Google beats Oracle Over Fair Use Of Java API

ANDROID AUTHORITY SOURCE

BBC NEWS SOURCE

After a very long and expensive lawsuit, Google has finally won over Oracle as court declares Googles use the 37 Java API's for Android fair use.

The owner of Java was seeking $9.3 billion from Google in what it claimed were damages and lost licensing revenue.

Thanks to this ruling Google can continue improving upon their Android ecosystem but I'd like to see them move away from Java in the future to something better for higher performance across devices. 

i7 4790k 4.8GHz  |  16 DDR3 RAM  |  MSI Gaming 5 Mobo  |  ASUS GTX 980 Matrix Platinum

Isn't this like the 3rd round so far? I say "so far" as Oracle have indicated they think they have grounds to appeal... it might still not be over.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

still think they should just move to openJDK

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

20 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

still think they should just move to openJDK

I'm quite sure they have in Android N (if not earlier) because of the lawsuit but they can't really do anything about old devices. 

I just wish they'd drop Java entirely. 

A landmark day for common sense! Boo hoo oracle.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

3 hours ago, Trixanity said:

I'm quite sure they have in Android N (if not earlier) because of the lawsuit but they can't really do anything about old devices. 

I just wish they'd drop Java entirely. 

Wouldn't dropping Java mean that every app would need to be rewritten?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

41 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

Wouldn't dropping Java mean that every app would need to be rewritten?

Depends on what language your app is written in I suppose. Java is not the only supported language. What percentage of apps that are written in Java, I don't know.

41 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Depends on what language your app is written in I suppose. Java is not the only supported language. What percentage of apps that are written in Java, I don't know.

If you look into the actual coding, very few are written with java as a base. The most java is used is simply allowing for certain applications to fun, such as a game on the browser. Beyond this, its just very sparsely used. Google could easily just switch to OpenJDK and not have to care. 

1 hour ago, ltguy said:

A landmark day for common sense! Boo hoo oracle.

I dont understand your reasoning for saying such. Java is a trademarked asset of Oracle. If Google wants to get away with this, they must move to OpenJDK, which is of course, free and open-source. Google would only be fighting simply because of the fact that it wants to tell Oracle that it can use whatever IP they want without risk of punishment, and therefore can use more an more code claiming that it is all "Fair Use".