Gtx 980 ti vs Gtx 1080

Rod1022

Ok so I'm in a painfull doubt right now. The asus strix version of the gtx 980 ti (which is one of the best models) is currently being sold for only $580 on newegg, but that offer will end TODAY. I really need to know if I should get this card RIGHT NOW or wait for the 1080. I just bought a 1440p 144hz monitor and I have no plans about VR. Please peole what do you think I should do?

what sort of question is this? are you for real?

the 1080 will be released by the end of may/june.. and its faster than the 980ti and it will probably cost 600$ like your 980ti deal if not slightly higher..

3 minutes ago, Flesky015 said:

what sort of question is this? are you for real?

the 1080 will be released by the end of may/june.. and its faster than the 980ti and it will probably cost 600$ like your 980ti deal if not slightly higher..

Well I guess that the strix version would be around $700 just like the founders edition, and I was just concerned because nvidia was focusing too much on VR and I'm not using that. But yeah I think I should stick with the 1080

17 minutes ago, Lord Snow said:

Ok so I'm in a painfull doubt right now. The asus strix version of the gtx 980 ti (which is one of the best models) is currently being sold for only $580 on newegg, but that offer will end TODAY. I really need to know if I should get this card RIGHT NOW or wait for the 1080. I just bought a 1440p 144hz monitor and I have no plans about VR. Please peole what do you think I should do?

According to nvidia, the 1080 will be much faster than a Titan X. If I where you, I would go for the 1080 mate.

27 minutes ago, Lord Snow said:

Don't fall for the bait.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

42 minutes ago, Lord Snow said:

Every retailers puts rebates on them for make people buy them cause they know no one will buy when 1080 comes out. Don't take the bait. 

46 minutes ago, Lord Snow said:

Just wait for the 1080. Listen to the fellow enthusiasts above. Even if you buy a 1070, which is a lot cheaper, you're gonna have a much better performance-per-dollar value.

Waiting sucks, I know... but it's for the better.

Moonstone -- MSI B450 Tomahawk Ryzen 5 3600 Gigabyte RTX 2060 G. OC Pro 6GB • 16GB HyperX Fury Black  Corsair CX550M • Aerocool Cylon

Peripherals: Dell P2719H 27'' @ 1080p + Acer VA270H 27'' @ 1080p • Redragon Mitra RGB Red Switch  Superlux HD681 • Logitech Z207

Storage: WD Black SN750 500GB NVMe SSD + Kingston A400 480GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD

Rebound 95 -- PC Chips M519 Socket 7 AT Mobo • Pentium P54C 100Mhz • Cirrus Logic GD3454 1MB GPU • Creative L. Sound Blaster 16 CT2950 • 8MB of RAM

(Check my albums for pictures of the systems)

NDA will end in 4 days and you will get reliable info about performance. 1080 will be around 20-25% faster than 980 Ti, and it will cost over $100 more at release, around $700, so you will have all information needed to decide which one to buy. Price/performance should be similar, if we talk about $580 980 Ti and $700 1080, maybe a bit better on 1080. I'd say take 1080, because of much less cheat, more VRAM and more performance of course. And also Maxwell will join Kepler Gimping Program soon. Just wait few days until serious benchmarks appears. 

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

3 hours ago, Krzych said:

1080 will be around 20-25% faster than 980 Ti

Out of interest, when saying the 1080 will be "20-25% faster than the 980 Ti" you're talking about a reference 980 Ti, right? If so, it's worth noting that the non-reference 980 Ti cards are sometimes quite a lot faster than reference cards. I'm not in the market right now but I'm looking forward to seeing the real numbers with some good benchmarks. I've seen people selling their 980 Ti cards for crazy low prices to get the money for a 1080. I hope the 1080 is an awesome improvement for the sake of new buyers and people who've waited but pre-release hype is often much different to real-world numbers so I'd personally not gamble on something like that until you've seen the benchmarks.

In your case, OP, you have neither right now so I think it makes the most sense to wait for a 1080. It sounds like you just got a great monitor so you might as well wait a little and get the better of the two cards. Have fun. :)

Nvidia claims that the 1080 is faster then a Titan X, but until we see benchmarks, that is just a claim. Also, we dont know if they are looking at the stock cards or the after marked version on liquid nitrogen.

