GTX 1080 Founders Edition Thermal Throttling

So there has been a TON of hype around this card.  One thing that very few are talking about is the issue of thermal throttling on the founders edition.  The issue seems to be unreported by most sites, but that might be due to their use of an open test bench platform.  Apparently, when using it inside a regular computer case, thermals can get pretty high, causing thermal throttling.  Given the $100 premium for the founders edition, this is a load of crap.  Hopefully once custom cooled versions are out the issue will be solved.  

Founders Edition = Suckers Edition 

check out this video analysis

Other interesting points to consider:

- 1080 is only 2% faster than a MSI Lightning 980 Ti

- 1080 is 10% SLOWER than OC'd Titan X

- 1080 is NOT faster than 980 SLI, except in VR where the new simultaneous multi-projection feature makes the 1080 more efficient and thus faster, but for VR only.

In conclusion, yes the 1080 is awesome but lets keep in mind that the Founders Edition is actually a huge rip off and NOBODY should ever buy it.  If you are smart you will wait for 3rd party cards with factory OC and custom cooling in order to properly take advantage of it's potential.  If you already have a 980 Ti or Titan X, and especially if your 980 Ti has a factory OC, this is not an upgrade for you.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Surprising it would have heat issues with such a low TDP 

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

Definitely not the first post we have seen on this. Most people with half a brain haven't even almost considered actually buying a FE card.

2 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

You just watched this video, did you? ;)

yes, that's the one I linked in my post

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

1 minute ago, positivePXL said:

Definitely not the first post we have seen on this. Most people with half a brain haven't even almost considered actually buying a FE card.

Yeah, most people are smarter than that.  Just thought I'd bring it up because some people might not have seen it yet.

PC Build

Desk Build

The founders edition was meant for "People who want premium NVIDIA components on launch" 

1 minute ago, Ronnie76 said:

The founders edition was meant for "People who want premium NVIDIA components on launch" 

"People who want premium NVIDIA components on launch" = Fanboys?  

I guess that makes sense.  There are people who are willing to pay an extra $100 just because they get the feels knowing its Nvidia.

PC Build

Desk Build

1 minute ago, CostcoSamples said:

Maybe if they're water cooling....

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

Its funny how everyone is quoting that video without any proof that its real

what kind of benchmark is "various 2160p benchmarks" or "pc games hardware"

this definitely seems like BS

especially since pretty much ALL REAL REVIEWERS such as LTT, jayztwocents, hardware canucks, etc... all show that the 1080 does NOT throttle

also that it is better than 980 SLI, 980ti, and titan X by more than just a bit

You must be really gullible if you're going to believe 1 video from a random youtube channel with 26k subs over 20 professional reviews from reputable sources

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

"People who want premium NVIDIA components on launch" = Fanboys?  

I guess that makes sense.  There are people who are willing to pay an extra $100 just because they get the feels knowing its Nvidia.

I mean if you wanna drop your GPU and not want to worry about it, don't worry, you got the founder edition man. 

16 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

So there has been a TON of hype around this card.  One thing that very few are talking about is the issue of thermal throttling on the founders edition.  The issue seems to be unreported by most sites, but that might be due to their use of an open test bench platform.  Apparently, when using it inside a regular computer case, thermals can get pretty high, causing thermal throttling.  Given the $100 premium for the founders edition, this is a load of crap.  Hopefully once custom cooled versions are out the issue will be solved.  

Founders Edition = Suckers Edition 

check out this video analysis

Other interesting points to consider:

- 1080 is only 2% faster than a MSI Lightning 980 Ti

- 1080 is 10% SLOWER than OC'd Titan X

- 1080 is NOT faster than 980 SLI, except in VR where the new simultaneous multi-projection feature makes the 1080 more efficient and thus faster, but for VR only.

In conclusion, yes the 1080 is awesome but lets keep in mind that the Founders Edition is actually a huge rip off and NOBODY should ever buy it.  If you are smart you will wait for 3rd party cards with factory OC and custom cooling in order to properly take advantage of it's potential.  If you already have a 980 Ti or Titan X, and especially if your 980 Ti has a factory OC, this is not an upgrade for you.

just gabage get used 980 sli for around the same price or used 980 TI even cheaper=better deal

PC || CPU - I5 3570K @4.5ghz|| Motherboard - Asrock Z77 extreme 4 || CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 || RAM - 1x8GB Vengeance Blue - XPG Adata 2x4GB's (16GB) || Graphics card - EVGA GTX 970 superclocked ACX 2.0 SLI || Storage- SEAGATE FIRECUDA 1TB ||PSU- Corsair AX750 watt gold rated|| Case- NZXT 340 WHITE

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

especially since pretty much ALL REAL REVIEWERS such as LTT, jayztwocents, hardware canucks, etc... all show that the 1080 does NOT throttle

You must be really gullible if you're going to believe 1 video from a random youtube channel with 26k subs over 20 professional reviews from reputable sources

It's worth pointing out, too, that AdoredTV openly admits to not having ever seen this card in person. He is using secondary research. As such you should look at his sources and analyse those, rather then himself.

