YOUR card and not some other card

clearly you have little experience updating GPU drivers

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, Enderman said:

lol drivers do not destroy cards

the last time that happened was over 5 years ago, stop spreading BS

the 7970 is not an old card and all the new drivers still support it

I have had problems with drivers in the past which made me revert to an older driver, the next time nvidia released a driver I updated and the issue was gone

there is absolutely no problem with updating to newer drivers

you need to stop spreading paranoia, because nothing bad happens from updating to a newer version

and idk wtf you're talking about with architecture, drivers are made to support the different architectures

thats why you download the drivers for YOUR card and not some other card

clearly you have little experience updating GPU drivers

sorry, but you're wrong!

@Stav Kats
I also updated my drivers to 16.5.3. I started seeing issues (horizontal lines i have learned to associate with vram errors). I will try not to drag the story out, but I: rolled back overclock, completely wiped my boot SSD, and many other things but the error persisted. I downloaded 16.3.2 which they still have available because for some reason the May 22nd release doesn't support APUs or something. Kind of as a last hope before taking my system apart one piece at a time to see what needed replacing. I'm super stoked it worked.

Be sure to hang on to whatever driver you found that works for you, it is nearly impossible to find AMD drivers once they take them off the support site.

In answer to your later question about ever being able to update, I think that they will release a more solid update later that is more stable. This update is a hotfix and I think we are usually lucky if they fix more problems than they create. If you NEED to update drivers (remember, you usually don't unless for new game features or stability) then submit a ticket with your issue. They are pretty good about fixing issues and getting them into subsequent patches, but they have to know what is happening first.

I hope this helps!

9 hours ago, metasynergy said:

@Stav Kats
I also updated my drivers to 16.5.3. I started seeing issues (horizontal lines i have learned to associate with vram errors). I will try not to drag the story out, but I: rolled back overclock, completely wiped my boot SSD, and many other things but the error persisted. I downloaded 16.3.2 which they still have available because for some reason the May 22nd release doesn't support APUs or something. Kind of as a last hope before taking my system apart one piece at a time to see what needed replacing. I'm super stoked it worked.

Be sure to hang on to whatever driver you found that works for you, it is nearly impossible to find AMD drivers once they take them off the support site.

In answer to your later question about ever being able to update, I think that they will release a more solid update later that is more stable. This update is a hotfix and I think we are usually lucky if they fix more problems than they create. If you NEED to update drivers (remember, you usually don't unless for new game features or stability) then submit a ticket with your issue. They are pretty good about fixing issues and getting them into subsequent patches, but they have to know what is happening first.

I hope this helps!

I had to go all the way back to 15.7 :/ 

All the 16.x.x drivers prompted an error about Qt5Core.dll missing from Radeon Settings and I couldn't fix it, so I went back to the Catalyst days and I have no problems now.

7 hours ago, Stav Kats said:

I had to go all the way back to 15.7 :/ 

All the 16.x.x drivers prompted an error about Qt5Core.dll missing from Radeon Settings and I couldn't fix it, so I went back to the Catalyst days and I have no problems now.

In that case... I might just start saving up for the new cards in November if I were you. I'm on a 4k monitor, so I'm super done with my XFX 7950, traded with my little brother for his R9 290 until I can upgrade.  If you think about it as saving like $70 a month, it shouldn't be that bad to save up for a card.

Hey there i don't know if the problem u have is fixed or not, but apparently the crimson 16.6.1 hot fix driver is out and in the release note they said and i quote "Display flickering or corruption may be experienced when playing videos in a web browser."

so you might want to try out the new drivers it might fix the problem.

CPU: FX8320 @ 4.2GHZ, GPU: R9 390 PCS+Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, MotherBoard: ASRock 970 Extreme 3 r2.0, PowerSupply: EVGA 600b 80+Bronze, Storage: seagate Barracuda 1TB SSHD & Case: Corsair Carbide 200r

mantle is broken on alot of cards with the hotfix drivers but the march drivers are the safest ones you can run. 

23 hours ago, huracan said:

Hey there i don't know if the problem u have is fixed or not, but apparently the crimson 16.6.1 hot fix driver is out and in the release note they said and i quote "Display flickering or corruption may be experienced when playing videos in a web browser."

so you might want to try out the new drivers it might fix the problem.

Thanks for telling me about the update. I installed it and it seems to be running a-okay!