windows 10 REMOVED MY FILES!

well I have windows 7 installed on c:/ which have 109gb left, the c:/ contains windows.old and windows.old.000 from old windows 7 intsallation.

I upgraded to windows using the assistant.

When finished I noticed somehow I have 250gb left, the surprise that windows.old.000 is untouched while all folders and files from windows.old were removed and replaced with some stuff that windows 10 didnt like from windows 7 so it put it there like nvidia ,ccleaner and speccy; 

I had many important  files in windows.old (like personal pictures,work,backups...) and I want to restore them, any help?

because it is about 100gb while free space is 100gb as well 

Never use a computer with only one partition. Split the space to C and D drive and use D drive for your stuff. Whenever you reinstall, C gets wiped, D stays.

In your case it's rip.

6 minutes ago, pedro69 said:

Windows.old is a system folder used by Microsoft. If you used this folder to store personal personal files you can't really blame Windows for it.

well I have files , reinstalled windows7, boom they went into windows.old , reinstalled windows 7 , boom windows.old is untouched while windows.old.000 appeared, upgraded to windows 10, boooooooooooooooom windows.old is wiped and replaced with another contains some trash while windows.old.000 is untounched

So why I blame windows?!!

because every time I do custom install it puts my old files ind windows.old000 , .001 , 002 etc , but this time while upgrading it says "all your files is safe" and " you will find all your staff untouched" but actually it wiped them all!!!!

11 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

Never use a computer with only one partition. Split the space to C and D drive and use D drive for your stuff. Whenever you reinstall, C gets wiped, D stays.

In your case it's rip.

I hate using  many partition because I always run out of space in of them, It is not that rip btw well I am installing some kind of "undelete recovery programs"  wish me good luck

16 minutes ago, bkmd100 said:

well I have files , reinstalled windows7, boom they went into windows.old , reinstalled windows 7 , boom windows.old is untouched while windows.old.000 appeared, upgraded to windows 10, boooooooooooooooom windows.old is wiped and replaced with another contains some trash while windows.old.000 is untounched

So why I blame windows?!!

because every time I do custom install it puts my old files ind windows.old000 , .001 , 002 etc , but this time while upgrading it says "all your files is safe" and " you will find all your staff untouched" but actually it wiped them all!!!!

I dont understand why you dont simply use 2 sepperate partitions or drives.

All important personal data and files should never be stored on your OS partition.

Simply because MS has layed off all their beta testers, so every single KB update they force out to the "free upgrade" users could potentialy brick your installation.

Let allone all the potential virus and malware infections you could possibly get on your OS drive.

Next to that, i can even less understand it, that you do re-installs of your OSses on the same partitions without even formatting it.

Thats why you get all those windows-old folders.

Windows10 simply kept one of the windows-old folders. probably the 001.

After reverting back to Windows7 it most likely restored your windows-old folders.

But still, you can basicly only blame your self for not organising your files very well.

Use Recuva to pull out as much data as possible.

And do it ASAP before it all gets overwritten.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

1 minute ago, Sintezza said:

I dont understand why you dont simply use 2 sepperate partitions or drives.

All important personal data and files should never be stored on your OS partition.

because usually I run out of space in one of them and as far as I know it is impossible to extend a partition unless you format the whole drive.

5 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Next to that, i can even less understand it, that you do re-installs of your OSses on the same partitions without even formatting it.

Thats why you get all those windows-old folders.

Yes I know, I actually tried from wind xp to 8.1 it always make windows.old."number" so I can find my files which is very great , I even once installed windows 10 from disc and it did the same thing, I believe in this case it was a bug from the update assistant

Well I don't know what to say... that is like putting files in the Temp folder, and complain that your Temp folder was cleared...

Anyway, live and learn I guess... I did my share of stupidities, like no backups, and my drive failed. Try and recover the data. Be sure to tell your recovery data software to recover the file on a different drive, so leave the current one untouched, else the recover data will override potentially recoverable data, making not recoverable anymore.

Aside from that, expect your current Windows.old to be automatically deleted in 30 days under Windows 10.

Keep your files organized, and stop dumping them anywhere, and make backups off the system (like an external drive or disks). Drive failure is something that can happen, and it will also give you protection against randsomware.

