AMD Radeon R9 290X to cost similar to GTX 780

Youbetternot

The R9-290x will probably cost similar to the gtx 780

Let me just round up the latest information about R9 290X that is currently available.

Let’s start with the official one, for those who forgot about the event that took place two days ago in Hawaii (unless you are an audiophile, you didn’t miss a lot).

Official AMD specs:

• Over 5 TFLOPS computing power
  • More than 4 billion triangles per second
  • More than 6 billion transistors

Softpedia specs:

• 11 CUs (compute units)
  • 44 SMIDs (11 per CU)
  • 2,816 stream processors
  • 176 TMUs (Texture Mapping Units)
  • 44 ROPs (Raster Operating Units)
  • 4GB GDDR VRAM (6GB models will come later)
  • a 5+1+1 phase design (5 Phase Core and 1 Phase memory)
  • 2 x DVI ports / 1 x HDMI / 1 x DisplayPort
  • 8-Pin plus 6-Pin power connectors (300W TDP

Launch date

Although this is not confirmed, we should expect R9 290X hitting the shelves in second or third week of October. The launch will be focused around Battlefield 4, which you can also preorder with the R9 290X starting from October 3rd in selected stores.

featured in the article 

AMD-R9-290X-slide-850x478.jpg

Source: http://videocardz.com/46115/amd-radeon-r9-290x-cost-similar-gtx-780

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

where did you get this rumour from ?? 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

where did you get this rumour from ?? 

videocardz.com

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Why are there no Corssfire fingers on the reference Design?

maybe it's still a prototype. It should have crossfire finger though, according to Austin Evans' latest post on Facebook, where he was showing a 3x4K monitor setup running off of dual 290X.

who cares...

Doesn't that leave a ridiculous gap between this product and the next one, which is priced at $299.

Or will that be filled by the R9-290 (non 'x' version)?

I am in the market for a new card, I can't afford a 780. I also don't want to buy the 7970Ghz or it's rebrand. Would like to buy something with a new architecture.

Didn't knew Rockstar and nVidia were interchangeable.

Just saw that to LMFAO

Doesn't that leave a ridiculous gap between this product and the next one, which is priced at $299.

Or will that be filled by the R9-290 (non 'x' version)?

I am in the market for a new card, I can't afford a 780. I also don't want to buy the 7970Ghz or it's rebrand. Would like to buy something with a new architecture.

me too i saw a 7970GHZ at 250 and in that case i just rather pay 50 more for a newer card r9 280 i believe...

'Premium performance' will always come with a premium price.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

No offense, but unless I see a set confirmed price, anyone could throw any number around.

I wouldn't be surprised if they release the R9-290X at $400.

If it's at least $600 though, I might pick one up...but that depends if they fix frame pacing on DX9 games > :(

No offense, but unless I see a set confirmed price, anyone could throw any number around.

If it's at least $600 though, I might pick one up...but that depends if they fix frame pacing on DX9 games > :(

If the 290x is $400 I will surely be buying it. $600 is a little too much for me though.

"You can try to play chess with a pigeon. But even if you win, it'll shit on the board and strut around."

I had a dream

I saw R9 290 for 370 and R9 290X for 450

It was a good dream

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

maybe it's still a prototype. It should have crossfire finger though, according to Austin Evans' latest post on Facebook, where he was showing a 3x4K monitor setup running off of dual 290X.

Why are there no Corssfire fingers on the reference Design?

Here you go, from the same link EChondo gave us at the first post:

Where are CrossFire connectors?

The mystery behind the missing crossfire fingers may lead to the technology called Sideport. In few words this technology could support the crossfire connection through the PCI-E slots rather than separate connectors.

Here’s an old article about HD 4870 X2 from anandtech, which might give you more information about this technology. Of course AMD could now call it in a different way, but the idea is still there.

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

$400 makes no sense at all, amd could price it at 780 or even a bit over and still maintain a tonne of sales. The card so far is a beast and they will be trying to price this as high as regular consumers will pay which seems to be around 600-700 atm

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

$400 makes no sense at all, amd could price it at 780 or even a bit over and still maintain a tonne of sales. The card so far is a beast and they will be trying to price this as high as regular consumers will pay which seems to be around 600-700 atm

Sorry but regular consumers do not buy a $600+ GPU, they buy a ~$200 or less GPU.

Hell, when I was building my system I bought a GTX 550ti because I didn't even understand what I was doing, but it turned out in my favor because the 550ti was a nice little card that could play any game at the lowest settings for a decent framerate. Then I upgraded to a 7870 when they came out, for $250 I'm not complaining, but back then 7970's were $400+ and I can't afford to splurge that much. Then later on I bought a second 7870 because it was around $200 on a sale, but that was only months after my first 7870.

Enthusiasts who want the best performance possible will buy the most expensive card, but the regular consumer will not.