faster data transfer?

is there any way to improve data transfer on a hard drive apart from buying ssd? the hard drive i have right now is a 1tb wd blue 7200rpm hd

Not really, the limit is mainly the speed in both drives you are transferring from and to can read/write.

Spoiler

My system specs: Intel Core i5 8600K (5ghz Overclocked) CPU - ASUS Strix Z370-I Motherboard - Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition GPU 

Corsair H55 Water Cooler - 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RAM

"People who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do" - Steve Jobs, 1955-2011.

Nope. RAID 0 would technically make it faster and not require an SSD but unless the second HDD is free, it's not really cheaper and it's certainly not as fast. 

well... you can try defragmenting it to begin with

as well as short stroking it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

i already use defragmentation, and if by short stroking, u mean partition it, ive done that as well..

18 hours ago, Justin90 said:

~snip~

Hi there :)

Could you provide some more details like what are you trying to achieve, what speeds are you  currently getting, what's the condition of your current drive, what are you using your storage drive for?

for the health check I would recommend using WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool. See if the drive passes both the quick and the extended tests.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

drive is about a year old, not much use tho, i use it for windows obv (on one partition) and videos and pictures on the other. i get decent transfer speeds, like from a usb drive or external, about 20-30mbps but transfer to those is alot slower

16 hours ago, Justin90 said:

~snip~

So the problem would be the slower transfer speeds to external drives? I would run a benchmark tool that can tell you at what speeds does your drive work and see if those are similar to the ones in the drive's spec sheet.

Another thing you could do is check the speeds of those external drives on other computers an other ports on your computer. Are you using USB2.0? 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

If you are looking for maximum performance, RAID0 is the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...

my external im using is a 1tb toshiba. it is 3.0

22 hours ago, Justin90 said:

~snip~

USB3.0 shouldn't be bottlenecking the performance of your drive as its limit is well over the limit of the HDD itself. 

A benchmark should give you an answer to what speeds is the drive working with. Post them here if you decide to do that. :)

Captain_WD.