Ethernet? Wifi? Ethernet over power?

For some time I've been struggling with how to connect my gaming PC in my bedroom to the internet. 

Ideally I would just run an ethernet cord from my router to my PC but it's not possible for me to have the ethernet cord run through my lounge and into the bedroom.

I've tried using this small USB wireless adapter to connect over wifi but I've had huge issues with speeds under 1kb/s and often it just won't transfer data at all (even though it registers as connecting to the network).

Alternatively I've tried connecting my PC to this wireless extender via ethernet cord, and connecting to the network that way, but most of the time it won't even transfer data at all.

My internet on other devices is fine; I stream HD video on my laptop while troubleshooting <1kb/s on my PC.

I tried connecting my PC to a laptop via ethernet cord and using the laptop's wifi for the PC, and this worked surprisingly well, but it's not a feasible way to run things all the time.

In an old NCIX video Linus talked about "ethernet over power" (I know it isn't the same as power over ethernet), where I can plug something like this into the wall at both ends (next to my PC and next to the router), then connect to the PC and router to these plugs via ethernet cords.

What should I do? Ethernet over power sounds like a good way to go, I know it isn't as fast as wired but my internet here (in Australia) isn't the greatest anyway, right now I'm getting 1.75 Megabytes/sec which is about the best I ever get. Affordable / simple recommendations?

11 minutes ago, Devmarta said:

so power lan is great on a small curcuit but if your in a big house you can have problems. if a lot of lamps are on the same curcuit as the power lan you will have problems in the evening. maybe try to run power lan on a short distance but threw a lot of walls and then plug it into a cheap acces point.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Wireless is the easiest to set up but also potentialy the slowest

Ethernet over power wires is only really succesfull in houses with 'good' wiring, and especially with older [or cheaper] types does not like going over circuit breakers.

(in a Jayz2cents video it was actually'better' than WiFi )

The best option would be 'bite the bullet' and run some ethernet cabling to your room (but I fully realise that this is not always possible/allowed).

Can you not borrow some adaptors for powerline and see if your wiring is good enough for powerline

There are also a couple of NCIX techtips regarding WiFi V powerline.

In which Linus seems to think Powerline is the best compromise (direct wired is fastest but also most messy/difficult to impliment).

E.G. :-

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

26 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

so power lan is great on a small curcuit but if your in a big house you can have problems. if a lot of lamps are on the same curcuit as the power lan you will have problems in the evening. maybe try to run power lan on a short distance but threw a lot of walls and then plug it into a cheap acces point.

Why is it a problem in larger houses and with more stuff like lamps powered on?

2 minutes ago, Devmarta said:

Why is it a problem in larger houses and with more stuff like lamps powered on?

More circuitry (more crossing of circuit breakers), more things causing interference...

"This too shall pass"

2 hours ago, soup said:

Ethernet over power wires is only really succesfull in houses with 'good' wiring

(in a Jayz2cents video it was actually'better' than WiFi )

The best option would be 'bite the bullet' and run some ethernet cabling to your room (but I fully realise that this is not always possible/allowed).

There are also a couple of NCIX techtips regarding WiFiv powerline

Thanks for referring me to that video, I expect that wireless could be an issue, BUT my laptop wireless gets in fine which is pretty odd.

56 minutes ago, Devmarta said:

BUT my laptop wireless gets in fine which is pretty odd.

Perhaps the WiFi adaptor in the laptop is of much better quality than the small USB adaptor you are using on your main machine.

"This too shall pass"

10 hours ago, Devmarta said:

For some time I've been struggling with how to connect my gaming PC in my bedroom to the internet. 

Ideally I would just run an ethernet cord from my router to my PC but it's not possible for me to have the ethernet cord run through my lounge and into the bedroom.

I've tried using this small USB wireless adapter to connect over wifi but I've had huge issues with speeds under 1kb/s and often it just won't transfer data at all (even though it registers as connecting to the network).

Alternatively I've tried connecting my PC to this wireless extender via ethernet cord, and connecting to the network that way, but most of the time it won't even transfer data at all.

My internet on other devices is fine; I stream HD video on my laptop while troubleshooting <1kb/s on my PC.

I tried connecting my PC to a laptop via ethernet cord and using the laptop's wifi for the PC, and this worked surprisingly well, but it's not a feasible way to run things all the time.

In an old NCIX video Linus talked about "ethernet over power" (I know it isn't the same as power over ethernet), where I can plug something like this into the wall at both ends (next to my PC and next to the router), then connect to the PC and router to these plugs via ethernet cords.

What should I do? Ethernet over power sounds like a good way to go, I know it isn't as fast as wired but my internet here (in Australia) isn't the greatest anyway, right now I'm getting 1.75 Megabytes/sec which is about the best I ever get. Affordable / simple recommendations?

What are your walls made of? Wood, Plaster, Drywall, Cement, or Brick? Whats the distance between your router and the computer you need connected? 

6 hours ago, soup said:

Perhaps the WiFi adaptor in the laptop is of much better quality than the small USB adaptor you are using on your main machine.

The issue is USB WiFi adapters tend to suck. I tend to recommend PCI Express solutions. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 hours ago, Donut417 said:

What are your walls made of? Wood, Plaster, Drywall, Cement, or Brick? Whats the distance between your router and the computer you need connected? 

The issue is USB WiFi adapters tend to suck. I tend to recommend PCI Express solutions. 

Plasterboard AFAIK.

I had suspected the USB wifi adapter could be an issue, I'm looking into ethernet over power solutions now, but there is a huge price range from under $50 to over $150. How much cash is it worth dishing out for one of these?

1 hour ago, Devmarta said:

Plasterboard AFAIK.

I had suspected the USB wifi adapter could be an issue, I'm looking into ethernet over power solutions now, but there is a huge price range from under $50 to over $150. How much cash is it worth dishing out for one of these?

I have never used any. WiFi works well in my home so I dont have issues. I do know from reading about power line Ethernet that it can be hit or miss if they even work. If you have Coax aviable you can look in to Moca. Or buy a better wireless adapter. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

If you're asking what works better well... it depends...

Generally if you're having issues with wireless for some reason or another? Powerline will probably work better. If you aren't then there's a fair chance that you're not going to get any improvement from powerline. And there are scenarios where powerline can perform significantly worse. Just don't expect magic from either option and a standard wired connection will always be better.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

7 hours ago, skywake said:

If you're asking what works better well... it depends...

Generally if you're having issues with wireless for some reason or another? Powerline will probably work better. If you aren't then there's a fair chance that you're not going to get any improvement from powerline. And there are scenarios where powerline can perform significantly worse. Just don't expect magic from either option and a standard wired connection will always be better.

Thanks, when I finally get this sorted out I'll post an update.