Weird colors on my screen

arbie1234

Hello everyone i need some help with my pc which is showing up some weird 8 bit like colors on some parts of the screen, specifically near the sides both of them left and right, they are about an inch wide and stretches lengthwise, it started when i was playing some games then the screen turned red and froze, so i manually turned it off but by the time i booted it up those lines started to appear(even on POST) and then my resolution was back to 640 x 480 so i uninstalled the gpu driver but once i try to reinstall it the screen went black and froze so i assumed it was the gpu then I removed it and booted up and it was fine on the integrated gpu so my question is, is my gpu faulty? if so is there anything i can do about it? because i'm really down on the budget right now, thanks in advance for the replies :) 

my gpu is r9 270x

1 minute ago, Mason_Brasher said:

Does the same problem occur on the IGPU?

nope the screen works fine on the integrated side

1 minute ago, arbie1234 said:

nope the screen works fine on the integrated side

May I ask what your power supply is? And also try to use the card using HDMI, DVI, or VGA. See if you have a damaged cord. ( I have had a similar problem with my PS3 to my TV and it turned out to be the cord).

If that doesn't work, dust the card and plug it back in. 

Still using the IGPU, reinstall the latest version drivers. Shut down your computer, then change your input back to the 270 and see if it works again. If not, then it is broken or just has a problem somewhere in the card or the card's software. 

its a 600watts cougar sl bronze, i tried both dvi and hdmi same problems, thanks for the reply dude i'll try to replace the thermal paste and dust this one off and check if it works, thanks again :) 

12 minutes ago, arbie1234 said:

its a 600watts cougar sl bronze, i tried both dvi and hdmi same problems, thanks for the reply dude i'll try to replace the thermal paste and dust this one off and check if it works, thanks again :) 

Dont do that now. Can you rma it? Is it overheating?

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

From what you've described, it seems like you have a dead GPU. To confirm it, plug the card into a friend's PC, and if it errors there as well, it's time to swap your card.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

44 minutes ago, Rodniz said:

Dont do that now. Can you rma it? Is it overheating?

sadly i can't rma it anymore, i can't really tell i tried installing hwmonitor but the my screen goes black

26 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

From what you've described, it seems like you have a dead GPU. To confirm it, plug the card into a friend's PC, and if it errors there as well, it's time to swap your card.

yeah seems that way to me too, is there anything i can do to fix it? coz i'm really on a tight budget right now lol

4 minutes ago, arbie1234 said:

yeah seems that way to me too, is there anything i can do to fix it? coz i'm really on a tight budget right now lol

Not really... you can look for a repair shop (like this one), but it'll cost you a penny. Or you can try the baking method, which may prolong your card's life at best, though it'll most likely not help at all or straight up permanently destroy it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

3 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Not really... you can look for a repair shop (like this one), but it'll cost you a penny. Or you can try the baking method, which may prolong your card's life at best, though it'll most likely not help at all or straight up permanently destroy it.

Well if cleaning it up and replacing the thermal paste wont work I think I have no choice but to bake the bastard LOL, anyways thanks for the tip dude.