Probability question

spartaman64
1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

so 1/   and that should be in all rights impossible but is it

the ratio you presented is in fact the proof that it is.

2 minutes ago, maulemall said:

everything ends. Even if it is because we end.

yes the universe probably will end but lets say for the example it doesnt

5 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

lets say the universe doesnt have an end and you make an archive of everything that ever happened in the universe. every particle movement, every transfer of energy, and even every quantum occurrence. and then you reset the universe what is the probability that you get the same universe with everything happening exactly the same? pretty much zero in fact if you take into account the universe lasting forever you would probably say it is zero but we know its not zero because it already happened once 

We can't know that probability since we don't know the rules of the universe, and if there are some to begin with.

After that, we can't really decide, since there are things in life which aren't bound by laws, like our consciousness.

That being said, the world isn't as r.andom as we say it is. We say it is because it helps us make sense of it a bit.

5 minutes ago, WaxyMaxy said:

because

VVKbHMS.png

5 minutes ago, maulemall said:

the ratio you presented is in fact the proof that it is.

11 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

lets say the universe doesnt have an end and you make an archive of everything that ever happened in the universe. every particle movement, every transfer of energy, and even every quantum occurrence. and then you reset the universe what is the probability that you get the same universe with everything happening exactly the same? pretty much zero in fact if you take into account the universe lasting forever you would probably say it is zero but we know its not zero because it already happened once 

for the example i said above the possibility is pretty much 1/   also maybe even more so than the marble example but we know it happened once

edit: also lets say you have a basket of an infinite amount of marbles but only 1 is red what is your probability of picking that red marble 1/   but there is a red marble in there

5 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

yes the universe probably will end but lets say for the example it doesnt

the only constant in reality is change.

5 minutes ago, maulemall said:

the only constant in reality is change.

is it though? one of my favorite theories on how the universe ends is that due to entropy energy everywhere in the universe reaches equilibrium and because of that nothing can happen. and when i get into ap physics 2 next year my go to excuse for not doing my homework will be im delaying the end of the universe

29 minutes ago, WaxyMaxy said:

applications that are sensitive to true randomness simply use a sensor to sample naturally occurring random process. Background radiation in the sky is a common source, or particle detectors.

27 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Are those process really random?

i thought about this and since those processes have quantum processes involved so they are probably really random but whats funny is that you are still using a quantum computer just a natural one

11 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

i thought about this and since those processes have quantum processes involved so they are probably really random but whats funny is that you are still using a quantum computer just a natural one

Again, I stand by what I said,  I don't know if nature really is random. Quantum physics is a model to describe some phenomenon, but it remains a model,  which isn't the reality.

33 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

I guess the universe is just a ton of quantum calculations happening at once so you can kind of think of universal background radiation as the output of a natural quantum computer.

While that is a cool thought, the fact remains that we currently have the capability to obtain random numbers.

52 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

for the example i said above the possibility is pretty much 1/   also maybe even more so than the marble example but we know it happened once

edit: also lets say you have a basket of an infinite amount of marbles but only 1 is red what is your probability of picking that red marble 1/   but there is a red marble in there

remember that we also have infinite time, so we pick infinite marbles.

1 minute ago, WaxyMaxy said:

I guess the universe is just a ton of quantum calculations happening at once so you can kind of think of universal background radiation as the output of a natural quantum computer.

While that is a cool thought, the fact remains that we currently have the capability to obtain random numbers.

yes so it would seem that 1/   isnt an impossible probability 

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

yes so it would seem that 1/   isnt an impossible probability 

No it's an undefined probability. the limit I showed exists and is defined. This is an important difference.

7 minutes ago, WaxyMaxy said:

You haven't considered something; the rate at which we pick marbles... we could be picking them at infinite speed.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

2 hours ago, Nuluvius said:

You haven't considered something; the rate at which we pick marbles... we could be picking them at infinite speed.

Well now THAT helps...o.O