Pokemon Transferring? (GB, GBA, GBC, DS, 3DS)

Johnmakuta

I started playing Pokemon with FireRed so I never played the original GB games. I wanted to go back and play them but I heard that you can't transfer Pokemon those original games. Is this true? If so then why have I heard you can transfer them from the Digital copies that are now available. Using Pokemon Bank? Sorry, I stopped avidly playing at White. Can someone shed some light on this? I want to get my hands on that glitches out Mew and any other Pokemon I don't want to miss.

Gen 1 can transfer to Gen 2 no problems, but even though the GBA can play the older Gen 1/2 carts there was no capability coded in to transfer Pokemon from Gen 1/2 to Gen 3, and considering there was the Gen 1 remakes in the form of FireRed/LeafGreen the lack of a way to move Pokemon from Gen 1 to Gen 3 (via Gen 2) became rather non-existent.

As for the digital re-released of Gen 1 on the 3DS family, they can move Pokemon to Gen 5/6 via Pokemon Bank as (basically) a side effect of being able to use the Bank to move Pokemon from Gen 5 to Gen 6 (or between Gen 6 carts and Gen 6 digital distros).

So using FireRed/LeafGreen with Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and HeartGold/SoulSilver with Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, you can get the effect of having Gen 1 & Gen 2 Pokemon in Gens 3-6 (via link cables in Gen 3, DS/Lite's GBA port between Gen 3 & 4, & Ad-Hoc WiFi for Gen 4-onwards) even though the original Pokemon from the original games can't directly be moved on up due to older coding/hardware issues. There's even special acknowledgements in OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire if you've managed to import any Pokemon from the original Gen 3 carts into the new Gen 6 carts.

10 hours ago, Technous285 said:

Gen 1 can transfer to Gen 2 no problems, but even though the GBA can play the older Gen 1/2 carts there was no capability coded in to transfer Pokemon from Gen 1/2 to Gen 3, and considering there was the Gen 1 remakes in the form of FireRed/LeafGreen the lack of a way to move Pokemon from Gen 1 to Gen 3 (via Gen 2) became rather non-existent.

As for the digital re-released of Gen 1 on the 3DS family, they can move Pokemon to Gen 5/6 via Pokemon Bank as (basically) a side effect of being able to use the Bank to move Pokemon from Gen 5 to Gen 6 (or between Gen 6 carts and Gen 6 digital distros).

So using FireRed/LeafGreen with Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and HeartGold/SoulSilver with Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, you can get the effect of having Gen 1 & Gen 2 Pokemon in Gens 3-6 (via link cables in Gen 3, DS/Lite's GBA port between Gen 3 & 4, & Ad-Hoc WiFi for Gen 4-onwards) even though the original Pokemon from the original games can't directly be moved on up due to older coding/hardware issues. There's even special acknowledgements in OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire if you've managed to import any Pokemon from the original Gen 3 carts into the new Gen 6 carts.

Thank you, this is very helpful

Rather convoluted, but if you've a DS with the GBA slot, and a 3DS, you're good from Gen 3 and onward.

I wonder if going from the Z80 to ARM (ARM7 to be exact) is what broke compatibility between gen 1/2 and 3.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I doubt it was going from the Z80 to ARM7 that broke Gen 1/2 and Gen 3 compatibility, since the GBA had the ARM7 as it's Main Processor and the Z80 as its Co-Processor (sound generation in GBA games, running GB/C games). Then that ARM7 chip got moved over to serve as a co-processor/GBA Compatibility to the ARM9 in the DS/Lite/i (yes, it was still in the DSi even without the GBA port), before the 3DS moved to an ARM11 chip (dual-core on 3DS/XL/2DS & quad-core on NN3DS/XL).

6 hours ago, Technous285 said:

I doubt it was going from the Z80 to ARM7 that broke Gen 1/2 and Gen 3 compatibility, since the GBA had the ARM7 as it's Main Processor and the Z80 as its Co-Processor (sound generation in GBA games, running GB/C games). Then that ARM7 chip got moved over to serve as a co-processor/GBA Compatibility to the ARM9 in the DS/Lite/i (yes, it was still in the DSi even without the GBA port), before the 3DS moved to an ARM11 chip (dual-core on 3DS/XL/2DS & quad-core on NN3DS/XL).

One of the reasons you can't trade between Gen 1/2 and Gen 3 is because they changed the entire IV system. They added a whole bunch of IV numbers to the point that your Pokémon could change stats and even gender in the process of transferring.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/