Which is better? Onboard or pcie card WiFi?

Xtreme Gamer

I'm getting the maximus 8 formula that comes with 2x2 mu-mimo ac wifi, and I have a pcie Asus ac68u or ac68 (I don't remember if it has the "U" or not). Which do you guys think is better? Onboard ac WiFi from this formula board, or the pcie WiFi ac card? Thanks for the help!!!!

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

I don't think there will be a large difference. Your primary bottleneck will be your access point. If you Wireless AC caps at 54mb/s it doesn't matter how powerful your computers adapter is.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

I don't think there will be a large difference. Your primary bottleneck will be your access point. If you Wireless AC caps at 54mb/s it doesn't matter how powerful your computers adapter is.

3 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

probably little difference 

But if you had to choose, which one would be better?

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

1 minute ago, Xtreme Gamer said:

But if you had to choose, which one would be better?

i cant say if one is better and that would depend on the price of the wifi card you get but i wouldnt bother and use onboard wifi

Just now, spartaman64 said:

i cant say if one is better and that would depend on the price of the wifi card you get but i wouldnt bother and use onboard wifi

At the time I bought it, which was at least 1-2 years ago, $100

7 minutes ago, Xtreme Gamer said:

still more than good enough 

2 minutes ago, Xtreme Gamer said:

Well I'd try out both if you'll have both available to you anyway. I've been told ASUS enthusiast boards come with great WiFi so if you already have the PCI_e adapter and will have the board. Why not try out both? See which one works better for you. Do some basic tests, ping the gateway, check the bandwidth under adapter status settings, browse the web see which gives better results.

The onboard is mPCIe so no difference

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.