Two networks - One House

redanalog

Hi guys,

I'm getting limited Bandwith (40Mbps) to the house and I'm looking to make sure that no guests in my house take too much and interrupt from the 30-35Mbps I NEED for browsing facebook and looking up cat videos.

I'm looking to set up a guest network via Wi-fi but my router doesn't seem to do that (ISP provided Router).

Anyone have any ideas as to the best way to go about this?

Get a router that can do such thing seems like the best option.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Yow will probably need to get a Access Point with this kind of functionality. Ubiquiti UniFi AC APs have lots of features including this. ISP stuff tends not to have much functionality.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

4 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Get a router that can do such thing seems like the best option.

Forgot to mention, the ISP has locked the router to their servers but I think I can get the logins.

5 minutes ago, mcraftax said:

Yow will probably need to get a Access Point with this kind of functionality. Ubiquiti UniFi AC APs have lots of features including this. ISP stuff tends not to have much functionality.

They seem to just work off the same network. Is it creating a seperate network or just piggy backing off the same one?

if the router you have is dual band it may be easier and quicker fix to just move your current devices onto  a 5ghz connection and the new guests often automatically join the 2.4ghz connection so with 5ghz you have slightly less range but better transfer speeds and a lot less traffic and interference I use this personally at the moment as I'm about to upgrade all my networking stuff soon 

10 hours ago, redanalog said:

They seem to just work off the same network. Is it creating a seperate network or just piggy backing off the same one?

Access Point does wifi

Router routes traffic

Switch connects wire connection smarty

Wifi-Router is all of the above in one unit.

You would have your ISP router and disable the AP/Wifi and have the Ubiquiti AP handle that or if you want you can get a new router. Have a look at some of the ubiquiti kit, quality stuff at great price for their functionality.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?