Turbo Boost doesn't work on my laptop.

Go to solution Solved by Simmytu,

Well I found the solution  :D

When I looked at core temp I found out that there were only 2 cores active so, I restarted my system and turned "Hyperthreading" off and now the system works just fine, all the 4 cores are active and the turbo boost works again!   :rolleyes:

@M-ursu Thanks for bringing my attention back to the Bios  ;)

This topic is solved! 

Hello,

I have a strange problems with my laptop. 

First of all I have a Samsung Series 7 Chronos NP 770Z7E S01NL with the following basic specs.

Intel Core i7 3635QM (2,4Ghz, 6MB L3 Cache, Intel HM76 Chipset, HD Graphics 4000)

AMD Radeon HD 8870M 2GB GDDR5 RAM

Some Samsung made 1 TB HDD

8GB (4+4) Patriot 1600Mhz RAM

Windows 7 Professional, (did a downgrade a month or so ago and everything proceeded fine with all the latest drivers). 

Bios version, P03ABZ

MICOM version, P03ABZ

I can't upload any screenshots in some weird way...  :ph34r: 

The problem:

Basic: 

My main problem with this laptop is that the CPU in some weird way stopped to deliver any Turbo boost whatsoever with any kind of load.

Detailed: 

Temps are always below 45°C (Normal low load) and 55°C with heavy load (Prime95).

The clock speeds won't exceed the "stock" 2.4Ghz and before that the CPU worked just fine. The CPU turbo'd it self to 3.2 when I loaded a webpage or did some heavy task on Blender. 

I think that the turbo boost was somehow and somewhere disabled because when I got this laptop it had a clockspeed range of 2.4 up to 3.4Ghz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology but now it says 2.4~2.39Ghz with no reason why.

How it started you might ask?

Well I don't know what happened to this laptop, I noticed it today when I played MineCraft after a while and I had much lower FPS count (30~45 instead of 100+). I thought that the Anti Aliasing from the Catalyst Control Center the problem maker was like it was turned itself too high causing my game to lag.

But when I looked at the Game Optimisation menu I didn't see anything weird, it was set just as what I wanted from it. 

So I loaded another game, Rise of the Reds (a mod for Generals ZH), it's pretty CPU demanding game and guess what it lagged so much that the game isn't playable (10 instead of 25+ FPS ). 

What I tried:

I did some troubleshooting like setting the laptop to high performance in the power options, disabled any power saving options with the Samsung Easy Settings. Looked in the Bios of the laptop, it didn't have any enable/ disable Turbo Boost options, I only found a "Turbo boost control". Makes the turbo kick in at certain point, I enabled that, didn't help and disabled it again and nothing changed at all. So I reset the Bios and tried to do a system restore. Didn't help either.  

Some details about the bios: 

The Bios does have couple basic options like turning hyperthreading on or off, changing the time, battery calibration, battery power saving options, drive priority.   

So then I did a Google search but didn't find anything helpful. 

Again I don't know when it happened but I know for certain that this problem started yesterday when I didn't game on my laptop. Because the day before yesterday the laptop worked fine. 

What I could do: 

I'm planning to uninstall all the drivers and install them again. 

I can return my laptop to the retailer, Wehkamp.nl.

I also have a restoration partition on my HDD so I can install Windows 8 back if nothings helps. 

So what do you people advice my to do with my laptop? Do you also have another fix for this annoying problem? 

Thanks for the reading  ;)

Added the Bios version 

Edited by Simmytu

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

That is a point of boost, it ain't always on.

And turbo boost time:

I know what the turbo boost is but my problem is that it doesn't work anymore. I never get higher clockspeed than 2.39Ghz at every single temperature/ load/ thread usage. 

I know what the turbo boost is but my problem is that it doesn't work anymore. I never get higher clockspeed than 2.39Ghz at every single temperature/ load/ thread usage. 

Did you try to enable it from bios/UEFI?

Did you try to enable it from bios/UEFI?

Unfortunately I didn't find any enable/ disable option in the Bios.  :(

Are you 100% sure, because it should be there.

I restart my system for the 5th time this day, I will comment back if I find something.

Are you 100% sure, because it should be there.

I think that this picture should be helpful for you, the only Turbo related option is this, the "turbo control". 

Found on this link: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Samsung-Series-7-Chronos-770Z7E-Notebook.89376.0.html

Well I found the solution  :D

When I looked at core temp I found out that there were only 2 cores active so, I restarted my system and turned "Hyperthreading" off and now the system works just fine, all the 4 cores are active and the turbo boost works again!   :rolleyes:

@M-ursu Thanks for bringing my attention back to the Bios  ;)

This topic is solved!