Rift or Vive?

Kryptyx
Go to solution Solved by Nexxus,

Thought this was a good comparison

So I have a Rift preordered but after reading so much about the Vive I'm kind of on the fence. For anyone that currently owns a Rift or a Vive can you give me your thoughts on it so far? I don't see myself using the room scale stuff a whole lot, which is why I opted for the Rift in the first place. With that said, I think the Vive room scale would be great for when I have friends over. I think most of the time I will be using it from a seated position with the goal to get a more immersive experience than a traditional monitor. Cost is not an issue and if I get Rift I will likely get the Oculus Touch once they are out. I can't really justify buying both although that is a possibility as I have a theater room and a spare gaming rig I could setup the Vive in.

So what are your thoughts/experiences with the two major VR platforms so far?

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I would say vive coming from a rift user, unless you're super into your simulators I would go rift if you are. Motion controls just make VR so much more compelling, I've got leap motion drivers which emulate the HTC vive's controls. It's not perfect yet I still have a great time. Once oculus touch comes out either is a great option as long as the price of touch isn't too crazy. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I like what Tested had to say about it.  Today, Vive is a better experience.  But Rift is a slightly better headset due to comfort and built in audio, so once Touch comes out it will have the edge over Vive.  

For myself, I'm going to keep my Rift pre-order and get Touch asap.  I don't expect to play sitting down much once I have Touch.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Vive in my Eyes. Better Controllers and i dont need build in Speakers. I have a good HS.

And im a FB Enemy.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Wait until Oculus Touch is out!

That is if you care about the controllers. If you just want to so simulators, buy the Rift, because its lighter and more comfortable.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Nexxus said:

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you for sharing!

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

If you have the physical space required by the Vive, I would say go for that. I also have a Rift pre-ordered, but I think I will end up with both eventually.