Your opinions on torrents

ggjono

Hi guys, 

I was just wondering if any of you could help me out with some research I am carrying out for my university work. 

I basically want to get a feel for the general public's opinion on torrents. If you could spare just a few minutes to answer 3 very simple questions I'd be really happy! 

I don't require any personal data apart from what age range you fall into.

http://goo.gl/forms/mLOh0a2AjVRgDaVo1

" get a feel for the general public's "
You're in the wrong place for that. xD

Most of us here recognise that torrenting isn't just for illegally obtaining movies, music and games, so that will screw your poll a bit in one direction.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Torrent file transfer is not illegal, period. What is illegal is distributing copyrighted material, but that can be done in plenty of ways that do not involve torrents.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Done.  Although I think on this form your not going to get a very general idea as to general public opinion.  

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

" get a feel for the general public's "
You're in the wrong place for that. xD

Most of us here recognise that torrenting isn't just for illegally obtaining movies, music and games, so that will screw your poll a bit in one direction.

Don't worry I've been getting responses from a wide range of places ;) 

So many misconceptions about torrents. Torrents in themselves arent illegal....distributing copyrighted content without licence is ///

That said, the fact still remains that torrenting is a key player is piracy

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

Done. Though I'm not sure you will get a good sample here. You should send this to your non-geek everyday guy/girl.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

Done, but as others have said, this might not be the best place to get a good sample of public opinion. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I don't participate random surveys. Just giving fair opinion on torrrents here. I like them for large file transfers like OS .ISOs and back in 2006-09 getting BF2 mods. Torrenting or bittorrent is file transfer protocol (P2P) using distributed model to gain faster and more reliable download and upload on larger files. Media and mainstream has made it synonym to piracy, pretty much like hacking is made synonym to cracking. Torrent style transfer is already used by research parties to distribute large datasets around the world.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On torrents used for illegal downloading:

I think it's stealing - just as bad as stealing in real life - but I still do it (not regularly but if there's something that's ridiculously expensive then I'm going to do it regardless).

Like genuinely, if you think it's not stealing then you're just trying to give your "moral" justification to something immoral. Even arguments like "I'm just using it as a trial" are bollocks because if the creator doesn't want you to do that, you have no right to take it from them. Any breach of copyright in this sense is illegal.

On torrents used legally:

Yeah sound whatevvs. Not the most convenient thing ever but whatever floats your boat etc.

Nice try, feds. You almost fooled me!

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Steam, youtube and Netflix have made them well, irrelevant mostly.

Have fun dodging the take down system then.

COMIC SANS

Torrenting also is better than downloading straight

because with more peers with the download (now they are seeds) the faster the torrent loads.

13-18 lmao... Am I 13, or 18? You'll never know.

As an Australian, I see nothing wrong with torrents. Mainly because I get screwed out of so much stuff due to geoblocking and content streaming services being limited in choice or limited in content compared to overseas offerings.

The main issue with torrent what i think, is keyloggers/RAT. Where most of the people does not know about. They put RAT/Keyloggers in torrent files ( softwares, Games Cracks ) and those RAT/Keyloggers are not detected by Antivirus because they encrypted it, upon starting those softwares or crack, it ran in background and boom they steal your stuff ! 

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w