2 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

It's worth pointing out, too, that AdoredTV openly admits to not having ever seen this card in person. He is using secondary research. As such you should look at his sources and analyse those, rather then himself.

yeah theres no way a guy with 26k subs would get a 1080 for review before it launches

still, real reviews show the 1080 performing well, and jayztwocents 1080 was turboing to like 1800 or more with 50% fan speed

if it turbos, that means its not thermal throttling

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Oh come on now, don't get all butt hurt about it.  He posted links in the video description to his sources.  

The following is from Tom's Hardware (are they professional enough for you?)

" The 1080 hits its temperature target by dropping the GPU's clock rate. During a gaming loop, it falls all the way down to its base frequency, leaving nothing left of GPU Boost. This gets even worse during our stress test, where the core clock dips below the 1607MHz that is supposed to be the GeForce GTX 1080’s floor. "

PC Build

Desk Build

3 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Oh come on now, don't get all butt hurt about it.  He posted links in the video description to his sources.  

The following is from Tom's Hardware (are they professional enough for you?)

" The 1080 hits its temperature target by dropping the GPU's clock rate. During a gaming loop, it falls all the way down to its base frequency, leaving nothing left of GPU Boost. This gets even worse during our stress test, where the core clock dips below the 1607MHz that is supposed to be the GeForce GTX 1080’s floor. "

stress test  =/= gaming

of course if you run kombustor or something stupid like that on any GPU it will heat up a ton

but for regular gaming it runs at 50% fan speed and still boosts

boost = no thermal throttling

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

stress test  =/= gaming

of course if you run kombustor or something stupid like that on any GPU it will heat up a ton

but for regular gaming it runs at 50% fan speed and still boosts

boost = no thermal throttling

Thanks for proving my point.  Jayztwocents said he ran into thermal throttling in his testing as well so there you go.  See 6:45 on his video.

Tom's Hardware and Jayztwocents both stated thermal throttling was a problem in normal gaming in their reviews.

PC Build

Desk Build

4 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Thanks for proving my point.  Jayztwocents said he ran into thermal throttling in his testing as well so there you go.  See 6:45 on his video.

Tom's Hardware and Jayztwocents both stated thermal throttling was a problem in normal gaming in their reviews.

right, my bad

didnt remember correctly

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

right, my bad

didnt remember correctly

No worries.  Just don't buy a founders edition!  Unless you need it for a custom water cooling rig.  I mean, I guess you can buy it for the feels if you really want.

PC Build

Desk Build

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

right, my bad

didnt remember correctly

Don't forget that the reviewers you mentioned did not benchmark the card inside a case, did they?

I have a Fury Nitro and an FX 8320E. Screw my life?

32 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

I mean if you wanna drop your GPU and not want to worry about it, don't worry, you got the founder edition man. 

Are you referring to the very solid aluminum construction, or is there some kind of warranty I don't know about?

PC Build

Desk Build

24 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

No worries.  Just don't buy a founders edition!  Unless you need it for a custom water cooling rig.  I mean, I guess you can buy it for the feels if you really want.

yeah, well the titan X also throttled with the reference cooler

most people (excluding the impatient ones) will definitely buy aftermarket though :)

22 minutes ago, Phoenix721 said:

Don't forget that the reviewers you mentioned did not benchmark the card inside a case, did they?

I think some reviewers actually do test it inside a case to simulate a real scenario, but I'm not sure which ones

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

yeah, well the titan X also throttled with the reference cooler

most people (excluding the impatient ones) will definitely buy aftermarket though :)

I think some reviewers actually do test it inside a case to simulate a real scenario, but I'm not sure which ones

Yeah, I think that the point is that the reference edition is a waste of money unless you are watercooling.

I have a Fury Nitro and an FX 8320E. Screw my life?

3 hours ago, CostcoSamples said:

Are you referring to the very solid aluminum construction, or is there some kind of warranty I don't know about?

No, nvidia claims to use premium components so I was making a joke on the construction of the card