1440p @ 144fps vs 4k+GSync @ ~60fps

Greetings.

It's a good time to upgrade, but I'm not sure about what I'd enjoy more: 144hz and maxed out settings at 1440p, or trying for 60fps at 4k+GSync.

If the new GTX 1080 could smash 4k at 60fps at maxed out settings I'd have an easier time deciding, but I think it might be worth waiting for an even beefier card to really nail it.

What do you guys think?

http://www.strawpoll.me/10260352

I asked exactly same question. But nobody shares my enthousiasm. Everybody is telling to wait, and is literally pulling fun down :(

11 minutes ago, lt. ding said:

SNIP

1440p @ 144hz 

reason being, no scaling issues, faster smoother fps, easier to drive and run, and did I mention no scaling issues

if a 1080 (or 1080 sli or 1080 ti) can utterly crush 4k 60fps, then 4k would be a justifiable option, but currently I dont see that being the case, and from benchmarks a single 1080 will not do 4k 60 100%

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1440p and 144hz cause it's a nice mixture of high refresh rate and a good resolution :D (plus I'm pretty sure almost all 144hz 1440p monitors are also IPS panels so...there's the good colour argument gone :D).

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

5 minutes ago, lt. ding said:

for 4k you will need a big display because you seriously dont want scaling! 32" at least.

otherwise if your able to drive 1440p at 144hz you dont really need g-sync imo. it reduces tearing but at that high framerate you cant notice it anyways. if you want the 27" formfactor then go with 1440p.

g-sync is made for you not beeing able run over 60fps all the time so 4k is fine.

personally i would take a look into 34" 21:9 3440*1440. its not quite as hard to drive as 4k but looks amazing for gaming.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Siding with @ShadowCaptain here, the 1080 is a good card but still no real 4K card, just look at benchmarks from demanding games like GTA 5 and Witcher 3. This also leads me to believe that the 1080Ti and/or Vega will not be able to pull of 4K / 60 all the time, and honestly, that's the baseline for me personally.

If you only play older games or are happy with low-mid settings 4K is the way to go, but I wouldn't trade more pixels for lower settings.

So yeah, go 1440 / 144 and enjoy butter smooth gameplay with crispy textures and detailed models.

Joining the 1440p 144Hz (because I own 144Hz and was on 60 for a long time). 

It's a different world :) coming from 1080p u will notice significant increase in image detail and God let me tell you, the 60 is so shit once u experience 144hz u won't be able to go back. What 30 is to you right now, the 60 will be. 

So u get massive refresh rate increase and image quality increase with 1440p option. 

With 4K u get nothing but image quality and price might be much higher for not really gaining a lot.

I personally will go for 4K when single GPU can handle 120Hz (3+ years my prediction).  By that time I might game on VR actually at 4K. Future of gaming is here already we just need to wait for it to really show us what it can do and with current hardware limitations it's not possible.

End of rant lol.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

It depends on you, I value the greater detail more than the higher refresh rate (especially since I do more than just play games) but that will change from person top erson

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You can also just use the integrated poll function in the forum instead of strawpoll.
What games will you play?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

1 minute ago, GER_T4IGA said:

You can also just use the integrated poll function in the forum instead of strawpoll.

Thank you, I'll do that next time.

2 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

What games will you play?

I play DOTA 2, Rust and a few other FPS titles, I also plan on playing Star Citizen someday

1 minute ago, lt. ding said:

Thank you, I'll do that next time.

I play DOTA 2, Rust and a few other FPS titles, I also plan on playing Star Citizen someday

I do not deem any of those to be fast so I would consider NOT getting a 144Hz monitor. Rust is early acces, right? let me guess, game speed is meh and framerate also. Star Citizen ... idk, good luck with +60Hz? (never played so: speculation).
I don't think 144Hz would be necessary in your particular case.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

1440p / 144Hz for me. I have a 980 Ti AMP! Extreme that can play AAA games maxed out (without AA in some cases) at very high FPS (way more than 60 in most cases). Sure, the 1080 can do ~60 FPS at 4K but from the few benchmarks I've seen this isn't a given for all AAA games. It's an incredible card but for my personal situation I'm sticking with my 1440p / 165 Hz (I have a XB271HU) setup and won't make the jump to 4K until a single card can hammer out a guaranteed 60+ FPS at 4K without breaking a sweat. Maybe the 1080 Ti (if there is one) will be that card but seeing as I have so much invested in this card and monitor setup I imagine I'll completely skip this generation and continue to enjoy 1440p for another year or more.

Easy Choice. IPS 1440p 144Hz with Gsync.

4K is ridiculous overrated and costs way to much performance.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I second (or fifth?) the 1440p/144hz choice.

While I can't run 144hz in most games with just a 980, I still find it to be a good middle ground. Most games run ~60fps maxed and look great.

Either that or get a 3440x1440 display as someone mentioned, could be a happy medium

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP