need help on matching profile pic to merge with the background

Teletha
Go to solution Solved by vanished,
7 minutes ago, RaW D Coy said:

i suck at math xD any chance you could whip up a formula example

If I'm correct, these will all be true: (though it is possible I've made a mistake somewhere OR that the user pic circle is not in fact proportional to resolution)

• Distance in from the side = 1777 * [your X res] / 3840
  • Distance from the top = 738 * [your Y res] / 2160
  • Size of cutout = 288 * [your X res] / 3840

for 1080p, your X res = 1920 and Y res = 1080,

for 1440p, your X res = 2560 and Y res = 1440, etc.

Hope this helps :)

Another way to do it is just to do it in 4K, even if that's not your res.  Like I said, if the user pic circle is proportional to screen size, just use these numbers and everything will scale up or down to fit anyway.  Though it's possible that the circle is actually different apparent sizes on different resolutions.  Plus scaling could potentially affect it I suppose... o.O

Hello, so i've managed to change the lockscreen image but im trying to fit my profile image to merge with the background making it look like i don't have a picture there since it's kinda ruining the background but im having really hard time trying to go by eye and cutting out squares in paint -.- 

I've managed to get it really near but it's still off if you're eyeballing it.. i kinda want a standard measure like say i have a 4k picture as background then i know it's 3840 x 2160 so i then know exactly at what height and width i should grab the square from i.e start the square at 1965x849 and drag it down to the right 2633x1381 which then would from a square (maybe not on these exact measures but u guys get what im getting at) so i then would have a formula to use for every pic if i want to change it in the future though it will be hard if a pic has higher res than 4k but i can always downscale or upscale if it's to low since i don't know if i could calculate on how to do it on other sizes. So im asking if any1 know any smart way to do this maybe some skillz in photoshop?

AMD Ryzen 7950X3D [x2 360 Rad EKWB] | Asus Extreme x670E | RTX TUF 4090 OC@3GHz [EKWB Block] | Corsair HX1500i | G.Skill Neo CL30 6000MHz (2x32GB) | MP700 2TB Gen5 + 980/950 Pro 1TB M.2 | x6 85PRO 512GB | NAS 4x 18TB Seagate Exo Raid 10+Backblaze | Lian-Li o11D XL | Main Screen: Samsung OLED G9 | AUX: LG IPS7 27" (x2) LG CX 55" G-Sync | Copyright©1996-2024 Teletha All rights reserved. ®

If you know the position and diameter of that circle/square, and your screen resolution it should be easy.  If you have those numbers and the files, I can give it a try

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If you know the position and diameter of that circle/square, and your screen resolution it should be easy.  If you have those numbers and the files, I can give it a try

i've been trying to find the profile pic but they are in a weird format i can't convert them to jpg =/ 

this is what they are named the pic above is when i tried changing it to jpg

AMD Ryzen 7950X3D [x2 360 Rad EKWB] | Asus Extreme x670E | RTX TUF 4090 OC@3GHz [EKWB Block] | Corsair HX1500i | G.Skill Neo CL30 6000MHz (2x32GB) | MP700 2TB Gen5 + 980/950 Pro 1TB M.2 | x6 85PRO 512GB | NAS 4x 18TB Seagate Exo Raid 10+Backblaze | Lian-Li o11D XL | Main Screen: Samsung OLED G9 | AUX: LG IPS7 27" (x2) LG CX 55" G-Sync | Copyright©1996-2024 Teletha All rights reserved. ®

2 minutes ago, RaW D Coy said:

i've been trying to find the profile pic but they are in a weird format i can't convert them to jpg =/ 

ah, typical windows treachery... I'll see what I can do

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

15 minutes ago, RaW D Coy said:

this is what they are named the pic above is when i tried changing it to jpg

solved it.  If you upload the image I can extract it for you :)

Procedure:

• Open the file in a hex editor
  • Scan for the first 2 bytes of a jpg header (FF D8).  There might be a few so find the last one that's still near the top of the file
  • delete everything from the start of the file up to but not including these bytes.  save and rename to end in .jpg

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

solved it.  If you upload the image I can extract it for you :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99391039/b795eea74c3311c8.accountpicture-ms

or the small form (the file actually contains it at 2 sizes)

test2.jpg

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

test.jpg

nice well at least now i know how big the square should be now i have to figure out where to cut the square out from on the picture 

1 minute ago, RaW D Coy said:

nice well at least now i know how big the square should be not i have to figure out where to cut the square out from on the picture 

We just need to know the position that the user pic appears on the lock screen.  Like pixels from the top left corner in x and y.  If we knew this, it would be easy

We just need to know the position that the user pic appears on the lock screen.  Like pixels from the top left corner in x and y.  If we knew this, it would be easy

ye thats the golden value xD

ye thats the golden value xD

I think its 738 px from the top and 1777 px from the side, in a 4K screen

I think its 738 px from the top and 1777 px from the side, in a 4K screen

hm i'll check

6 minutes ago, RaW D Coy said:

hm i'll check

should be, give or take a few.  And the disk itself looks like it's 288 px square.  You'll need that info too, since knowing the size it stores it at is one thing but knowing what size it displays it at is another ;)

a 448x448 square at    738 px from the top and 1777 px from the side, didn't go so well

a 448x448 square at    738 px from the top and 1777 px from the side, didn't go so well

yeah that's too big :P  I measured it at 288 px, so try that :)

yeah that's too big :P  I measured it at 288 px, so try that :)

what do you mean? if i take 288x288 profile pic then it would lower the quality of it since the max res on the profile pic is 448x448

Just now, RaW D Coy said:

what do you mean? if i take 288x288 profile pic then it would lower the quality of it since the max res on the profile pic is 448x448

but it has to be the right size.  You know it's going to display at size "X" (288 if I'm right).  so the area you crop has to cover that size, or proportionally more or less if your background image is not 4K (since all this is based on 4k)

Try these.  If my numbers are right, and if I did this correctly, it will work, but I can't promise anything :P 

(If your screen is not 4K I think this will probably be off)

back.jpg

icon.jpg

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Try these.  If my numbers are right, and if I did this correctly, it will work, but I can't promise anything :P 

(If your screen is not 4K I think this will probably be off)

back.jpg

icon.jpg

my screen is 1440p but the position u gave me should be pretty exact http://imgur.com/8BGhV6j with the 288x288

Just now, RaW D Coy said:

my screen is 1440p but the position u gave me should be pretty exact http://imgur.com/8BGhV6j

yeah looks good to me :)  And after some further thought, I think the above images should work for any size.  Basically the procedure is to find a screenshot at the resolution you want, measure it, and then cut the stuff out of the picture you want.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

yeah looks good to me :)  And after some further thought, I think the above images should work for any size.  Basically the procedure is to find a screenshot at the resolution you want, measure it, and then cut the stuff out of the picture you want.

but won't the position of   1777x738 px be off with different res other than 4k? well no matter i'll just scale them to 4k since it wont really change the quality anyway :)

but won't the position of   1777x738 px be off with different res other than 4k? 

Yes, those numbers (and the 288) are proportional to the screen size, so divide by the numbers for 4k (3840 and 2160) and then multiply by your res to convert it if you can't find a picture to measure precisely, but the pictures I posted should work for anyone since that stuff will just happen automatically when applying them.  You only need to know the math when making a new image :)

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yes, those numbers (and the 288) are proportional to the screen size, so divide by the numbers for 4k (3840 and 2160) and then multiply by your res to convert it if you can't find a picture to measure precisely, but the pictures I posted should work for anyone since that stuff will just happen automatically when applying them.  You only need to know the math when making a new image :)

7 minutes ago, RaW D Coy said:

If I'm correct, these will all be true: (though it is possible I've made a mistake somewhere OR that the user pic circle is not in fact proportional to resolution)

• Distance in from the side = 1777 * [your X res] / 3840
  • Distance from the top = 738 * [your Y res] / 2160
  • Size of cutout = 288 * [your X res] / 3840

for 1080p, your X res = 1920 and Y res = 1080,

for 1440p, your X res = 2560 and Y res = 1440, etc.

Hope this helps :)

Another way to do it is just to do it in 4K, even if that's not your res.  Like I said, if the user pic circle is proportional to screen size, just use these numbers and everything will scale up or down to fit anyway.  Though it's possible that the circle is actually different apparent sizes on different resolutions.  Plus scaling could potentially affect it I suppose... o.O