First truly Comprehensive 140mm Fan Comparison/Review

Curufinwe_wins

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/6622/tested-71-case-fans-of-140-mm-round-up-big-fans

Check it out guys, should be interesting. Obviously it isn't perfect, but SPCR has done next to nothing with 140mm fans, and it's always good to have a real comprehensive comparison.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

This is perhaps the most amazing and awesome aspect of the review. Testing comparison at 7V.

The winner? Fractal Design's GP-14 fans (Famous for inclusion on the Define Series cases)

Pretty amazing to think a relatively budget fan preformed this well compared to others on the market...

chart (4).jpegchart (3).jpegchart (2).jpeg

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

On 5/15/2016 at 5:35 PM, Curufinwe_wins said:

This is perhaps the most amazing and awesome aspect of the review. Testing comparison at 7V.

The winner? Fractal Design's GP-14 fans (Famous for inclusion on the Define Series cases)

Pretty amazing to think a relatively budget fan preformed this well compared to others on the market...

Voltage/rpm is arbitrary. What matters is performance to noise. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Voltage/rpm is arbitrary. What matters is performance to noise. 

I know.... but the fan was not only the highest performance but also only 2 dBa out of the top for noise.

The issue I have with their only efficiency testing is it was at 30 dBa which is imho way too far up the loud spectrum to be a useful measurement (at least for me...)

I wish SPCR would update to have much better testing on the new range of 140mm fans on the market today, but they haven't.

NOTE: Those images are of the best of the best from the 71 fans they tested. The GP-14 is no where near the worst at noise in this test obviously.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

@WoodenMarker Do you remember the people on here a few months back that were swearing by the GP-14 fans? I remember some coming in and talking about tearing them out of the cases before the commercial release and they were super excited when it was actually available.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Good to see the Aerocool DS line finally getting some love. I've shied away from them in the quest for a silent rig (aside from that stupid WD Black drive), but I still have a 140mm hooked up and set to kick in when temps exceed 65C. They move air like crazy, and the LEDs actually look pretty good.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Good to see the Aerocool DS line finally getting some love. I've shied away from them in the quest for a silent rig (aside from that stupid WD Black drive), but I still have a 140mm hooked up and set to kick in when temps exceed 65C. They move air like crazy, and the LEDs actually look pretty good.

Gotta get rid of all spinning rust in your system. Go NAS or go home haha.

JK but kinda seriously. Huge difference.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Gotta get rid of all spinning rust in your system. Go NAS or go home haha.

JK but kinda seriously. Huge difference.

I should just suck it up and buy a 2TB Samsung 850 Pro. Who really needs food anyway, right?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just now, aisle9 said:

I should just suck it up and buy a 2TB Samsung 850 Pro. Who really needs food anyway, right?

That sounds like a terrible idea... Hell I'm running a semi-archaic M500 as my bulk ssd. 

But yea, nas in a different room solves like 100% of all problems... You can even buy an SSD for caching...

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Still don't get it how can your compare a 3000rpm Noctua to a 600rpm Noiseblocker at fixed voltage!!

Even using the 30Db setting. I doubt the 600rpm Noiseblocker can generate that much noise even at full speed. This really isn't a fair apple to apple comparison.

35 minutes ago, Deli said:

Still don't get it how can your compare a 3000rpm Noctua to a 600rpm Noiseblocker at fixed voltage!!

Even using the 30Db setting. I doubt the 600rpm Noiseblocker can generate that much noise even at full speed. This really isn't a fair apple to apple comparison.

Obviously you can't and thus those fans aren't on that list...

That's why at least the 7v comparison is useful because that is the 500-800 rpm range for most good standard fans (obviously the ultra low rpm models aren't always there). 

Against its not a perfect review by any means but it's a heck of a lot better than basically anything we have seen other than spcr's very out of date 5 140 fan comparison. 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

11 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

@WoodenMarker Do you remember the people on here a few months back that were swearing by the GP-14 fans? I remember some coming in and talking about tearing them out of the cases before the commercial release and they were super excited when it was actually available.

They still vouch for the fans. The fans are probably great but I'm still waiting for better data. 

8 hours ago, Deli said:

These readings are from 10cm away to get clearer results. At the usual 1m distance, much better audio equipment is required.

I still have my doubts for the testing methods in this article. I much prefer the real world comparison that SPCR does with the fans on a Thermalright Archon heatsink. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

They still vouch for the fans. The fans are probably great but I'm still waiting for better data. 

These readings are from 10cm away to get clearer results. At the usual 1m distance, much better audio equipment is required.

I still have my doubts for the testing methods in this article. I much prefer the real world comparison that SPCR does with the fans on a Thermalright Archon heatsink. 

As do I, but not to be blunt but SPCR has basically been sitting on its ass for the last year and a half.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS