What Cable to Connect to Desktop if I Go Fiber Optic?

Raccatography
Go to solution Solved by X1XNobleX1X,
6 minutes ago, Raccatography said:

Hi! The household is making the switch from ADSL2 to Fiber Optic internet in a week and we're planning to put the modem in the living room. My PC is in my room and it's 10m away from my living room. What kind of ethernet cable (CAT5? CAT5e?) should I get? I'll only need less than 30m to route the cable from the modem to my desktop

I know this must be a very noob question to a lot of people on Fiber. I just want to get the cable before the change happens. So I can use my PC at the moment we make the switch to Fiber! 

ps I googled about this and I just got terribly confused.. :S

Maybe get CAT 6 / 6A?

For future proofing, you never know you might run 10G-T in the future.

I'm pretty sure you can run 10G on CAT 5E but the price difference isn't that large.

Hi! The household is making the switch from ADSL2 to Fiber Optic internet in a week and we're planning to put the modem in the living room. My PC is in my room and it's 10m away from my living room. What kind of ethernet cable (CAT5? CAT5e?) should I get? I'll only need less than 30m to route the cable from the modem to my desktop

I know this must be a very noob question to a lot of people on Fiber. I just want to get the cable before the change happens. So I can use my PC at the moment we make the switch to Fiber! 

i5 4670k | Noctua NH0-U12S | Asus Z97M Plus | Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb | Palit GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6G | Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

WD Caviar Blue 1tb | Seasonic M12II 850W | Fractal Design Define R5 | Dell U3014 1600p 30" 60Hz

Corsair K65 | Razer Orochi | Bose QuietComfort 15 | Creative SBS A350 2.1

6 minutes ago, Raccatography said:

Maybe get CAT 6 / 6A?

I'm pretty sure you can run 10G on CAT 5E but the price difference isn't that large.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

depending on what speed u  got to ur houshold and what speed u wannt a cat 5e will be enoth for most uses, cat 6 is usuly used in factorys where high network to multible devices is needed

on cat 5e ur geting gigabit internet speed, so if u need more get a cat 6 whitch got 10 gigabit speed, doubt anny hoshold got that speed recuarements

4 minutes ago, synnapt said:

depending on what speed u  got to ur houshold and what speed u wannt a cat 5e will be enoth for most uses, cat 6 is usuly used in factorys where high network to multible devices is needed

Agreed. Cat 5E cables won't bottleneck your internet connectivity, only your file transfers to other computer connected to the router/switch.

10 minutes ago, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

Thank you :) but sadly I live in a country where the Bureau of Customs will tax (ehem, corruption) anything you ship from abroad so hard. :(  

8 minutes ago, X1XNobleX1X said:

Maybe get CAT 6 / 6A?

I'm pretty sure you can run 10G on CAT 5E but eh. 

6 minutes ago, synnapt said:

I'd love to have 10G transfers. The speed I'll get in the first 6 months of installation is 100mbps (My ISP has a promo. If you get fiber now, then your base speed will be doubled) and the succeeding months will be 50mbps. I think I'll go for CAT 5E. If there's a similarly priced CAT 6/6A cable then I'll get that :) Thank you!

i5 4670k | Noctua NH0-U12S | Asus Z97M Plus | Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb | Palit GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6G | Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

WD Caviar Blue 1tb | Seasonic M12II 850W | Fractal Design Define R5 | Dell U3014 1600p 30" 60Hz

If you currently have a wired connection to your PC (ethernet cable from router) then you will be fine and you probably are already using a cat5 cable. When your router gets switched out they will probably plug everything from the old one into the new one and it will work straight away, and you'll have up to a maximum of gigabit speeds (achievable locally but you'll still be limited to 100 or 50 through the internet).

Edit: reread the question. 

Any ethernet cable you find that is long enough will be perfectly fine for what you want. You can say what you want about future proofing, but if you're not fitting it through walls or something you will be fine.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

44 minutes ago, squirrl said:

If you currently have a wired connection to your PC (ethernet cable from router) then you will be fine and you probably are already using a cat5 cable. When your router gets switched out they will probably plug everything from the old one into the new one and it will work straight away, and you'll have up to a maximum of gigabit speeds (achievable locally but you'll still be limited to 100 or 50 through the internet).

Edit: reread the question. 

Any ethernet cable you find that is long enough will be perfectly fine for what you want. You can say what you want about future proofing, but if you're not fitting it through walls or something you will be fine.

My current setup has the modem just behind my monitor, haha! The ethernet cable I have is only a meter long. I'll have to buy a longer one and drill a hole by my door :S

While officially CAT5E will support 10Gb speeds I believe it's limited to 30-ish meters in most cases however it will happily support 5Gb speeds up to 100 or so meters. Cat6 is the bare minimum if you really want 10Gb speeds and beyond. You can actually get 10Gb PCIe cards for a couple hundred bucks these days.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

7 hours ago, Lurick said:

While officially CAT5E will support 10Gb speeds I believe it's limited to 30-ish meters in most cases however it will happily support 5Gb speeds up to 100 or so meters. Cat6 is the bare minimum if you really want 10Gb speeds and beyond. You can actually get 10Gb PCIe cards for a couple hundred bucks these days.

If it's 30m then I can have 10Gb speeds :) unfortunately I don't have a 10Gb PCIe card and a couple hundred bucks is expensive for me, haha! The most taxing thing we'll probably do over the network is stream 1080p movies to the tv!

1 hour ago, Raccatography said:

If it's 30m then I can have 10Gb speeds :) unfortunately I don't have a 10Gb PCIe card and a couple hundred bucks is expensive for me, haha! The most taxing thing we'll probably do over the network is stream 1080p movies to the tv!

Yah, a few hundred bucks is a new graphics card :) . At 1080p you need at most 10Mbps which it sounds like you'll be getting much more than that.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Hi there.

You should check out this information.

If you want to use a WI-FI router, you should use the best 2016 routers available (for cheap) to do the job.

Top: Wi-Fi Routers for Fiber Optics - Optimize your 2016 FTTH network

You may want to use CAT6 or 6A for wiring to your desktop, you dont want to create a bottle neck in there either if your FTTH connection is fast.

Hope this helps!