8gb 980, some games say I have 4gb vram

Hey guys, quick question.  I have an 8 gig gtx 980 in my Sager notebook.  I am a bit confused by what some games and other programs say about my rig.  Some games, the most notable one in my mind is GTA 5, say that I have only 4 gigs of VRam.  Why does this happen and if in the game settings, I go higher than 4gb of VRam usage (unlikely, I know.  But just curious) will I see any negative effects?  

My rig specs:

Sager NP 9870-s

CPU:  6700k @ 4.4ghz

GPU:  GTX 980 8gb non overclocked (yet)

RAM:  32 Gb dual channel ddr4

Storage:  All 850 evo's  2 250gb m.2 in raid 0 and 2 1tb in raid 0.

Thanks for the support folks.

You have been Spfinated!

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Wtf 8GB 980s don't exist.

yes they do on the mobile market...

You can also get 6GB 970m.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Mine is a full desktop 980 chip.  Not a 980m.  But that's besides the point.

You have been Spfinated!

Just now, TheRandomness said:

But whhhyyyyyyyyyyy....

Mobile markets are often a spec race, so having a 8GB 980 is a selling point over a 4GB model. Oh and they can use the same number of memory ic's because higher capacity ic's are now available.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, SPFINATOR1993 said:

Then no it doesnt have 8gb of ram and its best you put that idea out of your head tbh.

Edit: Didn't see it was from a sager notebook.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

1 minute ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Then no it doesnt have 8gb of ram and its best you put that idea out of your head tbh.

actually it does...... peeps are so dumb sometimes...

The mxm 980 comes in both 4GB and 8GB variants.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

There actually was/is GTX-980 non M mobile chips that do have 8GB of VRAM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_900_series

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

3 minutes ago, SPFINATOR1993 said:

It is a MXM module 980, which is different than the 980m but also is available in different capacities than the non-mxm desktop 980.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Well use GPU-Z and it will tell you how much exactly do you have.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

actually it does...... peeps are so dumb sometimes...

The mxm 980 comes in both 4GB and 8GB variants.

See my edit please. I edited it while you were typing.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

See my edit please. I edited it while you were typing.

I just got a chance to see it.  I was pretty sure the mxm 980 did have the two variants.  

You have been Spfinated!

1 minute ago, MilfShake said:

Didn't you read the guy above said that only mobile chips have 8gb ram? The link you gave is a notebook lol

And his system is A NOTEBOOK JESUS FUCK PEOPLE NEED TO READ THE ORIGINAL POST!

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

When I customized the system online when I ordered it, the 8gb chip was the only option on the website for the mxm 980.  So why do some apps show that I only have 4gb of vram?

You have been Spfinated!

1 minute ago, SPFINATOR1993 said:

I just got a chance to see it.  I was pretty sure the mxm 980 did have the two variants.  

Not sure to be honest if you have a game like gta or use a software program you can check on this yourself and know for sure.

Not sure to be honest if you have a game like gta or use a software program you can check on this yourself and know for sure.

I am 100% positive that it is an 8gb card in the system.  I've confirmed that with Nvidia inspector and Gpu-z.  I wonder why this happens....  Thanks for the assistance, patience, and understanding.

You have been Spfinated!

6 minutes ago, SPFINATOR1993 said:

I am 100% positive that it is an 8gb card in the system.  I've confirmed that with Nvidia inspector and Gpu-z.  I wonder why this happens....  Thanks for the assistance, patience, and understanding.

Maybe an issue with the games and the drivers?

Dunno what else to say.

Also, it's fucking amazing that no one but one person outside of the OP knows that he's talking about a laptop.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

17 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

GTA is a bad example. It insists my GTX 970 has 8GB. I can only imagine it is seeing the SLI and adding them together.

45 minutes ago, SPFINATOR1993 said:

When I customized the system online when I ordered it, the 8gb chip was the only option on the website for the mxm 980.  So why do some apps show that I only have 4gb of vram?

Perhaps the apps only look at the GPU which they would recognize as having 4GB rather than the actual amount installed for the MXM. If this is the case you could likely safely exceed the max ram apps list.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

5 hours ago, othertomperson said:

GTA is a bad example. It insists my GTX 970 has 8GB. I can only imagine it is seeing the SLI and adding them together.

That's quite bizarre.  Funny, but definitely bizarre.

You have been Spfinated!

4 hours ago, Centurius said:

Perhaps the apps only look at the GPU which they would recognize as having 4GB rather than the actual amount installed for the MXM. If this is the case you could likely safely exceed the max ram apps list.

That's what I had thought.  But I wasn't sure if exceeding that would cause any funny issues in the games.  Thanks!

You have been Spfinated!

I'd personally use Riva Tuner while in game and see what it reports. Quite interested if games that see only 4GB can use more. If they can, nothing to worry about. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.