It also best to have 2 partitions: C:\ and D:\, where C:\ you have Windows and only Windows, and D:\ you have your programs/games, and personal files (the reason why you install your programs / games in D:\ is because it will be you largest partition, just to have to not have to fight with low space). Then link (right-click > Properties > Location)  Document, Pictures, Videos, etc, folders to the right folders in the D:\ drive. If one day your system screws up beyond repair, you can safely format and re-install Windows without having to worry about your data, as it will only format C:\, and your stuff is in D:\. So you'll just need to re-install your software (to register itself with Windows, have all the system level files it needs, file association, etc.), re-link your personal folders to their right one in D:\ drive once again, and you are ready to go, pretty much.

5 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

Use Recuva to pull out as much data as possible.

And do it ASAP before it all gets overwritten.

Finally someone who understands me, Thnx man I am getting it right now :)

6 minutes ago, bkmd100 said:

because usually I run out of space in one of them and as far as I know it is impossible to extend a partition unless you format the whole drive.

You can with just a few simple clicks in windows disk management if you have 1 drive splitted in two.

- resize C partition.

- expend D partition (or whatever drive letter it has)

Or If you just have one partiition.

- resize C partition

- unallocated -> create new partition.

Also you could try to use recuva.

But dont try to restore the files to the same partition.

Because that will destroy the data.

Als i dont want to crush your hopes and dreams.

But i personaly never have been realy that succesfull in restoring lost data.

Some text documents or images arent that much of a problem.

But larger data like music or video files, most of time just fail.

19 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Well I don't know what to say... that is like putting files in the Temp folder, and complain that your Temp folder was cleared...

Anyway, live and learn I guess... I did my share of stupidities, like no backups, and my drive failed. Try and recover the data. Be sure to tell your recovery data software to recover the file on a different drive, so leave the current one untouched, else the recover data will override potentially recoverable data, ma

Aside from that, expect your current Windows.old to be automatically deleted in 30 days under Windows 10.

Keep your files organized, and stop dumping them anywhere, and make backups off the system (like an external drive or disks). Drive failure is something that can happen, and it will also give you protection against randsomware.

It also best to have 2 partitions: C:\ and D:\, where C:\ you have Windows and only Windows, and D:\ you have your programs/games, and personal files (the reason why you install your programs / games in D:\ is because it will be you largest partition, just to have to not have to fight with low space). Then link (right-click > Properties > Location)  Document, Pictures, Videos, etc, folders to the right folders in the D:\ drive. If one day your system screws up beyond repair, you can safely format and re-install Windows without having to worry about your data, as it will only format C:\, and your stuff is in D:\. So you'll just need to re-install your software (to register itself with Windows, have all the system level files it needs, file association, etc.), re-link your personal folders to their right one in D:\ drive once again, and you are ready to go, pretty much.

thnx for advice :)))

18 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

You can with just a few simple clicks in windows disk management if you have 1 drive splitted in two.

- resize C partition.

- expend D partition (or whatever drive letter it has)

Or If you just have one partiition.

- resize C partition

- unallocated -> create new partition.

sorry I just realized that  the reason I failed to extend one drive that they were no the same type

33 minutes ago, bkmd100 said:

Finally someone who understands me, Thnx man I am getting it right now :)

No problem, I had this same issue when I upgraded to Windows 8.1 when all my programs suddendly disappeared, tho I had a backup so I pulled 'em outta there.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

2 hours ago, bkmd100 said:

well I have windows 7 installed on c:/ which have 109gb left, the c:/ contains windows.old and windows.old.000 from old windows 7 intsallation.

I upgraded to windows using the assistant.

When finished I noticed somehow I have 250gb left, the surprise that windows.old.000 is untouched while all folders and files from windows.old were removed and replaced with some stuff that windows 10 didnt like from windows 7 so it put it there like nvidia ,ccleaner and speccy; 

I had many important  files in windows.old (like personal pictures,work,backups...) and I want to restore them, any help?

From personal experience I can tell you upgrade installs are iffy at best. When ever you are making a major change to your OS, you need to backup your data. This is the reason I have my OS on a SSD and all my data on one of my 2 hard drives. Because if my OS get hosed I just loose my OS and some software on the SSD and all my data is good. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.