Can you put a console OS on a normal pc?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
2 minutes ago, finn_t said:

Could you clone a console OS hard drive and put in a PC, so you have a good console?

I highly doubt it

1. The OS is only optimized for the hardware that is in the PS4

2. Games will run like shit or the same as on the PS4 as games arent optimized for any hardware except the ps4's hardware & there no settings to tweak and games have locked frame rate

Could you clone a console OS hard drive and put in a PC, so you have a good console?

Nope not possible 

edit:

For the reasoning behind it, 
Consoles are very different then PC's, they run custom CPU's and APU's.

Right there is where the problem occurs, Custom CPUs. The CPU, as I'm sure you know are made by either intel or AMD. AMD makes custom "Jaguar" CPU's that don't run on the same architecture PC's do. 

2 minutes ago, finn_t said:

I highly doubt it

1. The OS is only optimized for the hardware that is in the PS4

2. Games will run like shit or the same as on the PS4 as games arent optimized for any hardware except the ps4's hardware & there no settings to tweak and games have locked frame rate

No, the console's OS only works on that specific hardware. That is why old consoles have to be emulated, the hardware has to be simulated with software.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, finn_t said:

no not as consumer.

developers do it all the time. there were even demos at events were xbox exclusives were running on windows. but microsoft doesnt want that so consumers cant do it.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

mac only runs on approved hardware though people have got that running on all manner of things then again you are able to install stuff into the OS. given enough time I am sure it might be possible. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

in theory.. yes. in practisce.. no.

the issue with a console's OS is that it is made for a VERY specific piece of hardware. i'll split up the consoles in 3 groups to explain this better:

1: ASIC / custom silicon: talking the early ones like NES, SNES, but also playstation 1 and 2, etc. these have their "OS" tied so deeply into the hardware that it'd be pretty much a complete rewrite. (even a NES/SNES has an "OS" of sorts, although here it's essentially set in hardware.)

2: PowerPC: this is what the old wii is based on, and iirc the wiiU as well. the xbox360 is also in this pool. this is a funky one, since PowerPC is an actual "pc" component, and the graphics chips console manufacturers pair with them are too, but they're usually *very* customized for the exact purpose they'll be fullfilling. an example is the old wii's gpu that had a seperate video ram and framebuffer pool.

3: x86: big example of this is offcourse the "xbox one" and playstation 4: these are *basicly* a $400 computer. they're not quite "off the shelf components" but arent too far off. in fact, the xbox one is running a windows kernel under the hood, so for all intents and purposes the xbox one *is* a pc, just skinned to be a VERY specific purpose: gaming. the issue here is both these OSes are *very* optimized for their specific hardware. microsoft could have left all the plug&play drivers in the os for the xbox one, but that'd be kinda silly if you'd never hook up a USB floppy drive, to give a goofy example.

this last category is the most "probable" but you dont have access to the code you need to make it run on off the shelf hardware, nor can you really even get the OS onto an off the shelf system at all. with hackintoshes you still have the OSX disks, and some other tools. with a console you're basicly building a boat with the wood locked behind bars.

U need to check your processer is a AMD/Intel otherwise....you need install Arm base linux friend.

• 9 months later...

Absolutely. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are basically PC's, after all (unlike the earlier generations). But the OS's they use aren't publicly available.

SteamOS is probably what you're looking for.

On 5/14/2016 at 7:04 AM, vorticalbox said:

mac only runs on approved hardware though people have got that running on all manner of things then again you are able to install stuff into the OS. given enough time I am sure it might be possible. 

Not sure why you mentioned Mac