So wait till end of month and you will have the answer. Plus the 980Ti and Titan X will be cheap to pick up after that, since a lot of people wanting to upgrade is selling there cards. Wont surprise me if you can get one for as low as $200, just because someone lacks just that to get a 1080.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

26 minutes ago, Berlihm said:

Out of interest, when saying the 1080 will be "20-25% faster than the 980 Ti" you're talking about a reference 980 Ti, right? If so, it's worth noting that the non-reference 980 Ti cards are sometimes quite a lot faster than reference cards.

Simply 20-25% faster, stock vs stock, oc vs oc, custom vs custom, doesn't matter.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

12 minutes ago, Krzych said:

Simply 20-25% faster, stock vs stock, oc vs oc, custom vs custom, doesn't matter.

Sure, but in this case it does matter. At least to a certain degree. The OP isn't comparing a stock with a stock or an OC with an OC; he/she is considering a highly-overclocked Ti with a stock 1080. Sure, the 1080 might be 25% faster than the 980 Ti but a 1080 might not be anywhere near 25% faster than the Strix card mentioned (but maybe it's more than 25% faster, which would be awesome). We don't know yet.

2 hours ago, Berlihm said:

Sure, but in this case it does matter. At least to a certain degree. The OP isn't comparing a stock with a stock or an OC with an OC; he/she is considering a highly-overclocked Ti with a stock 1080. Sure, the 1080 might be 25% faster than the 980 Ti but a 1080 might not be anywhere near 25% faster than the Strix card mentioned (but maybe it's more than 25% faster, which would be awesome). We don't know yet.

In my opinion it doesn't matter, because custom designs are faster mostly because of factory overclock, and changing clocks manually is a matter of seconds. Debating on which card is faster based on factory clocks that can be changed in one second is just beyond me, I don't get this and how someone can choose card because of out of the box performance that can be changed with one click. This is just meaningless and all tests comparing stock performance of different custom versions are terrible lose of time. Maybe if someone take 10 samples of every custom design, check max overclocks and by this way show which one is the fastest, if results make any sense and max clocks are consistent for certain models, but other than this, this is all completely useless and pointless. You can compare noise levels, temperatures and overlock performance (ONLY if you have many samples of the same custom design since oc is somewhat lottery and you need many samples to prove that certain design overclocks better), but comparing performance on factory clocks is just definition of nonsense. 

Spoiler

Wait for the 1080. Practice some patience, it'll help you in more ways than GPUs. :)

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

8 hours ago, Lord Snow said:

Well I guess that the strix version would be around $700 just like the founders edition, and I was just concerned because nvidia was focusing too much on VR and I'm not using that. But yeah I think I should stick with the 1080

they werent focusing only on vr, however they did say the performance of a titanx on vr is insignificant compared to the GTX1080

they also added native DX12 support which will trump over the 980ti (async-compute wise if they did even implement it, in any rate it will be better)

they also mentioned that its about x1.6 faster than a 980 in the witcher 3, however take it with a grain of salt because its from their site

1080 all the way. That's not even a good price for a 980 Ti. Newegg was selling the MSI 6G Golden Edition 980 Ti with an all copper heatsink a couple of weeks ago for $530 with no rebates.

So I decided to go for the 1080, but do you guys think that I should pre order the founder's edition (for $700) or wait for custom versions?

6 minutes ago, Lord Snow said:

So I decided to go for the 1080, but do you guys think that I should pre order the founder's edition (for $700) or wait for custom versions?

Wait for aftermarket cards, no reason to spend $100 more on a worse version. Nvidia says their board partners' 1080 cards will be available in early June.

source: Lars Weinand from Nvidia 

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Nvidia-Pascal-Hardware-261713/Specials/Founders-Edition-Geforce-GTX-1080-1195206/

Ether one will be a great card so you really can't go wrong, that's the good news. So might as well as everyone else has said wait for the benchmarks to hit.

If anyone asks you never saw me.