Wake on LAN not working (router turns off ports)

Jallerton00
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,
1 minute ago, Jallerton00 said:

Thanks. I was thinking about this, and assumed it would be my only option, but was hoping there would be a cheaper(free)/better way of doing this. I will probably just order a nice cheap switch though.

honestly, its the easiest way. think of it like this: how many hours will you put into a cheaper/free option, and how much are those hours worth before you just get a cheapo gigabit switch?

I have just finished wiring my PC directly into the router, but have found it turns off ports after a certain amount of inactivity, meaning WOL will no longer work, (it was previously working with Ethernet over power line). My router is the BT home hub 3, and my question is how do I keep the ports from going to sleep while my PC is in sleep mode.

Thanks

Main PC - Ryzen 5 3600, ASUS ROG STRIX B450-I GAMING, Corsair 16GB DDR4, Cooler Master Elite 110

VR - HTC Vive

2 minutes ago, blu4 said:

Look for a setting on the router with power saving.

I have, that's where I've come stuck. The only power saving is manual for certain times, which is WiFi only. (This is turned off.)

Main PC - Ryzen 5 3600, ASUS ROG STRIX B450-I GAMING, Corsair 16GB DDR4, Cooler Master Elite 110

VR - HTC Vive

or you just buy a $20 switch and toss it behind it. TP-Link's 5-port gigabit switches are insanely cheap. (and the switch will always be online, hence the port never shuts down)

22 minutes ago, manikyath said:

or you just buy a $20 switch and toss it behind it. TP-Link's 5-port gigabit switches are insanely cheap. (and the switch will always be online, hence the port never shuts down)

Thanks. I was thinking about this, and assumed it would be my only option, but was hoping there would be a cheaper(free)/better way of doing this. I will probably just order a nice cheap switch though.

VR - HTC Vive

1 minute ago, Jallerton00 said:

honestly, its the easiest way. think of it like this: how many hours will you put into a cheaper/free option, and how much are those hours worth before you just get a cheapo gigabit switch?