Lightweight 32 Bit Linux OS

Hello,

I just got an Asus EEE Pc (stupid name i know) and it has a 32 bit intel atom processor and i am looking for a really lightweight OS for it to use. I tried linux mint and it was too slow for my taste, and I cant seem to find any 32 bit up to date version of Lubuntu. Any ideas?

Just now, Pretzel said:

Hello,

I just got an Asus EEE Pc (stupid name i know) and it has a 32 bit intel atom processor and i am looking for a really lightweight OS for it to use. I tried linux mint and it was too slow for my taste, and I cant seem to find any 32 bit up to date version of Lubuntu. Any ideas?

also, the D key on my keyboard is working, and I'm relatively sure the key is working properly. Could it have something to do with the ribbon cable that I plugged into the motherboard? Did i plug that in wrong?

Try BunsenLabs or ArchBang. Both are #! derivatives, Bunsen is still based on Debian and ArchBang is obviously based on Arch. I've had a great experience running Arch! on an old Samsung UMPC (800mHz CPU, 1GB RAM, etc...)

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

ARCH !!!

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

ARCH !!!

I don't have the patience for arch.

Just now, Pretzel said:

I don't have the patience for arch.

if you have the patience for linux, you have the patience for arch

(perhaps not the time XD)

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

2 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

Try BunsenLabs or ArchBang. Both are #! derivatives, Bunsen is still based on Debian and ArchBang is obviously based on Arch. I've had a great experience running Arch! on an old Samsung UMPC (800mHz CPU, 1GB RAM, etc...)

Does Archbang start you off like normal Arch? I'm not really familiar enough yet to want to go through the process of setting up a desktop.

1 minute ago, Pretzel said:

Does Archbang start you off like normal Arch? I'm not really familiar enough yet to want to go through the process of setting up a desktop.

You have to partition the drives like you would in Arch (I don't think there's anything like Gedit installed. You'll have to use fdisk. cfdisk, or one of the other included CLI programs). After that, it's a text based installer that does everything for you.

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

16 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Hello,

Here you go. There are links for the 16.04 LTS Xenial Xerus Lubuntu 32bit.

EDIT: Sry forgot the link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home

Manjaro with JWM is a great option, but I do believe lubuntu is available for 32 bit systems as well, they're right here in the download page

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Options in order of preference:

1. Lubuntu.  Lightweight, is just Ubuntu with default programs swapped for more lightweight ones, is generally a very good distro for old and low-powered computers.  You might be able to get away with installing the XFCE desktop environment and using it instead of LXDE for something a bit more cusotmizeable, and still lightweight, but nowhere near as light as LXDE.  Or, just use Openbox as a window manager with no desktop environment.  THis will be even more lightweight, but you'll need to do a lot of tweaking.  (Install tint2 for a taskbar, do some config file editing to get better right-click menus)
  2. Puppy Linux.  Preferably the Ubuntu compatible one, unless you have a thing for Slackware Linux.  Extremely lightweight; the whole OS image is about 200MB.
  3. SliTaz.  Even lighter than Puppy Linux.  The whole OS loads itself into RAM where it only takes about 200MB, so it runs as fast as anything you could hope for.  BUT, SliTaz is a bit less user-friendly than some distros; it's its own thing, not based on any other distro, but is surprisingly usable.  It's lacking a lot of software out of the box and doesn't have the largest amount of software available for it, but it's a damn cool distro.
  4. Get an Ubuntu mini.iso (search for "ubuntu minimal install" and you'll find it).  When you install it, either do a manual package selection or select the Lubuntu Minimal install; this installs a stripped down version of the Lubuntu OS that's very light, but has very little installed.
  5. Get a Debian network install image--this is like the Ubuntu mini.iso--and select whatever their lightweight package collection might be.

Don't bother with Damn Small Linux, though.  It's kind of the OG of super lightweight distros, but it hasn't really had any updates in a very, very long time and is dead in all but name.  (Supposedly there's a new update coming in the next few months, but given how sporadic any work on it is, I wouldn't bother).