Air cooling vs AIO

TubsAlwaysWins

So something like a be quiet! dark rock pro 3 vs my current Raijintek Triton (240mm). What would allow a i7-6800K to obtain the highest overclock at the lowest temperatures? (so temps to overclock or however you say it). I want to do a custom look with 720mm or radiator space but that takes money which takes time to get, so a cheap cooler will have to do.

Breaking things 1 day at a time

a 240mm radiator performs about the same as a good air cooler like the DRP3 or NHD15

but your raijintek cooler is crap and will probably leak soon so you should replace it anyway

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

11 minutes ago, Enderman said:

a 240mm radiator performs about the same as a good air cooler like the DRP3 or NHD15

but your raijintek cooler is crap and will probably leak soon so you should replace it anyway

Ive had it since just past last Thanksgiving with no leaks.

So im faced with a few options, because water cooling is good.

1. Buy a GTX 1070 ASAP and then water cool properly

2. Buy part of a watercooling loop (CPU) and use a R9 270X for a while

3. Buy a GTX 1080 and watercool properly even later

4. Get 2x AMD 480's (not sure what the proper name is) and then watercool (if performance is better than 1 1070 or

maybe even 1 1080)

5. Buy a big air cooler and just air cool

So what should I do? I kinda wanna watercool because my house doesn't have air conditioning (#MountainLYFE) and I plan to get things REALLY hot (If i need to I might do 2 Bong Coolers)

20 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

So what should I do? I kinda wanna watercool because my house doesn't have air conditioning (#MountainLYFE) and I plan to get things REALLY hot (If i need to I might do 2 Bong Coolers)

watercooling and air cooling will put out exactly the same amount of heat into your house

watercooling does not magically make heat disappear

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

watercooling and air cooling will put out exactly the same amount of heat into your house

watercooling does not magically make heat disappear

Yes but there is quite a temperature difference between a 240mm RAD and 720mm RAD on your CPU. And nobody likes toasty CPU's. I would personally like to not loose a few years on a $450 CPU due to heat

2 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Yes but there is quite a temperature difference between a 240mm RAD and 720mm RAD on your CPU. And nobody likes toasty CPU's

building a custom loop will be $500+

if you have the money then go ahead

if you dont, buy a good aio like the kraken X61 and buy yourself a new GPU too :)

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

if you dont, buy a good aio like the kraken X61 and buy yourself a new GPU too :)

Worry not about the GPU. That will be replaced with 2x 480, 1070, or 1080 depending on how much money I get.

As for the loop I will be doing a boxed custom loop from EK for a while. So the question is, use a Triton for a few months but get a 480, 1070, or 1080, or get a better watercooler and run with onboard graphics or a 270X.

So either a new watercooler or a new GPU

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

$500 for a custom loop? damn man sign me up. My buddy just spent $1100 on his and still has to buy a Waterblock

8 hours ago, Wydz said:

$500 for a custom loop? damn man sign me up. My buddy just spent $1100 on his and still has to buy a Waterblock

yeah, you can get good quality parts for about 500-600 including a GPU waterblock

idk what he spent $1100 on lol

Spoiler

12 hours ago, Wydz said:

Mine isn't a super extreme loop

20 hours ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Yes but there is quite a temperature difference between a 240mm RAD and 720mm RAD on your CPU. And nobody likes toasty CPU's. I would personally like to not loose a few years on a $450 CPU due to heat

Radiator for CPU passes 360mm hits the point of diminishing return. From 240mm to a 720mm rad, you might see a 5-6C max difference. Even taking the consideration of an additional GTX1080, 480mm rad space is plenty. Unless you want to do 2-way or 3-way SLI GTX1080.

40 minutes ago, Deli said:

Radiator for CPU passes 360mm hits the point of diminishing return. From 240mm to a 720mm rad, you might see a 5-6C max difference. Even taking the consideration of an additional 1080, 480mm rad space is plenty. Unless you want to do 2-way or 3-way SLI GTX1080.

Not only that, but I don't think I've ever seen a case that supports more than 480mm. Maybe 560mm.