How much should I charge for an App

So I am going to be making a app for a football club near me and they will ask how much I charge for the app. What is slandered charge for an app.

$200?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

free? w/ ads?

sorry. Thought it was charging for like in the app store

Depends on how much time it would take you

4 minutes ago, SD2020_ said:

So I am going to be making a app for a football club near me and they will ask how much I charge for the app. What is slandered charge for an app.

Consider how much time it'll take to make the app, like in the US (in my area) the minimum wage is $10, and if I was working 15 hours I'd be making $150 before taxes, honestly I'd double your local minimum wage and then give yourself an estimate on how long it'll take and charge them that.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

It depends on a ton of things:

• Will there be ads or other revenue streams from people just using the app?
  • Do you want it to be a subscription, or a one-time payment?
  • How much effort went into making it?  
    • What was that time worth?
    • How much of it do you want to make back?
  • How many people do you want to buy it (more cost will mean more profit per sale but fewer sales in all likelihood)
    • How much profit do you want to make on sales?

Ultimately you have to decide since you know your audience and you app best.

And thanks for not posting a link (that's not allowed) ;) 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

99 cents is usually the price of an app but if only a few people buy it you could put it around 1.99. I would not go any higher as it might drive away customers

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

3 minutes ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Consider how much time it'll take to make the app, like in the US (in my area) the minimum wage is $10, and if I was working 15 hours I'd be making $150 before taxes, honestly I'd double your local minimum wage and then give yourself an estimate on how long it'll take and charge them that.

That's a good idea and would you have an idea how much I should put on top of the the overall charge for maintaining the app?

Can you clarify?

Are you being paid to make an app? Or are you asking what you should charge for the app in the app store?

well, think of what you'd like to earn per hour of work put into it, then think of how long you'll work on it.

3 minutes ago, SD2020_ said:

That's a good idea and would you have an idea how much I should put on top of the the overall charge for maintaining the app?

What type of maintenance is what you have to consider, are you just updating text and stuff like that or will you be doing graphic overhauls?

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

The app will be on the App Store for free but I will cost for my development of the app.

are  you talking development fee from the football club? if so workout an hourly wadge say £15 an hour then work out how long its gunna take to make 

I lurk a lot

1 minute ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

What type of maintenance is what you have to consider, are you just updating text and stuff like that or will you be doing graphic overhauls?

More so updating text, graphics and adding stuff to the app that they request.

2 minutes ago, SD2020_ said:

The app will be on the App Store for free but I will cost for my development of the app.

dont forget to mention that any bugfixes or updates arent included in the price, because otherwise they'll be calling you 5 years from now asking why stuff's not working and demanding you to fix it.

3 minutes ago, SD2020_ said:

More so updating text, graphics and adding stuff to the app that they request.

I'm not sure what the exchange rate is in Ireland, but maybe like 3 hours at double local minimum wage cost.

4 minutes ago, SD2020_ said:

You should NOT charge a "base fee" for maintaining the app. If they want the app maintained, you should be charging them a monthly or yearly retaining fee. Yearly is probably best, since you likely won't be making updates very frequently, so you want to lock in your maintenance contract for at least 12-months.

I'd look at how much work per update you will be doing (Eg: When they want you to update the app, what do they wanted updated? How long will the changes take, etc?) - then, how many times you estimate they will want it updated per year.

So let's say each update will only take 2 hours, and you figure they'll want it updated 3 times a year - that's 6 hours worth of work - so let's say your time costs $15 an hour for app development, you'd then be looking at $90 a year for ongoing maintenance.

Basically, figure out how much you want to charge per hour, and work with that.

Also, make them sign a contract. Make the contract explicitly clear what you're charging for, what you're expected to deliver, and include the first 12-month's of maintenance inside that contract (Make sure to charge for both App Development and the first year of maintenance though). Make sure the maintenance section clearly spells out what you will and will not update, and include a "Scope of work" for maintenance. Basically, if they want major changes, that falls OUTSIDE of the maintenance agreement, and they will need to pay you additional charges.

Does this make sense to you?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You should NOT charge a "base fee" for maintaining the app. If they want the app maintained, you should be charging them a monthly or yearly retaining fee. Yearly is probably best, since you likely won't be making updates very frequently, so you want to lock in your maintenance contract for at least 12-months.

I'd look at how much work per update you will be doing (Eg: When they want you to update the app, what do they wanted updated? How long will the changes take, etc?) - then, how many times you estimate they will want it updated per year.

So let's say each update will only take 2 hours, and you figure they'll want it updated 3 times a year - that's 6 hours worth of work - so let's say your time costs $15 an hour for app development, you'd then be looking at $90 a year for ongoing maintenance.

Basically, figure out how much you want to charge per hour, and work with that.

Also, make them sign a contract. Make the contract explicitly clear what you're charging for, what you're expected to deliver, and include the first 12-month's of maintenance inside that contract (Make sure to charge for both App Development and the first year of maintenance though). Make sure the maintenance section clearly spells out what you will and will not update, and include a "Scope of work" for maintenance. Basically, if they want major changes, that falls OUTSIDE of the maintenance agreement, and they will need to pay you additional charges.

Does this make sense to you?

Yes it does, thank you for your input :)

14 minutes ago, peej said:

are  you talking development fee from the football club? if so workout an hourly wadge say £15 an hour then work out how long its gunna take to make 

The charge will be for my service creating the app.

Just now, SD2020_ said:

The charge will be for my service creating the app.

yeah so do what i said work out an hourly wage then how long it will take then theres your cost 

I lurk a lot

1 minute ago, peej said:

yeah so do what i said work out an hourly wage then how long it will take then theres your cost 

Thank you very much for the input :)

As mentioned, work out an hourly rate and multiply that by the expected development time. I think you'll find that $200 for the initial fee is very much on the low side.

Note that charging too little in these situations can make you come off as incompetent, inexperienced, or desperate.

When deciding how much you want to charge per hour, consider how much you would make doing software development year round. Very roughly: 52 weeks x 5 days x 8 hours x hourly rate. $25 dollars/hour would not be unreasonable. You do not need to declare your hourly rate to clients; this is just a way to ballpark how much to charge starting out.

Also consider incidental expenses incurred during a project such as licensing fees and add these to your base rate.

6 minutes ago, SSL said:

As mentioned, work out an hourly rate and multiply that by the expected development time. I think you'll find that $200 for the initial fee is very much on the low side.

Note that charging too little in these situations can make you come off as incompetent, inexperienced, or desperate.

When deciding how much you want to charge per hour, consider how much you would make doing software development year round. Very roughly: 52 weeks x 5 days x 8 hours x hourly rate. $25 dollars/hour would not be unreasonable. You do not need to declare your hourly rate to clients; this is just a way to ballpark how much to charge starting out.

Also consider incidental expenses incurred during a project such as licensing fees and add these to your base rate.

Thanks for the input man :)

I was thinking and over all price of $304.6 for the time it would make to create the app, publish and bug fix it.

What do you guys think? 

28 minutes ago, SD2020_ said:

I was thinking and over all price of $304.6 for the time it would make to create the app, publish and bug fix it.

What do you guys think? 

If you don't mind, would you break that down for us based on number of hours you expect, plus your estimated value per hour? It seems a little on the low side, but at the same time, it highly depends on how complex the app is :) And of course, your experience level. If you're just starting out, you don't want to overcharge nor undercharge, and it's a hard balance to reach :P

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)